RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Which Team Would You Join If You Were A Mutant in the MCU?
Professor X 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
Magneto 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I would be like Wolverine and be like a Samurai with no master 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

He and Storm have a largely symbolic argument over choosing sides in the first film (it's clear he already has), but by X2, he makes pretty clear to Stryker that he stands with Xavier and the X-Men.

Probably sort of apparent that I see myself as being Wolverine-like.

Figure Ike Bana would fit into a similar category.

You, of course, are pretty much a total shoe-in for playing the role of that fucking prick of a Professor.

Word of warning: don't leave any motorcycles unattended around me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

Superman kicks all their asses.

I really hope he's in the Justice League film. I also hope they're not pulling an Episode 7, and hiding that like Luke Skywalker, he will only show up at the end of the film.

Yeah, he "died" at the end of BvS, but ... well, we all saw what's going on in the final scene.

Buzz is he will first appear under control of the bad guys wearing his black suit, then revert back to his old self and join the League at the end of the film.

They're obviously keeping his absence from the trailers a well kept, and probably planned, secret.

If you remember, in BvS, Batman has some kind of "future vision/dream" where he sees a future where Superman is leading some kind of force of stormtroopers...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Word of warning: don't leave any motorcycles unattended around me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hmmm. Looks like a new still the Justice League producers released shows Superman's alive ...and joining the team.

Maybe not at the beginning. ;)

This one was released three months ago, guess I missed it.

Like I said, the DC movies have sucked, and some folks who've seen the first official trailer ... are still pessimistic they're not going to end their streak.

The Jason Momoa Aquaman is badass, that's for sure.

They're already pre-emptively worried about how Wonder Woman will do at the box office.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

I really hope he's in the Justice League film. I also hope they're not pulling an Episode 7, and hiding that like Luke Skywalker, he will only show up at the end of the film.

Yeah, he "died" at the end of BvS, but ... well, we all saw what's going on in the final scene.

Buzz is he will first appear under control of the bad guys wearing his black suit, then revert back to his old self and join the League at the end of the film.

They're obviously keeping his absence from the trailers a well kept, and probably planned, secret.

If you remember, in BvS, Batman has some kind of "future vision/dream" where he sees a future where Superman is leading some kind of force of stormtroopers...

I get a kick out of you, this thing we have in common is one reason why I like you. A sense of whimsy and childlike appreciation for this stuff.

Star Wars fan, right? I bought Rogue One, big Alan Tudyk fan. You have seen the new trailer I assume, i put it up here somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

I get a kick out of you, this thing we have in common is one reason why I like you. A sense of whimsy and childlike appreciation for this stuff.

Comic books are not just for kids. When written for adults, they get called graphic novels. :mrgreen:

One I constantly recommend is Watchmen, written by Alan Moore. He also did V for Vendetta and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

There's a lot of mature themes going on in there. Including one that suggests some people may want to put on tights and fight crime because they're warped in the head and sociopathic. (This is probably true of Rohrshach, the Comedian, and Hooded Justice.)

There are many cases where I would say don't see the film; except, BTW, the film is an excellent, in some cases, frame for frame, translation of the graphic novel.

Quote:
Star Wars fan, right? I bought Rogue One, big Alan Tudyk fan. You have seen the new trailer I assume, i put it up here somewhere

Yeah, but I don't do extreme exclusive fandom. I like both DC and Marvel comic characters, and I like both Trek and Wars films and media.

Rogue One is a nice story. My one regret - spoiler warning? - we won't be seeing Jyn Erso again (well, except in prequels which I hear they may use her as an animated character).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

Extreme exclusive fandom? Oh you mean love SW and hate ST or reverse, yeah I like both.

Daughter in law has Vegas Star Trek convention tickets where both Shatner and Patrick Stewart will be. Apparently Stewart rarely does these. So cant wait to hear back, I think it is November.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

When I was at UF back in the 90s, Shatner came as an invited speaker.

There's a local Trek fan club in town in Gainesville, several folks came for his appearance dressed as Klingons, Vulcans, or Starfleet officers.

I did not see anybody dressed like that for Takei last year. :mrgreen:

I have never been to a Trek convention. :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

There's some deep meaning in all of this...right?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

No, not really.

Well, once in a while there's some kernels of truth and wisdom...but mostly it's just a grand waste of time.

It probably helps to have a bit of a Peter Pan complex when making a journey into places like this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

Is there a deep meaning to the sports discussions here?

Is there a deep meaning when we discuss other films and TV shows?

This is a "sports and entertainment" discussion. Do all of them have a "deep meaning"?

There's some philosophical themes going on in the X-Men series ... but, yeah, it's not exactly Mindwalk, either.

A lot of reviewers have said they definitely think "Logan" is not pitched at children. In fact, it has a meta moment where Logan kind of pooh-poohs the way things are portrayed in comics, that his life is actually grittier and more serious.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:38 am 
Board Emeritus

No, not really.

Well, once in a while there's some kernels of truth and wisdom...but mostly it's just a grand waste of time.

It probably helps to have a bit of a Peter Pan complex when making a journey into places like this.

Thank god. I thought it might be like The Hobbit, or Lord of The Rings...something that requires attention and study, neither of which being a particular skill I possess.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:11 am 
Board Emeritus

According to his fictional biography, Wolverine was born James Howlett, in Alberta, Canada, somewhere around 1889.

