Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: RECORD PLAYER!!!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

oh i finally got me a record player!!! i wasnt looking for a fancy stereo i wanted a record player.
i got me one. the sound is LOUD for this thing im thrilled!!!

im pulling out my remaining albums one by one and playing them. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
i wanted the old sounds of the record player. :)

..You never turned around to see the frowns on the jugglers and the clowns
When they all did tricks for you
You never understood that it ain't no good
You shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you
You used to ride on the chrome horse with your diplomat
Who carried on his shoulder a Siamese cat
Ain't it hard when you discover that
He really wasn't where it's at
After he took from you everything he could steal

How does it feel?
How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone?

Post subject: Re: RECORD PLAYER!!!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:33 pm 
Policy Wonk

I've been trying to collect albums, slowly, for a while now. I have a turntable but I've not yet hooked it up. I'm hoping to get the basement finished at some point and it'll be the media room.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

Nothing beat the sound of vinyl records even if they have some pops, hisses, and skips. That's the way vinyl was meant to be.

I have a turntable that I can hook up to my computer or I can use some patch cords and hook it up to my stereo. I converted nearly 300 vinyl records about 10 years ago to digital with the turntable. It's a lot easier than it sounds. I'd record the album to my computer using a program to convert it from analog to digital. Once the album was recorded I'd go into the program and put in the breaks to separate the individual tracks. That way, I can listen to single tracks, put them on shuffle, or listen to the entire album on a digital player.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

i just did Dylans Greatest Hits twice, now Credence Clearwater Revivals Chronicle. 20 of The Best tunes ever.

this is so fun!!!!

im not looking, im just pulling one out and playing it. lol.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:53 pm 
Policy Wonk

I find vinyl has a bit more of a warmer sound. It's even moreso if you use an older system to play them on. I have (had?) a console stereo that put out amazing sound. It took up too much space so I tried to give it away, no one wanted it. I removed everything and then broke it down into pieces which will go into my jukebox project if I ever get started.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:58 am 
Board Emeritus

About ten years ago I located a belt for a turn table and was able to play my albums again. The belt was a new old one, had been on a shelf at a store long beyond the pull date, I didn't last long. I was however able to play them again for recording to a file on my first laptop.

The albums had been stored for a long time, and they went into storage in rough shape. After loud sounds a work had diminished my hearing to the degree that it did, I found that hiss and those scratches and pops didn't add to my hearing loss well.

I had to do something so I took the albums to the sink and in warm but not too hot soapy water I washed them with a scrap of velvet cloth, using the velvet like a fine brush to get down into the groves. Then I rinsed them well before they dried, then rinsed them again lightly in rubbing alcohol.

That helped a lot.

For recording I had long used rubbing alcohol in a dropper, dropping drops on an album ahead of where the needle was such that the needle was always running in liquid as it scratched it's way along a grove. When I made my recordings that last time the washing and this recording method worked well together.

It cleaned up this song for recording nicely, which is one of my favorite system sound test tracks going way back to a time when I was young:

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

If one crank's that song it gives the speaker stacks a through work out. If there's a buzz or rattle coming from a box, horn, or radiator lens, it can be found and corrected before a show begins.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:13 am 
Board Emeritus

About ten years ago I located a belt for a turn table and was able to play my albums again. The belt was a new old one, had been on a shelf at a store long beyond the pull date, I didn't last long. I was however able to play them again for recording to a file on my first laptop.

The albums had been stored for a long time, and they went into storage in rough shape. After loud sounds a work had diminished my hearing to the degree that it did, I found that hiss and those scratches and pops didn't add to my hearing loss well.

I had to do something so I took the albums to the sink and in warm but not too hot soapy water I washed them with a scrap of velvet cloth, using the velvet like a fine brush to get down into the groves. Then I rinsed them well before they dried, then rinsed them again lightly in rubbing alcohol.

That helped a lot.

For recording I had long used rubbing alcohol in a dropper, dropping drops on an album ahead of where the needle was such that the needle was always running in liquid as it scratched it's way along a grove. When I made my recordings that last time the washing and this recording method worked well together.

It cleaned up this song for recording nicely, which is one of my favorite system sound test tracks going way back to a time when I was young:

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

If one crank's that song it gives the speaker stacks a through work out. If there's a buzz or rattle coming from a box, horn, or radiator lens, it can be found and corrected before a show begins.

I've rinsed and air dried my albums before. I've also used a liquid and record "squeegee" on the before I played/recorded them. I hadn't thought of using a drop of rubbing alcohol at the beginning of a recording but the next time I record an album I'll try that.

I use Easy Creator program and I can use one of the controls to remove/reduce the amount of pops and hiss. It doesn't eliminate all but most.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:01 am 
Policy Wonk

As long as you're going retro, pick up a REAL old record player, like the one we had as our only music player when I was a kid...the Victrola! No electricity involved; the volume control was opening the doors wider.

