Is this the high-water mark of our freedoms? Must-see.

News and events of the day
bird

Re: Is this the high-water mark of our freedoms? Must-see.

Post by bird »

JoeMemphis wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:54 pm So you vote for an administration that’s pushing inflationary policy decisions, so I guess you support inflation. So if you vote for a candidate that supports capital punishment that means you favor capital punishment.

It’s a nonsensical argument to claim that in a representative democracy that a vote for a candidate is support and agreement with each and every decision that candidate makes during their term.

I had friends that voted twice for Bill Clinton. Two happen to be ministers. I doubt they agreed with him getting blowjobs in the Oval Office from staffers during working hours. But they voted for him anyway.
Besides Hillary, Bill and Monica who did his actions, stupid as they were, impact?

C’mon, you can say it…
Drak

Post by Drak »

Drak wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:38 am

Notice how Republicans purposely want to see the country crash and burn just to win elections?

Case in point. They complain about the gas crisis. So The House passes a bill to crack down on price gouging at gas stations but every single Republican voted no.

They complain about a baby formula shortage and blame it on Biden, not the private sector. So the House passes a 28 million dollar bill to address it and almost every single Republican votes no. Republicans are actively trying to make things worse so they can run on how bad things are. See Greg Abbott’s attack on the supply chains as another example.

Dems are NOT the problem.

Another example. Straight from their mouths as to the plan. Video at link.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1 ... 6790364169

Sahil Kapur @sahilkapur - Verified
Rep. Chip Roy (R-TX): "For the next 18 months, our job is to do everything we can to slow all of that down to get to December of 2022, and then get in here and lead... 18 more months of chaos and the inability to get stuff done—that's what we want."

Gee, really?
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:26 pm Sure they did. But lives WERE saved. But you don't give a shit for human life, do you? Just profits.

No, it's NOT the same exact argument.

I'm talking about ACTUAL LIVES SAVED during a worldwide pandemic that killed millions and millions.

It's a different argument when your side demands to curtail sexual freedoms, their right to be who they feel they are, and the woman's right to her own medical decisions, because THAT does NOT affect anyone else, period. The argument about the fetus is a RELIGIOUS BELIEF argument, not a scientific nor medical argument.

But you know why you don't care about any of this? Because it doesn't affect YOU. That's ALL you care about. You don't care if a woman is forced to carry a fetus in an ectopic pregnancy, which WILL KILL HER if she doesn't have an abortion - but you're fine with the state forbidding her to have that abortion, that would save her life. If they put gays in ovens and roasted them a la Hitler, you wouldn't mind at all, because you aren't gay. You would do NOTHING for THEIR rights to a free life in this country. All you care about is yourself and the corporations.
My side?

I don’t know that I belong to either team. I caucus mainly with the Republicans but I don’t see myself as a Republican. I’m an independent that leans conservative.

As for Roe, I haven’t opposed Roe. I didn’t favor overturning Roe because my personal belief was that it was precedent and I personally didn’t think the viability standard set via Roe/Casey was unreasonable. But that doesn’t mean I am about to vote for a progressive because there are many other issues that are important to me and where I have strong differences with progressives/liberals. I’m not saying anyone is evil. Just saying we don’t agree.

You are all into condemning people because they don’t vote as you please. That’s up to you. Drak seems to follow suit. It’s stupid IMO but you have every right to be stupid. You simple minded guys may be single issue voters but most people vote for a candidate or a party for a number of reasons and I guess that’s just too complicated for you guys to understand. So you turn every policy discussion into a pissing match about who votes for who. Personally I don’t give a shit who you vote for. I have never asked nor do I care. What’s laughable to me is that you and Drak get all worked up over who I vote for. You don’t care why. It just isn’t for your party so you rant and demonize anyone who doesn’t toe your party line.

