Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Red Dead 2, Anyone?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yah I'm getting old and video games don't have the same appeal they used to. But I've been waiting on Red Dead 2 since forever. Tonight at 9pm, I'm heading to the wild west.

Post subject: Re: Red Dead 2, Anyone?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm an RPG guy for the most part.

Since nobody makes SRPGs anymore, or not ones I really consider true to what I like in the genre, not even Bioware ... sorry, just can't get into Mass Effect and they ruined Dragon Age ... oh yeah, well, there still is Pillars of Eternity ...

I still play MMORPGs, and I get why people say the most popular ones are barely MMOs anymore; but honestly I mostly play them like SRPGs, anyway, since nobody makes those anymore. Of course, they also say they're barely RPGs anymore, either, and there's that.

I don't own a console. I used to like FPS/shooters. Wolfenstein was one of the last ones I played, recently, I think.

BTW, they're calling Red Dead action-adventure, but looking over the description, seems to have some RPG-like elements. Not just purely a shooter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm an RPG guy as well. I used to play Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Ultima 4 and 5 on the C64. EverQuest etc.

Rockstar makes stellar open world games (GTA V is one of my favorite games, albeit it's pretty hardcore).

Even though it is listed action/adventure, RDR2 it's pretty much in line with RPGs.

There's a linear overall story, but it's a huge open sandbox world - there's an inventory system/cash-stores/decisions to change story outcomes/weapon's upkeep/ quests etc.

And I think it's a 60+ hours to complete. For me that means 200 hours ;)

But yah, without a console folks are out of luck, for now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

Baldur's Gate. (2).

*sigh*. I am still in love with Aerie my waifu. They clipped her wings. Not that Jaheira didn't have her ... aspects, but the relationship was weird. Viconia the drow ... well you could redeem her from evil, but it was so hard.

Note it was a choose your elf situation: Aerie the (formerly) winged elf, Jaheira the wood elf, Viconia the drow elf. I thought that was weird especially if your PC was a dwarf male.

So many things keep saying they are its spiritual successor.

Recently, Pillars of Eternity comes very close.

There were many mods. Some I didn't get. The one that let you romance your own sister was just freaking creepy.

PC gaming is mostly moribund, not entirely dead, but only the MMOs are ... 'healthy' and especially if you don't have the dominant platform.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

You know, I think I have Pillars for the PS4. But like everything else in recent times it never got played and the PS4 upstairs collects dust.

I used to review games for living back between 1999-2003, then as a volunteer for a number of years after the site was no longer making money. But over the years I'm just not that into games anymore (plus the kid etc.).

I started getting into board games (Settlers of Catan) and back into DnD for a bit there. But alas, things there have petered as well.

It's funny my son is now 12 and he's playing all my old games. He finished my Dark Souls Bloodbourne games and keeps asking me when I'm going to play them again. Then he reminds me that he's better than I am since he completed them and I quit.