RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:29 am 
Board Emeritus

Even if you don't watch, you never have, you wanna know who took the Iron Throne ... right? :D

The Iron Throne has been melted down to scrap by Drogon, Dany is dead after being stabbed in the heart by Jon Snow, and Bran Stark "Mr. Three Eyes" is the new ruler of Westeros.

Oh, and on the Supergirl season finale, after it was revealed that President whatsisname was working for Lex Luthor, they briefly mention invoking the 25th Amendment against him at the end of the episode, and getting him out of office. Man, Bruce Boxleitner used to be a good guy on Babylon 5. :mrgreen: If only real life was so quick and simple. There you go, at least it works quickly and simply in fiction.

Maybe this needs spoiler tags, too.

Red Daughter gets killed and reabsorbed by Supergirl, giving her a harinel power boost. I liked her very quick redemption arc, but we should have seen more of it. You think Lex dies when his exosuit crashes to the ground and explodes, but no. He teleported back to his lab. Except Lena was there waiting for him, drains his harinel powers, then shoots him twice, killing him. Of course, before he dies, he tries to turn her against Kara by revealing she has been lying to her about being Supergirl.

Might be the end of Lex, except the Monitor is standing over him at the end of the episode, and my guess is we'll be seeing him again in Crisis on Infinite Earths. :D

Only thing I can't understand is Ben Lockwood knows he has been used by Lex Luthor, and you would expect him to HELP her, except his anti alien animus still has him fighting her instead. In the end, his irrational hatred of aliens still keeps him from redeeming himself ... but you see the change in his son (the future) at the end of the episode.

Something called "Leviathan" is mentioned at the end. An organization? An evil force that controls people? Guess we're gonna find out, looks like the big bad of next season.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:41 pm 
Policy Wonk

Speaking of series I like...do you watch The Blacklist? The last few episodes (to me...I do have a wild imagination) seem to be very indirectly following the real white house hijinks. It's about a President who seems to want to destroy the US, and is working with a woman from Homeland Security to effect it. (at the end of the sequence of episodes, the President's real motive is a surprise).

Oh, and Seeker, have you been watching the new Catch-22 miniseries? IMHO, it's much better than the movie, though still not as good as the novel...but movies rarely are.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

Never watched GOT, might now though.

CURB is returning next year.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

Well, I have watched a few eps. of the Blacklist ... never got into it deeply.

Still, it kinda is a bit interesting where they went on Supergirl. Spoiler warning? :D

President "Box" I'll call him has secretly been working with Lex Luthor, who has brainwashed a clone of Supergirl who was raised in Eastern Europe (long story how she came into being) known as "Red Daughter," tries to get her to make Supergirl look like a traitor. Red Daughter has been raised in a fictional Eastern European/Russian republic named Kasnia. Anyway, Lex tries to make himself look like a hero by defeating "Supergirl" (really Red Daughter) after she was (supposedly) leading a Kasnian invasion force that attacked the U.S. So, "Box" makes him Secretary of Alien Affairs. I think there was a animated Superman series where Lex becomes President; here on this show he becomes the power behind the throne. Anyway, Supergirl first writes a story as Kara Danvers that exposes Luthor's plan, then defeats him at the end of the episode. I just think it's really interesting they mention at the end about how they invoke the 25th Amendment, and how it quickly gets rid of this President who has been secretly working with a foreign Eastern European power and an evil scientist to undermine America. :D

All throughout the season, the other big bad has been "Agent Liberty," Ben Lockwood, a guy who eventually becomes the first Secretary of Alien Affairs after they repeal ... the Alien Amnesty Act. He apparently hates aliens for taking away Earth peoples' jobs ... whips up people into attacking aliens at rallies ... etc., etc. He does get powers late in the season, but his main power throughout the season has just been being a douchebag who scapegoats aliens on Earth for peoples' problems, including his own. There are so many obvious parallels between his agents of (so called) Liberty and the MAGATs ...

