RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

The answer to a question that no one has asked yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:45 am 
Board Emeritus

The opening post contains an insufficient amount of data to be fathomed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:59 am 
Board Emeritus

I will therefore ask the question myself.

Why did George Luca$ select the shabby Exposition Park section of LA for his bazillion dollar, uber-pretentiously named Museum of Narrative Arts, when so many other places wanted it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:17 am 
Board Emeritus

I go to the dictionary, that is where I usually start.

Exposition; a large public exhibition of art or trade goods.
synonyms: exhibition, fair, trade fair, trade show, show, expo, display, presentation, demonstration, exhibit

Sounds like the place for it.

My place (Mariposa county) would have wanted it, but they probably were not aware of it. As was I.

I'm sure we'd be happy to flatten off a spot for it. We already keep all of the natural occurring flat spots in our museum, so none of them are available.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

Some people really wanted it. It supposedly creates "thousands of jobs." I don't see how another self-conscious endowed museum can do this. It can employ construction workers, until they go on to the next project, then it has a staff of what, maybe a hundred or so? It doesn't bring new business to the area, which already has some important museums, a football stadium, and of course the whole $C campus. It brings more of the same business.

Exposition Park itself was created for a state fair, or something like that, hence the name. It's mostly known for the Olympics, twice. The neighborhood is of color, mostly Latin@s and African-Americans, and economically disadvantaged. This is despite the best endowed university in the western US being right in the middle. Or possibly, because of it, since U$C owns all the land north of the state park I mentioned.

I still think Luca$ has some kind of Old Alma Mater bubble going. He gave a bundle to get the Cinema school's palatial new quarters built. Otherwise, after he made Star Wars and became a 1-man industry in himself, he couldn't get out of L.A. fast enough. And I guarantee Lucasfilm DID bring "thousands of jobs" to the Bay Area.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

I should add that Exposition Park is about the only public green space left for miles around, and quite a few people were hoping the site in question would go for that.