RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:38 pm 
Policy Wonk

The supposed blindness is willful, and deliberate.

Did you see it yet, MC?? I just got home from seeinh it.

I'd love to know what you think of it I didn't read much about it because I knew I'd be seeing it, so I did not know it was going to focus on what it focused on. I thought it was pretty good or at the very least, quitte timely.

The thing that the cons really detest the most about BLM is not the stopped traffic or even the protests themselves, it's the critiques that reference things like the Kerner Commission report.

50 years later, the same issues persist at every turn. The reasons why are more deliberate and entrenched as ever.

Ok I seen it its a story thats not to be celebrated, one that hurts but also one that needs to be heard
www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Most Powerful line in the movie I think,
Quote:
"it's ok I'm here to help you"

the interrogation scene, treatment of African Americans is heartbreaking as it is gruelling. timely yes and still common these are the things that wreck neighborhoods and rob them of life's promise and society of its brotherhood.

love the soundtrack

the roots wrote a pretty amazing song for it that could fit right into 1967
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uXV62u9odY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYDvSFWvPmg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlkFWqvDPtU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:23 pm 
Policy Wonk

ICYMI: Expert on Detroit's 'illegal foreclosures' featured on 'Democracy Now'

Quote:
If we've been talking about Bernadette Atuahene a lot recently, it's because the researcher has uncovered a pattern of inflated assessments and just-out-of-reach exemptions now resulting in tax foreclosures that are arguably illegal under Michigan's constitution.

More troubling still, Atuahene's research found that the inflated assessments hit the poorest homeowners hardest.

How does over assessment work? This handy video, put out by activists working to end unconstitutional tax foreclosures, tells it pretty succinctly........

Don’t Let Detroit’s Revival Rest on an Injustice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:18 am 
Policy Wonk

carmenjonze » wrote:
........50 years later, the same issues persist at every turn. The reasons why are more deliberate and entrenched as ever.

Detroiter says suburban cops terrorized her during raid

Quote:
A Detroit woman said she and her family were terrorized by suburban police officers during an Aug. 12 raid, but law enforcement officials insist they acted properly while hunting a dangerous criminal.

Mary Smith said officers from Hazel Park and Madison Heights showed up on her block of Curtis driving “tanks.” She said the officers entered her west-side house, cursed at her, used a racial slur, then handcuffed her and other relatives on the front lawn.

“I ran out the door with my hands up,” said Smith, 56. “They threw me on the ground and pig-tied me. My mind went blank. I said ‘I have a 3-year-old grandson in the bed; I don’t want him waking up and you shooting him.’ They said ‘(expletive) that (expletive).’”

Smith said Detroit mayoral candidate Coleman Young II showed up and talked the officers into removing her handcuffs, a claim echoed by Young’s campaign manager.........

West Bloomfield Police raid Detroit home

Quote:
..........Detectives from West Bloomfield and a special response team made up of officers from West Bloomfield and Novi executed the search warrant, accompanied by Michigan State Police.

The case remains under investigation and charges are pending, Lawson said.......

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:56 pm 
Policy Wonk

Coleman Young II decries suburban police raid in Detroit

Quote:
........"This is white supremacy and it has to stop," Young said, adding that he arrived at the scene after he was alerted by someone in the neighborhood. " ... What would have happened if someone had not reached out to me? Someone from the Detroit Police Department should have been there. ... For us to be in the City of Detroit right now ... especially after the 1967 riots, which started because of police brutality, this is something quite frankly that's very dangerous and I think we're playing with dynamite right now. ... This is outrageous and it's disturbing. They need to take that nonsense back across 8 Mile." .......

Quote:
.......Young said suburban police should be accompanied at all times by Detroit police for any raid-type activities.

"What we had here was a travesty of justice and peace," he said "You had police officers from Madison Heights and Hazel Park who came all the way out of their jurisdiction and came here with military equipment, tanks. ... They came here with no respect, no regard. ... The mayor is the conservator of the peace ... If anyone comes into our city and engages in that type of action, someone from the department, someone who is connected to the people needs to be there.".......

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:53 pm 
Political Junkie

Quote:
.......Young said suburban police should be accompanied at all times by Detroit police for any raid-type activities.

"What we had here was a travesty of justice and peace," he said "You had police officers from Madison Heights and Hazel Park who came all the way out of their jurisdiction and came here with military equipment, tanks. ... They came here with no respect, no regard. ... The mayor is the conservator of the peace ... If anyone comes into our city and engages in that type of action, someone from the department, someone who is connected to the people needs to be there.".......