Attachments:
Victrola.jpg
Victrola.jpg [ 113.83 KiB | Viewed 967 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

i tried one that hooked up, ran thru, my laptop.
there was No volume at all. im one for Loud music.
i tried hooking my extra lappie speakers to it but that didnt help at All.
it went back.

this one is a Victrola and has really good Volume. adding my speakers Did NOTHING. lolol.

Last edited by rainwater on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

My old turntable is around somewhere. It works except that the belt got old and they don't make replacements. No, a rubber band won't work.

Still have the preamp and power amp, though the latter needs an output transistor after a short in the speaker lines where the protective circuit didn't protect. I don't think they make those either.

Knew I should have stuck with tube amps.

Speakers I gave away. They were 4 feet tall and weighed damn near what I do. Since the other components didn't work, and since I'd long since shredded the surround on the woofer cones making the building shake, they were just too heavy to keep moving around.

Records are safely stored. Nobody gets those. You'll pry my dead hands off them.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

I find vinyl has a bit more of a warmer sound. It's even moreso if you use an older system to play them on. I have (had?) a console stereo that put out amazing sound. It took up too much space so I tried to give it away, no one wanted it. I removed everything and then broke it down into pieces which will go into my jukebox project if I ever get started.

Sounds like an interesting and challenging project.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

My old turntable is around somewhere. It works except that the belt got old and they don't make replacements. No, a rubber band won't work.

Still have the preamp and power amp, though the latter needs an output transistor after a short in the speaker lines where the protective circuit didn't protect. I don't think they make those either.

Knew I should have stuck with tube amps.

Speakers I gave away. They were 4 feet tall and weighed damn near what I do. Since the other components didn't work, and since I'd long since shredded the surround on the woofer cones making the building shake, they were just too heavy to keep moving around.

Records are safely stored. Nobody gets those. You'll pry my dead hands off them.

Isn't there a store nearby where you can still but turntable belts and stylus? If not, here's a site where you can order a belt.
lpgear

I checked Google Earth to see if the store I went to, years ago, was still in business and they were. I Googled them and they're at the same location as I remembered and they service stereos, sells vinyl albums (new and used), and now does home theater installation. Hopefully, there is a store near you where you can buy replacement parts or have your equipment serviced.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:02 pm 
Policy Wonk

As long as you're going retro, pick up a REAL old record player, like the one we had as our only music player when I was a kid...the Victrola! No electricity involved; the volume control was opening the doors wider.

just wind it up eh, it was those thick heavy records too wasnt it?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:09 am 
Policy Wonk

just wind it up eh, it was those thick heavy records too wasnt it?

Yes, although it also was able to play "modern" LPs and 45s.

We had to wind it up a lot because the spring broke. My uncle repaired it by cutting the spring where it had broken and reattaching the longest section remaining.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:49 am 
Board Emeritus

Yes, although it also was able to play "modern" LPs and 45s.

We had to wind it up a lot because the spring broke. My uncle repaired it by cutting the spring where it had broken and reattaching the longest section remaining.

Oh no! According to the law of wind up spring motors, whenever a spring is repaired in a family like that, what follows is the person who repaired it warns everyone else in the family not to ever wind it up too hard, again.

Again, winding it up too hard will always have been the agreed upon determined cause of what broke it "in the first place," and the person who wound it up too hard will never live it down. The phrase "in the first place" was coined for dealing with extending the blame for broken spring motors.

Then every time the spring is wound up from then on, whoever is in the room at the time tells the person winding the spring not to wind up it up too hard every blasted time the spring is wound up from then on. And mentions again the name of the person who broke it last time.

And then it must be debated and redefined what amounts to winding it too hard, everyone in the family will have a different opinion about that.

From then on if you weren't in the room all alone while winding it up, the renewal of the family warning which must never be neglected, will drown out the music playing before and during any rewinding of the spring.

:|

Even if the spring were to have been replaced it the machine with the spring motor would have still been in ruins forever. New springs also come with that same family winding it up warning.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

Isn't there a store nearby where you can still but turntable belts and stylus? If not, here's a site where you can order a belt.
lpgear

I checked Google Earth to see if the store I went to, years ago, was still in business and they were. I Googled them and they're at the same location as I remembered and they service stereos, sells vinyl albums (new and used), and now does home theater installation. Hopefully, there is a store near you where you can buy replacement parts or have your equipment serviced.

Thanks for the tip. If I could pick up, say, a MC240 for less than our house costs I'd be in business except for the speakers. They re-issued the MC275 a couple of years back, looked interesting, and only the instant disappearance of their limited run stopped me from doing a very bad thing and spending a great deal of money that I don't really have. On the speakers, though, they make or break a system, and I have other priorities than dropping several grand on a decent pair.

Indeed there's no sound like a good vinyl playback. Mmmmmmm. I had a brief CD phase because they have a dynamic range closer to what you hear in the mixing room, but it passed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

Thanks for the tip. If I could pick up, say, a MC240 for less than our house costs I'd be in business except for the speakers. They re-issued the MC275 a couple of years back, looked interesting, and only the instant disappearance of their limited run stopped me from doing a very bad thing and spending a great deal of money that I don't really have. On the speakers, though, they make or break a system, and I have other priorities than dropping several grand on a decent pair.

