All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: White Boy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:47 pm 
Policy Wonk

'White Boy' director talks about unspooling Richard Wershe Jr.'s story

Quote:
Shawn Rech has turned his lens on flaws in the criminal justice system before. He co-directed “A Murder in the Park,” a documentary that cast doubt on the confession of a man in a 1982 double murder. The film debuted at the 2014 Doc NYC festival, and a few weeks later the man, who'd been locked up for nearly 15 years, saw his conviction thrown out and was freed.

Now Rech is tackling another convoluted story of true crime and questionable justice in “White Boy,” which will have its world premiere Friday at the Freep Film Festival.........

Quote:
......The fact that he was 14 and the fact that he was white all became a novelty, became something that pushed the story. When you look at it as a human being, he’s a 14-year-old who was just trying to please the adults in his life. If it weren’t for law enforcement professionals pushing a child to learn a business, would he ever (have) seen a drug or touched a drug? And they did this to accomplish their own gains. The fact that he was used at that age is really, really an awful thing and, yes, I think people completely lose sight of it......

hollywood movie is also coming being filmed now

Post subject: Re: White Boy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:12 pm 
Policy Wonk

Parole decision expected Friday in 'White Boy Rick' case

Quote:
..............He made his case for freedom during a public hearing in Jackson last month. Wershe promised he’d never commit another crime and asked for forgiveness.

"I know that the drugs I sold destroyed people's lives," he said during the hearing at the G. Robert Cotton Correctional Facility. "I can't take it back."

Wershe answered questions about his involvement in drugs, his work as an informant for Detroit police and the FBI, which he said started when he was 14, and his role in a stolen-car scheme while in a Florida prison. ..........

Post subject: Re: White Boy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:41 pm 
Policy Wonk

'White Boy Rick' Wershe granted parole but could be in prison for years

Quote:
........The 10-member Michigan Parole Board voted unanimously to release Richard Wershe Jr. during a closed-door meeting today, but the 47-year-old prisoner may not gain his freedom for years, officials said.

“We’re overjoyed," his sister Dawn Wershe said of her family's reaction to the decision. "And it’s long overdue is the way we feel.”

Richard Wershe, who has been serving life with the possibility of parole for possession with intent to deliver more than 650 grams of cocaine, will remain in the custody of the Michigan Department of Corrections until at least mid-August, officials said. Then he has time to serve in Florida for a separate case there involving a stolen-car scheme.

"At least he’ll have a light at the end of the tunnel," Wershe's longtime attorney Ralph Musilli told the Free Press today. "He’ll know exactly how long he has to serve and that will be the end of it.”.......