I don't know anything about Coleman II (remember well when Coleman I was mayor), but he's certainly correct on this point. Frankly, I'm surprised it is even legal....or at least State Police need to be involved.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ok I seen it its a story thats not to be celebrated, one that hurts but also one that needs to be heard

Most Powerful line in the movie I think,

the interrogation scene, treatment of African Americans is heartbreaking as it is gruelling. timely yes and still common these are the things that wreck neighborhoods and rob them of life's promise and society of its brotherhood.

It got panned by a lot of people for the so-called white gaze bit.

I didn't feel that way, and when I read those kinds of reviews it makes me wonder if we saw the same movie.

I did see Get Out as well, which is a comedy-horror. The connection being made is in the of elements of horror and suspense films to tell the story of the police brutality in this case.

I also watched it in part because I wanted to see what how "Motown" was positioned in the film. It was pretty interesting in that way.

There were some key ties to the contemporary situation of police brutality, especially
leaving the body of the man killed to bleed out, which recalls Michael Brown of Ferguson.

I did learn a lot from it, so I appreciated that.

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:36 pm 
Policy Wonk

It got panned by a lot of people for the so-called white gaze bit.

I didn't feel that way, and when I read those kinds of reviews it makes me wonder if we saw the same movie.

I did see Get Out as well, which is a comedy-horror. The connection being made is in the of elements of horror and suspense films to tell the story of the police brutality in this case.

I also watched it in part because I wanted to see what how "Motown" was positioned in the film. It was pretty interesting in that way.

There were some key ties to the contemporary situation of police brutality, especially
leaving the body of the man killed to bleed out, which recalls Michael Brown of Ferguson.

I did learn a lot from it, so I appreciated that.

yea and the guy getting shot in the back as well, the little girl in the window also that took about 2 seconds. The raids seem to have gotten even worse with war on drugs in the 80s and 90s then the reality tv raids in the oughts we see the irrational rationalized and backed with political and state power and media and corporate sponsorship. The tanks and millitary equipment also in regards to ferguson.

the Motown aspect was interesting, bittersweet and enlightening.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:17 pm 
Policy Wonk

DPD to reopen cases handled by cops whose lies sent man to prison for 25 years

Quote:
Detroit Police Chief James Craig said Friday that he plans to reopen every case worked by two officers whose false testimony sent an innocent man to prison for 25 years.

“It is no surprise that there are things from the past are being resurrected,” he said in an interview, citing past problems that led to the Detroit department having to operate under a federal consent decree for years.

“We’re not taking them lightly. I don’t know how vast this thing would get, but we are committed to finding the truth,” he said. “If that means uncovering criminal acts on the part of current or past investigations, we would do that.”

Desmond Ricks, 51, has filed suit against the department and two officers who claimed that bullets that killed a man in 1992 came from a gun recovered from his mother's house.

When asked whether he would specifically open up cases handled by Officers David Pauch and Donald Stawiasz, the pair who fabricated the bullet evidence to get him Ricks falsely convicted of second-degree murder and illegal use of a firearm and sentenced to 30 to 60 years in prison, Craig said:

“The answer is yes.”

Kary Moss, executive director of the ACLU of Michigan, was surprised by the chief's decision Friday and called it "quite rare and an exercise in leadership."

"I cannot think of another instance where that decision has been made and what an important decision to earn good will and trust in the community," she said..........

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

Good.

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:01 am 
Policy Wonk

Death of Tasered teen who crashed ATV ruled accident

Quote:
......According to state police, the trooper was said to be trying to stop Damon for recklessly driving the four-wheeled, all-terrain vehicle at about 5:30 p.m. State Police 1st Lt. Mike Shaw said it appears the trooper used the Taser on the boy from a patrol vehicle with the window rolled down.

Shaw said it is a violation of policy for an officer to deploy a Taser from a moving vehicle. ......

$50 million lawsuit filed against state trooper involved in teen's deadly ATV crash in Detroit

Quote:
........Fieger, who spoke during a news conference Wednesday afternoon, compared the trooper to a cowboy.

“I cannot conceive, under any set of circumstances, a justification for a police officer doing a drive-by shooting of a child on an ATV,” Fieger said.

Fieger said the trooper has a history of using excessive force.

“This situation is not an isolated incident,” Fieger said........

Vigil for teen killed in crash after chase with MSP erupts in anger

Quote:
.......The family held a vigil with hundreds of people on Wednesday night. They said a prayer and released balloons.......

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:19 am 
Policy Wonk

I don't know anything about Coleman II (remember well when Coleman I was mayor), but he's certainly correct on this point. Frankly, I'm surprised it is even legal....or at least State Police need to be involved.

heres his new campaign video

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:41 pm 
Political Junkie

I enjoyed the song, but the video did nothing to convince me that he was qualified or had any plans for the City. But I suppose that's a problem with a lot of campaign videos.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:49 pm 
Policy Wonk

A very good article

Henderson: Kid Rock opener at Little Caesars Arena is middle finger to Detroiters

Quote:
When the Ilitch family's Olympia Entertainment division chose divisive performer Kid Rock to christen Little Caesars Arena with six shows and a new restaurant, it sent a message to the Detroiters who made the project possible and who have yet to see the benefits promised. It's a message that's not too far off those Jim Crow-era signs warning that blacks weren't welcome.

Negro, go home.

That's what it feels like, at least. And for weeks, I've been struggling to come up with an alternative, less wounding interpretation. But how can I?......

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:15 pm 
Policy Wonk

Motor City wrote:

where it started

Sam Riddle calls out 'hypocritical' Detroit Red Wings for hosting Kid Rock

Quote:
Detroit political consultant Sam Riddle called out the Detroit Red Wings for their attempt to distance themselves from a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Va., this past weekend.

"So the Red Wings will open their new arena in Detroit next month with Kid Rock, a known lover of the Confederate Flag, a hate symbol; now the Wings wonder why and object to white supremacists using the Wings logo?" Riddle, the political director of the Michigan National Network (NAN) questioned.

Kid Rock in fact distanced himself from the controversial flag several years ago, as the Free Press reported in 2015. Having displayed the Confederate imagery at shows in the early 2000s — defending it at the time as a symbol of Southern rock — he chose to stop using it onstage after receiving an NAACP award in 2011.

Rock has not displayed the flag in his shows since. In his recently music video "Po-Dunk," a woman is briefly seen wearing a shirt with the Confederate stars-and-bars, during a scene set in a trailer park.......

now that Cvill furor has died down and all the proper distancing has taken place its back to business as usual. racial concerns get a stern 3 versus 1 in this interview
https://www.clickondetroit.com/flashpoint/kid-rock-concert-controversy-2017-detroit-homecoming-preview-

kid rock has been quite generous to Detroit charities
Kid Rock's Facebook post to haters: 'P.P.P.P.P.S. I LOVE BLACK PEOPLE!!'

Quote:
........I am the bonified KING OF DETROIT LOVE and it makes me smile down deep that you haters know that! Your jealousy is merely a reflection of disgust for your own failures and lack of positive ideas for our city.

I am however very disappointed that none of the people, businesses or charities I have so diligently supported in Detroit have had anything to say about all these unfounded attacks from these handful of jackasses and The Detroit Free Press. So for the unforeseen future I will focus my philanthropy efforts on other organizations besides the ones I have supported in the past.......

oops looks like that is conditional

also The City of Detroit has been generous to Kid Rock
Kid Rock-themed restaurant to open at Little Caesars Arena

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:00 pm 
Policy Wonk

Detroiters are welcome to finance the Arena but not to benefit from the economic growth in laboring to build it, or any of the income from its operations in the form of tax revenue. then announces the opening will be artist who disparages Colin Kapernick at his concerts

Quote:
......Some of the activists preparing to march to LCA to protest the first in a string of Kid Rock shows say they plan to kneel during the National Anthem.

"We want to acknowledge Colin Kapernick and him potentially losing everything to support what we're doing," said Tyrone Allen, 69, and a lifelong Detroiter, who called the choice of Kid Rock to open the arena an affront to Detroiters.......

http://www.freep.com/story/news/2017/09/12/protesters-kid-rock-little-caesars-arena/659135001/

Quote:
......Mayor Mike Duggan weighed in last week on Kid Rock opening the new arena saying, "He's an entertainer. My feeling is if you don't like Kid Rock's politics or music — don't go to the concert."......

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2017/09/12/kid-rock-detroit-free-press-credentials-lca-concert/657462001/

so basicly give us the money to build it but stay away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeiHIwn4Fzg