Have a nice weekend. I’m parked outside my favorite bar. I got better things to do.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

JoeMemphis wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:08 pm I just point out that the people who oppose abortion use the exact same argument.
That doesn't mean their argument isn't flawed and without basis.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

ProfX wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:04 pm That doesn't mean their argument isn't flawed and without basis.
That doesn’t mean it is.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Ya know, Joe, if somebody asserts something, even if they claim to be asserting something someone else believes, I want to know what the basis is for the argument. Just telling me the argument exists is not convincing. The evidence and basis for the argument is.

I really am persuadable, but not if you're not going to tell me why your position is correct, or what supports it.

That an abortion affects some form of organic life I have never disputed. So does masturbation. The question is, is it a human person? The court said it is coming close to being one, primarily after viability. Thus the limits on abortion in the latter half of 2nd and third trimester. It seems like a workable framework to me.

Of course you have the right to disagree, but then if you hold a different position ... what is the basis for it? I need something more than a religious doctrine or dogma. Scientifically, I would argue saying human personhood starts at fertilization or conception is not only medically and scientifically wrong (the medical community even says abortion only takes place after uterine implantation) ... and what is more practically problematic with that definition is it might make many forms of contraception (like Plan B) or fertility treatments (like IVF) illegal, as well as stem cell research.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:16 pm That doesn’t mean it is.
So you just park outside bars and sit there?
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:03 pm My side?

I don’t know that I belong to either team. I caucus mainly with the Republicans but I don’t see myself as a Republican. I’m an independent that leans conservative.

As for Roe, I haven’t opposed Roe. I didn’t favor overturning Roe because my personal belief was that it was precedent and I personally didn’t think the viability standard set via Roe/Casey was unreasonable. But that doesn’t mean I am about to vote for a progressive because there are many other issues that are important to me and where I have strong differences with progressives/liberals. I’m not saying anyone is evil. Just saying we don’t agree.

You are all into condemning people because they don’t vote as you please. That’s up to you. Drak seems to follow suit. It’s stupid IMO but you have every right to be stupid. You simple minded guys may be single issue voters but most people vote for a candidate or a party for a number of reasons and I guess that’s just too complicated for you guys to understand. So you turn every policy discussion into a pissing match about who votes for who. Personally I don’t give a shit who you vote for. I have never asked nor do I care. What’s laughable to me is that you and Drak get all worked up over who I vote for. You don’t care why. It just isn’t for your party so you rant and demonize anyone who doesn’t toe your party line.

Have a nice weekend. I’m parked outside my favorite bar. I got better things to do.
Look, Joe, you said I was only against the GOP - that I had no argument as to WHY to vote for the Dems.

Well, I gave you that argument - what Dems stand for and why I support them.

So, you ignored that, and attacked something else, instead of debating policy - which you said is what you wanted to do.

You are a complete failure. It's hard to believe ANYONE gave you a college degree. You really are a dumbass.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

ProfX wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:20 pm Ya know, Joe, if somebody asserts something, even if they claim to be asserting something someone else believes, I want to know what the basis is for the argument. Just telling me the argument exists is not convincing. The evidence and basis for the argument is.

I really am persuadable, but not if you're not going to tell me why your position is correct, or what supports it.

That an abortion affects some form of organic life I have never disputed. So does masturbation. The question is, is it a human person? The court said it is coming close to being one, primarily after viability. Thus the limits on abortion in the latter half of 2nd and third trimester. It seems like a workable framework to me.

Of course you have the right to disagree, but then if you hold a different position ... what is the basis for it? I need something more than a religious doctrine or dogma. Scientifically, I would argue saying human personhood starts at fertilization or conception is not only medically and scientifically wrong (the medical community even says abortion only takes place after uterine implantation) ... and what is more practically problematic with that definition is it might make many forms of contraception (like Plan B) or fertility treatments (like IVF) illegal, as well as stem cell research.
I don’t think I said you were wrong. In fact, I said that I was in agreement on Roe. I simply stated that the other side has an argument as well. I just don’t dismiss it because I don’t hold the same view.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:27 pm Look, Joe, you said I was only against the GOP - that I had no argument as to WHY to vote for the Dems.