Indeed there's no sound like a good vinyl playback. Mmmmmmm. I had a brief CD phase because they had a dynamic range closer to what you hear in the mixing room, but it passed.

I still have a set of Bose speakers (bookshelf style) I bought 25 years ago that I use and they sound good enough to me. I'm not an audiophile so having high-end systems and speakers isn't a priority to me. Truthfully, I couldn't tell the difference of a record played on a high-end system or a mid-end system so for me as long as it sounds good that's all that matters. I have a small 10-watt Teac radio/alarm that works with an iPod and I've listened to music on it and to me it sounds good.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

Don't go by me. I got spoiled listening to too many sessions in the studio.

The Bose that I remember were bookshelf size, but they had something like 9 little drivers in the box and their own electronic unit that went between them and the stereo output. They sounded great, and they cranked if that was your thing. They were darn good equipment.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

Don't go by me. I got spoiled listening to too many sessions in the studio.

The Bose that I remember were bookshelf size, but they had something like 9 little drivers in the box and their own electronic unit that went between them and the stereo output. They sounded great, and they cranked if that was your thing. They were darn good equipment.

What you had access to was way above what 99% of the population have.

The Bose Accoustimass 7 system I have is a three-speaker system with a sub-woofer. I don't know what power the speakers can handle and I couldn't find it on the internet. The only reference I found was Bose doesn't give out info much on their specs. Still, they're good speakers and they should be for the price I paid for them 25 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Probably more like 99.8%. They're big on phase-aligned boxes and lots of them, and engineers wear ear plugs when customers want their playbacks loud. They make a living with their ears.

Mostly you want extreme definition, to hear any little thing someone did wrong before it gets out there and the usual people in audiences get all excited about discovering your boo-boo.

Hard to go wrong with any high-end Bose setup, though of course audiophiles who write most of the reviews are a notoriously picky bunch. They always rip the big Klipsch, but dunno, sounds like a good speaker to me, and you only need a few nice clean triode single-ended tube watts to make them go.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

Probably more like 99.8%. They're big on phase-aligned boxes and lots of them, and engineers wear ear plugs when customers want their playbacks loud. They make a living with their ears.

Mostly you want extreme definition, to hear any little thing someone did wrong before it gets out there and the usual people in audiences get all excited about discovering your boo-boo.

Hard to go wrong with any high-end Bose setup, though of course audiophiles who write most of the reviews are a notoriously picky bunch. They always rip the big Klipsch, but dunno, sounds like a good speaker to me, and you only need a few nice clean triode single-ended tube watts to make them go.

I can understand why engineers would wear ear plugs.

Audiophiles tend to fall into two categories; snobs and friends. The snobs are the ones who know everything there is to know about stereos, speakers, woofers, sub-woofers, etc.. and figure they own the best. Friends are those who are also knowable but they're not pretentious and are helpful in giving you good advice. Back in the late 70s, one of the guys worked with was an audiophile-snob and I asked for his opinion on a JVC system I was interested in. He went on about how JVC wasn't very good and how Marantz was the best you could buy. I gave him a couple of brochures on the JVC system components specs and he nearly had a heart attack. He was saying the JVC system specs was better than the specs of his new Marantz system. When I told him I was going to buy the JVC he wanted to accompany me to check the system out because it couldn't be better than his Marantz. When we got the to stereo store he started comparing the system to his with the saleslady and to put it mildly, she cut him down to size. While he was talking up Marantz she told him Marantz was sold to another company a couple of year earlier and their quality went downhill but they're still a good audio company. I bought the system and it came with those humongous speakers that could have doubled as an end table. He later admitted, the JVC system was very good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:05 pm 
Policy Wonk

I could never, and stll cant, get myself to toss out my boxes of records. That said, I havent listend to them in years. Some I digitized others not. But I seem content with online services now. But my music listening is down.

Yeah the pops and scratches are part of memories...almost part of the music itself. And we pretty much had to listen to whole albums in order, rather than just songs we like best (sort of like our news/information consumption. Not sure we're better off in that respect.

Remember when (speaker/tuner/receiver) size mattered. Sorry, but micro sizing tech is a vast improvement...at least convenience.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

funny how playing records in a time of relocating brings the flashbacks of every other move.
moves that played the same albums, records, with the crackles and snaps and songs. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

im going thru all the albums, keeping most thrift-ing some.

ive got a lot of Dylan. :rw) :rw)
got a lot of peter paul Mary which may get donated.

last time i did this i got rid of all the Beatles and Stones.
cant remember who i gifted them to, must have been important eh. :rw) :rw)

Madman Across the Water is one of the best albums evah.
all of Robbie Robertson is up there too.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

:rw) ohmy, some of these albums are warped!! they still play ok tho.

ive got lots of dylan in good shape. :D :mrgreen: