RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:06 am 
Board Emeritus

For the past 2 Sundays I binged watched Agents of SHIELD season 4.

I'm glad others noticed this besides myself. This is another reason I like this show. The writers give us some wake up juice to go with our current alternate reality.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/04/26 ... ots-trump/

Nevertheless, she persisted
www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:10 am 
Board Emeritus

The season finale of Supergirl also was entitled "Nevertheless, She Persisted".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:32 am 
Board Emeritus

The season finale of Supergirl also was entitled "Nevertheless, She Persisted".

:o Damn! Awesome. I dont watch the series so I didn't know.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:22 am 
Board Emeritus

The writers of the series are apparently fairly liberal.

Spoiler warning? :D

Supergirl's sister, Alex Danvers, came out as lesbian this season, and her girlfriend is a policewoman of 'color'.

The President is a woman, and played by Linda Carter, and they revealed that she's also an alien. (From space, not Mexico.)

The theme of this season is about aliens on Earth (there are many besides Supergirl the Kryptonian) and this organization called CADMUS trying to force them all to leave. (It's run by Lex Luthor's mother, Lillian Luthor. Meanwhile, Lex's sister Lena is friends with Kara/Supergirl.)

... sound familiar? Think they're riffing on a climate of xenophobia right now?

Supergirl's boyfriend this season, Mon-El, is a Daxamite. Daxam apparently was near Krypton and the two planets never got along. Anyway, it also seems to have been a very elitist society, where the aristocracy were basically nasty frat boys, served by slaves. She finds out Mon-El is the prince of Daxam (his mother Rhea is played by Teri Hatcher, who was Lois on Lois & Clark. Clark, Dean Cain, plays Kara & Alex's father on the show. He's been forced to work for CADMUS.) Mon-El tries to turn his back on the Daxamite "way of life" and Rhea hates on him and Kara for convincing him to stay with her, rather than going back to Daxam.

So the (remaining) Daxamites (their planet was also destroyed by the destruction of Krypton) invade. In the season finale, Lena helps drive all the Daxamites out, but this method (putting lead in the atmosphere) forces Mon-El to leave, too. Can't have a finale without a tearjerker.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:34 am 
Board Emeritus

I was waiting for Carter to have a cameo in Wonder Woman. Disappointed it didn't happen.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

Just finished binge watching the latest season of Brooklyn Nine Nine, Orange is the New Black, GLOW (I used to watch the real GLOW back in the 80s) and The Ranch (no idea why I watch this, it's pretty bad). Netflix up here sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:14 am 
Board Emeritus

I watched the first season of Marvel's new series The Defenders yesterday.

First, the pros. Matt Murdock, AKA Daredevil, realizes (finally) that he must make being the Daredevil the central focus of his life because that's "who I am." Luke Cage recognizes that his life's mission is to help people. Jessica is a crass, rude, potty-mouth with a heart of gold. I got introduced to the Iron Fist here, not having seen the series. He is Marvel's version of Oliver Queen (the Arrow). He is my least favorite of the 4 superheroes.

I like how they reluctantly work together to solve...

And this is the big con of the show, stopping the shadow criminal organization The Hand from destroying New York. Why they wanted to destroy it is beyond me. They wanted to use the Iron Fist to open a gateway into (something) and help them accomplish their goal of (getting home...? or something)

In sum: I like the character development for the most part. I'm a fan of the Daredevil series and like that Matt will focus his attention on being an asskicker instead of hiding behind being a lawsuit attorney. But the plot of this show, I mean WTF? Couldn't they come up with a villain plot line that made sense? Despite superhuman powers, can't we have some normalcy to our bad guys such as trying to take over the world using money and power without mysticism? Or one like Wilson Fisk who just wants to control Hell's Kitchen?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

I've now binge watched all episodes ... well, starting with 3, as they really don't team up until 3. :D

*** Spoiler warning. You have been warned, ****

So, apparently, to make "the substance" that keeps members of the Hand immortal, they need the bones of dragons. And they used the last of it to resurrect Elektra, who becomes "The Black Sky". Where else can they be found beside Kun Lun in the Far East? Apparently, thousands of years ago, they roamed under what is today New York. Why New York? Who knows, maybe they liked the Delis. Who can figure?