Well, I gave you that argument - what Dems stand for and why I support them.

So, you ignored that, and attacked something else, instead of debating policy - which you said is what you wanted to do.

You are a complete failure. It's hard to believe ANYONE gave you a college degree. You really are a dumbass.
You are the one doing all the personal attacks. That’s pretty much all you ever offer is insults and personal attacks. Failure would be a promotion for you.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:51 am I don’t give a fuck one way or the other who you choose to vote for.
Wow, sociopathic AND with a crass, filthy mouth.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:15 pm I don’t think I said you were wrong. In fact, I said that I was in agreement on Roe. I simply stated that the other side has an argument as well. I just don’t dismiss it because I don’t hold the same view.
So you support a corrupt Trump-led party that you don't agree with. How conveeeeenient. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So much for your deep-seated and passionate beliefs in freedom.

so you've talked about abortion. About about contraception? The attacks from the party you vote for on gays and trans people?

Does the other side have an argument on that? Or just hate and bigotry?
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:30 pm You are the one doing all the personal attacks. That’s pretty much all you ever offer is insults and personal attacks. Failure would be a promotion for you.
Your post is a personal attack. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You don't have enough self-awareness to even realize that, do you?

Hypocrisy.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:50 pm So you support a corrupt Trump-led party that you don't agree with. How conveeeeenient. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So much for your deep-seated and passionate beliefs in freedom.

so you've talked about abortion. About about contraception? The attacks from the party you vote for on gays and trans people?

Does the other side have an argument on that? Or just hate and bigotry?
I don’t see much support for limiting contraception. Obviously if I don’t have an issue with Roe, it’s logical that I don’t have an issue with contraception.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:51 pm Your post is a personal attack. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You don't have enough self-awareness to even realize that, do you?

Hypocrisy.
You start these things. You cast the first stone. So if someone gives it back to you, you really are in no position to complain. I merely point pout that is pretty much all you have is personal attacks. You lead with it pretty much every time.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:11 pm You start these things. You cast the first stone. So if someone gives it back to you, you really are in no position to complain. I merely point pout that is pretty much all you have is personal attacks. You lead with it pretty much every time.
What bullshit. You made the accusation that we only vote AGAINST - even though that's all YOU do - so I took one thing - personal freedom, which you try to tell us is one of the most important things to you, and ask for you to answer to that.

And you can't. I named several things on personal freedom, and the ONLY one you address is abortion and all you have is "well, there are differing opinions". So much for a full-throated defense of freedom. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And if you're going to throw personal attacks, don't bitch about others doing the same. And of course, here we are yet again - you blaming me for YOUR actions. "It's YOUR fault I'm doing it!" What bullshit.

So you said yourself you like to debate policy. Well, why are you running away? That's pretty much all you do.

Bar must be pretty quiet tonight! :lol: :lol: :lol:
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:16 pm What bullshit. You made the accusation that we only vote AGAINST - even though that's all YOU do - so I took one thing - personal freedom, which you try to tell us is one of the most important things to you, and ask for you to answer to that.

And you can't. I named several things on personal freedom, and the ONLY one you address is abortion and all you have is "well, there are differing opinions". So much for a full-throated defense of freedom. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And if you're going to throw personal attacks, don't bitch about others doing the same. And of course, here we are yet again - you blaming me for YOUR actions. "It's YOUR fault I'm doing it!" What bullshit.

So you said yourself you like to debate policy. Well, why are you running away? That's pretty much all you do.

Bar must be pretty quiet tonight! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Go back and read what I posted.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:48 pm Go back and read what I posted.
Again, you run away. You may not see much support for limiting contraception, but it's sure as hell there. One of the big GOP talking points is how Griswold was decided.

But then you brag about being ignorant of all that, don't you?