If you're a fan of the Christoper Reeve movies, they named the season finale "Quest for Peace" (which was the Reeve Superman IV and probably the worst film of the bunch), and Luthor has an assistant named ... Eve Tessmacher. He even yells out her name "Miss Tessmacher!" the same way Gene Hackman used to do it. Heck, there's even a hint she's in love with both Lex, and Superman ... kind of like the first movie.

I have never watched GoT throughout mostly as I've usually watched old episodes on other services as I don't have a HBO subscription, but I have seen enough to get why some folks are kind of upset how they turned Daenarys Tenagren, "Mother of Dragons," into a kind of megalomaniac madwoman. It seems like they found her character shift a little too ... abrupt.

The one thing I will note is you may recall Donald Trump once tweeted about how great the "Wall" was on Game of Thrones. Well, BTW, it is to keep out undead creatures living in the icy North, and BTW, they manage to destroy it and get through it at the end of last season. IOW, the GoT Wall ... failed.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:59 pm 
Policy Wonk

Two famous ladies (AOC and EW) discuss the ending of GoT:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1130864643063328768

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

Just saw the Legends of Tomorrow finale last night.

Why give spoiler warnings? It seems the silliest of the DC TV series, and probably the least watched. I guess I still like it as time travel is central to the plot and several characters from Doctor Who have also moved over to this show. Notably, Arthur Darvill, who played Rip Hunter.

Anyway, timeline changes wiped out a character (same thing as the Flash finale) ... Zari no longer exists AND even Nate doesn't remember her (in fact, in the new timeline she seems to have been replaced by her brother - who died in the other timeline), the Monitor shows up toward the end once again foreshadowing Crisis on Infinite Earths (but all he does, I swear, is sit there, watch, and chew popcorn), Nate dies AND gets brought back to life, at one point to promote a theme park three Legends dress up as Supergirl, the Flash, and Green Arrow :D , and it looks like next season they're going to be fighting some of the worst real life villains from history.

At least they're moving on from tracking and imprisoning magical creatures. It was getting kind of silly, even for a show where they turned into Beebo the furry stuffed animal, to defeat the Big Bad.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

Just saw the Legends of Tomorrow finale last night.

Why give spoiler warnings? It seems the silliest of the DC TV series, and probably the least watched. I guess I still like it as time travel is central to the plot and several characters from Doctor Who have also moved over to this show. Notably, Arthur Darvill, who played Rip Hunter.

Anyway, timeline changes wiped out a character (same thing as the Flash finale) ... Zari no longer exists AND even Nate doesn't remember her (in fact, in the new timeline she seems to have been replaced by her brother - who died in the other timeline), the Monitor shows up toward the end once again foreshadowing Crisis on Infinite Earths (but all he does, I swear, is sit there, watch, and chew popcorn), Nate dies AND gets brought back to life, at one point to promote a theme park three Legends dress up as Supergirl, the Flash, and Green Arrow :D , and it looks like next season they're going to be fighting some of the worst real life villains from history.

At least they're moving on from tracking and imprisoning magical creatures. It was getting kind of silly, even for a show where they turned into Beebo the furry stuffed animal, to defeat the Big Bad.

I didnt read up here as in case I watch GOT someday, but did you like final season cuz I hear many didnt?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

Dunno. Seems some people are more invested in the characters than I am. I haven't read a single G.R.R. Martin book, though I have played Dragon Age; Origins, which many folks say heavily plagiarizes A Song of Ice and Fire. :D I also have not been watching every episode since the beginning. The TV series and the book series have, by necessity, started to diverge. Martin has promised 2 more books, but people are worrying about him delivering. :D

Some of the complainers, maybe with a bigger investment in her character, felt the shift toward Dany being a villain by her was unexpected and unforeseen. It is interesting that she talks about liberating the oppression of the people of Westeros, maybe justifiably kills the Bitch Queen Cersei Lannister :D , but you can see her increasingly acting like a tyrant, and ordering her dragons to burn down even the civilian lives of people in the city. Tyrion - the dwarf - and always the most sensible character on the show, complete with obvious self deprecating humor - tries to help Jon Snow see that her rhetoric and her actions are growing apart. (If I can say, a familiar situation).

The season was kind of short and many folks felt it really didn't give enough time for certain character arcs to develop, particularly hers. There is a petition with thousands of signatures calling for the show's creators to annull the final Season 8, kind of like Bobby Ewing in the shower. Whatevs. Ain't gonna happen.

There will be spinoffs, that's almost certain, although it seems they will be prequels. Apparently long ago prequels, like a thousand years ago. So not the current characters or even their ancestors.

I think it's interesting Westeros seems to be moving toward democracy ... they are starting to elect their kings (although it is Magna Carta style, only the nobility get the vote, not the common people), and Bran was chosen in part because he CAN'T have children, therefore the next king will not get the throne through inheritance. I'm not sure if Martin will go this route in the books.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:01 am 
Policy Wonk

Aww, the Supergirl finale....I was disappointed that it's hinting that next season, Lena Luthor may become an evil one. All because Supergirl delayed telling her who she was. Also, looks like Lex may be resurrected. Ugh. lol I always pictured Lex to be played by Telly Savalas.

One thing I didn't quite get, after the anti-alien fanatic found out Lex had been playing him all this time, why did he remain evil? I guess fanatics stay fanatics no matter what they find out. ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:37 am 
Board Emeritus

I'm not going to spoiler box this. But fine ... as always ... spoiler warning... :D

.... warned? ....

So, although Lena struggled this season with moral ambiguity ... particularly, the fact that one of her test subjects for Harinel experiments died, and she hasn't told anyone yet ... and James broke up with her over her agreeing to turn this data over to the government (although I'm betting at this point she's changed her mind) ... oh, and she shot dead Lex in cold blood. (Well, hell, his own mom tried to poison him, and that shows even Lillian realizes what a danger to the world he is.) I don't think she's going to become a villain on the show, but there is now going to be a strain in the Kara-Lena relationship, and I think that arc will definitely drive the next season. Thing is, Kara doesn't know she knows, and she so far won't tell Kara she does. But, look, if she thinks about it, this "betrayal" can be gotten over ... most people ultimately realize one of the reasons superheroes don't reveal their secret identities is to protect the people around them ... that would include Lena. Also, in their particular case, Kara knows Lena was starting to get very testy with her other identity, and she didn't want to ruin their friendship.

We don't know what the Monitor standing over Lex at the end means, but we know he's a cosmic being and he probably can even bring folks back from the dead. My guess is, as I said, Lex is needed for Crisis on Infinite Earths. We're not sure what he was up to by bringing Martian Manhunter's evil brother to Earth, but Monitor will probably say it was also necessary for the crisis, & cosmic balance, & whatever else. On the Legends finale, he showed up toward the end of the show, and in typical humorous fashion for that goofy show, just sat there and ate popcorn. :D (The Legends will be part of the Crisis crossover, and so will Batwoman, whose show is premiering this year. Of all the characters likely to survive Crisis, well, she has to get an A rating.)

Yeah, I thought they were going to give Ben Lockwood a redemption arc. I thought maybe the death of his wife and the realization he was basically being played by Lex Luthor would give him a change of heart, and he would actually HELP Supergirl against Lex, maybe also Red Daughter, who he also betrayed. But no, and you're right, anti alien hatred remained such a driving animus toward the end, that he still attacks her, but since she needs to deal with Lex, James holds him off. However, it looks like his son will bring the redemption in the family, and you can see HIS change of heart toward aliens in one of the final scenes.

One final thing ... no clue what "Leviathan" is but in the DC comics, it actually seems more connected to Batman and the League of Assassins and Tali al-Ghul. Be interesting to see where they're going with this. Seems like they are hinting that Leviathan was using Lex (as if anybody could) and they set up Eve Tessmacher with him for THEIR purposes.