Anyway, also, apparently, removing all those dragon bones will make New York collapse. You may have wondered what was holding up NYC, now you know, it's dragon bones, and when they're gone, the whole city will collapse. The Hand doesn't seem to care. They don't seem like Ras-al-Ghul in Batman where they go out of their way to destroy cities like Gotham, they just kinda don't care what happens to them as long as they maintain their power and immortality. So, sorry New York, we five people need to live another 1000 years.

So, apparently the Iron Fist is key, somehow, to opening this chamber where the dragon bones are. Why Elektra & the rest don't just kill him after he opens it for them, well, who knows. The next thing I'm about to say is only a spoiler if you are unconscious about the fact that they've already announced Daredevil Season 3. Matt Murdock & Elektra appear to die in the implosion of Midland Circle tower, whereas the other Defenders survive. Of course, whether he used dragon bones or not, cut to last scene where he's apparently lying wounded but alive in (of all places) a nunnery, and someone calls out to a nun named Maggie, which may apparently be his mother. He's still alive. As to Elektra - well, heck, she's already been resurrected once. But we don't know what happened to her.

Whether they will team up again certainly seems to be set up, although there has been no formal announcement of a second Defenders series. There were some hints as to whether the Punisher might show up, in at least one of the episodes (though being the solo act he is, not joining the Defenders). No, he never does, but they tease his Netflix series at the end. They do get some support from Colleen Wing, "Stick," and Misty Knight (who seems soon to get her signature bionic arm.)

The only one who ever wears a costume is Daredevil. Luke Cage never calls himself "Power Man" or wears a costume. Danny Rand shows off his dragon tattoo at least once, but never wears his signature costume. And Jessica Jones keeps joking about never wearing a cape or tights. She never does. I really like her wise-ass attitude. And she drinks a lot. :mrgreen:

I liked it. Even if basically the team is super strong woman (JJ), super strong man (LC) who's also indestructible, martial artist whose fist is super strong when glowing (IF), and ... Daredevil, who while a very skilled fighter, mostly has powers in the realm of enhanced senses while being blind. Some more super ability variety might have been interesting. Like a guy who sneezes fire, or something. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:14 am 
Board Emeritus

I guess I thought the plot was so dumb that all the dragon talk didn't register. But I remember it was bones buried under NYC.

Murdock has super healing powers, so I assumed he survived because of that. As for Elektra, who cares?

Has the Punisher been released on Netflix yet? Haven't seen it. But that's one series I'm looking forward to.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:37 am 
Board Emeritus

*Spoiler warning still in effect?*

Daredevil's not supposed to have any super powers, beyond the fact that he has enhanced senses, and some kind of echolocation ability that came out of his blindness. I don't think he has Wolverine-like healing factor.

I was kinda hoping Elektra might turn on the Hand and join the Defenders, go good again. The Jennifer Garner version went heroic. :D I admit I was really taken by surprise when she kills Sigourney Weaver and takes her place in the Hand.

The Punisher's supposed to be coming out on Netflix -- soon (sooner than the other series). Not sure if they have a exact release date. Of the two film versions, I have to admit I liked the Thomas Jane 2004 version a lot better than the 1989 Dolph Lundgren one. I never saw the 2008 Ray Stevenson reboot, though I suspect neither did a lot of people. The 2004 film has its funny moments and is set in the Tampa Bay area. I really like his misfit sidekicks that he lives with. Plus John Travolta as the mob boss-villain.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:50 am 
Board Emeritus

The Punisher's supposed to be coming out on Netflix -- soon (sooner than the other series). Not sure if they have a exact release date. Of the two film versions, I have to admit I liked the Thomas Jane 2004 version a lot better than the 1989 Dolph Lundgren one. I never saw the 2008 Ray Stevenson reboot, though I suspect neither did a lot of people. The 2004 film has its funny moments and is set in the Tampa Bay area. I really like his misfit sidekicks that he lives with. Plus John Travolta as the mob boss-villain.

I loved the 2004 film. The end scene alone where he drags Travolta through the burning wreckage is worth the ticket price :rw)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5