There's a LOT of support on the right attacking gays and trans people. You guys hated it that the Supreme Court made gay marriage Constitutional, and three of the four votes against that on the SC are still there - and there's three new judges that I doubt would have a problem joining them.

But then you'll say "oh no one could have dreamed they'd do that!"

What bullshit.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Today in Braindead Binaries..
JoeMemphis wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:15 pm I simply stated that the other side has an argument as well. I just don’t dismiss it because I don’t hold the same view.
You guys really have to come up with better arguments that aren’t based on your freakouts about conformity and “disagreement.”

Nobody GAD about whether or not you agree with us.

Oh and please please PLEASE do not ever vote for Dems. We need white supremacists in this party again like we need a hole in the head.
Last edited by carmenjonze on Fri May 20, 2022 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

Joe says he's for freedom and keeping the government out of our lives, but he sure doesn't say anything when the GOP goes the other way. Now the Texas Attorney General is resuming investigating families with trans children.

What say you to that, Joe? Would you be voting for that Republican? Or would you say "oh, there may be things I disagree with, but that don't mean I won't vote for them".

Right, Joe?
Drak

Post by Drak »

There is no equivalence to say, putting in temporary mandates during a deadly pandemic, to taking women’s rights over their own bodies away, punishing abortion as murder, banning contraception, banning books, banning science, banning trans and gays, telling businesses how they’re allowed to operate, punishing businesses who don’t kiss your ass, etc. A person that looks the other way isn’t for personal freedom, period.

This isn’t a both sides thing and it’s beyond hypocrisy.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:06 pm Joe says he's for freedom and keeping the government out of our lives, but he sure doesn't say anything when the GOP goes the other way. Now the Texas Attorney General is resuming investigating families with trans children.

What say you to that, Joe? Would you be voting for that Republican? Or would you say "oh, there may be things I disagree with, but that don't mean I won't vote for them".

Right, Joe?
Marsha Blackburn backs all of these policies, which is why JoeMemphis put her in office.

Lol when a conservative white man starts waxing poetic about “live and let live” while living in one of the most authoritarian-lead, repressive states in the nation, protect yourself.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:56 pm Again, you run away. You may not see much support for limiting contraception, but it's sure as hell there. One of the big GOP talking points is how Griswold was decided.

But then you brag about being ignorant of all that, don't you?

There's a LOT of support on the right attacking gays and trans people. You guys hated it that the Supreme Court made gay marriage Constitutional, and three of the four votes against that on the SC are still there - and there's three new judges that I doubt would have a problem joining them.

But then you'll say "oh no one could have dreamed they'd do that!"

What bullshit.
I still don’t see much support for limiting contraception and as I clearly stated before, that is not something I support. As far as gay marriage, I supported it early on. Ask JDogg. It’s an equal protection matter as far as I’m concerned.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:53 pm I still don’t see much support for limiting contraception and as I clearly stated before, that is not something I support. As far as gay marriage, I supported it early on. Ask JDogg. It’s an equal protection matter as far as I’m concerned.
Literally authoritarians like you are the reason Griswold and Roe were needed, and why segregation lasted so long. “Equal protection…” who do you think women, queers and racial/ethnic minorities need to protect ourselves from?

It’s self-centered dullard men like you that consistently vote for the dumbest and most extreme people in politics, then turn around and lie to yourselves that you’re “supporters”. We need the support of Marsha Blackburn confederates like fish need bicycles.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

This is the numbskull JoeMemphis keeps sending back to Congress, election after election. :problem:

Then he runs over here to this board to pretend he’s not as extremist and they are.

The Tennessee Holler
@TheTNHoller

WATCH: Marsha Vs. Birth Control

@MarshaBlackburn calls the Griswold vs. Connecticut “Constitutionally Unsound” - which guaranteed the right to make private decisions about birth control without government interference.

[VIDEO]

https://twitter.com/thetnholler/status/ ... MHwghj74gw

~ Ida B. Wells