That would mean by 2029, he is around 140 years old. Looks like he outdid the oldest known living human, who died at 122. ;)

Jean Grey mentions this in X-Men 1, "he could be older than you Professor" (and he is).

Supposedly, his regenerative healing factor makes him age slower - but not immortal.

As I understand it, he is becoming weaker by the time of the Logan film both due to aging reducing his healing factor and adamantium on his bones leaching off and poisoning him.

Also because of aging, Xavier is having seizures which cause psychic damage to the people around him.

Magneto and Xavier cooperate in X2 against a common enemy (Stryker) and BTW by the alternate future of DoFP, they are again working together against the Sentinels.

You also see, in flashback, in X3, that at one point they were working together in the past, and jointly recruited Jean Grey as a young child.

Thanks for this.

In the origin film, he and his brother looked younger during the Civil War but seemed to age just a few years in WWI.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:11 am 
Board Emeritus

:rw)

Wolverine's motorcycle

Wolverine not included (the Shine On version)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:16 am 
Board Emeritus

One can find deep meaning in almost anything.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:56 am 
Board Emeritus

Okay Professor, help me out here.

How did Magneto survive a bullet to the neck at the end of Days of Future Past? I know he can move and manipulate metal, but healing powers? That I don't get.

And if the time line was changed, how did Charles say "Welcome back" to Logan if the alternate reality was wiped out? We see no evidence that Charles read his mind to know what happened.

And it was a ridiculous prop that Trask's mutant detector resembled a baby monitor.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:35 am 
Board Emeritus

Okay Professor, help me out here.

How did Magneto survive a bullet to the neck at the end of Days of Future Past? I know he can move and manipulate metal, but healing powers? That I don't get.

Gonna just sit back and wait for the Professor to offer his ideas on this one.

Meanwhile, since Ike Bana is wondering how deep this shit goes:

The Philosophy of Deadpool – Wisecrack Edition

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:58 am 
Board Emeritus

Obviously, Mystique missed an artery, so he survived. The plastic bullet went through his neck but didn't open a major artery.

He quips to her about not being as good a shot as when she used to be with him; she kicks him unconscious and says she deliberately missed hitting him between the eyes.

She didn't want to kill him.

Quote:
And if the time line was changed, how did Charles say "Welcome back" to Logan if the alternate reality was wiped out? We see no evidence that Charles read his mind to know what happened.

Well, it's the only explanation that makes sense. After all, Xavier also should not be able to remember the alternate timeline. Yet, somehow, because Logan helped create the new timeline by going into the past, he still remembers it. Xavier could have seen this from his telepathy.

BTW, there's a deeper mystery. Why is Xavier already alive in the future of DoFP? He died in X-Men Last Stand -- hell, Jean atomized his body to smithereens. No coming back from that.

Yes, we have the after credits scene where he translated himself into a new body. But then he should be in that other body. :D

Clearly, some mutant with permanent body appearance alteration powers fixed that problem for him at some point.

Quote:
And it was a ridiculous prop that Trask's mutant detector resembled a baby monitor.

Well, look ... 70s technology. :D Pretty impressive to build the Sentinels, when the Altair hadn't even been invented yet. :mrgreen:

Oh, and one more thing -- they are talking about a Deadpool sequel. And Ryan Reynolds wants Jackman to come back as Wolverine for it. Jackman hasn't decided.

The Ryan Reynolds Deadpool of Wolverine: Origins also apparently has been wiped out of the timeline, too. :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:14 am 
Board Emeritus

Obviously, Mystique missed an artery, so he survived. The plastic bullet went through his neck but didn't open a major artery.

He quips to her about not being as good a shot as when she used to be with him; she kicks him unconscious and says she deliberately missed hitting him between the eyes.

Well, it's the only explanation that makes sense. After all, Xavier also should not be able to remember the alternate timeline. Yet, somehow, because Logan helped create the new timeline by going into the past, he still remembers it. Xavier could have seen this from his telepathy.

BTW, there's a deeper mystery. Why is Xavier already alive in the future of DoFP? He died in X-Men Last Stand -- hell, Jean atomized his body to smithereens. No coming back from that.

Yes, we have the after credits scene where he translated himself into a new body. But then he should be in that other body. :D

Clearly, some mutant with permanent body appearance alteration powers fixed that problem for him at some point.

Well, look ... 70s technology. :D Pretty impressive to build the Sentinels, when the Altair hadn't even been invented yet. :mrgreen:

Oh, and one more thing -- they are talking about a Deadpool sequel. And Ryan Reynolds wants Jackman to come back as Wolverine for it. Jackman hasn't decided.

The Ryan Reynolds Deadpool of Wolverine: Origins also apparently has been wiped out of the timeline, too. :D

So, the alternate timeline begins in 1973. So I'm thinking the events that lead up to Charles being obliterated are altered and didn't happen. So the new time line begins where the other one didn't happen, leading to when I pull my hair out trying to make sense of it all.

And refresh my memory, was is the Altair again?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:17 am 
Board Emeritus

And refresh my memory, was is the Altair again?

The first microcomputer, released in 1975.

The chip in your smartphone could run rings around its CPU - thousands of times. :D

DoFP is set right around the Paris peace talks for the Vietnam War -- 1973.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:22 am 
Board Emeritus

The first microcomputer, released in 1975.

The chip in your smartphone could run rings around its CPU - thousands of times. :D

DoFP is set right around the Paris peace talks for the Vietnam War -- 1973.

Thanks. Maybe Trask invented in before 1975 and the alternate reality, which is now, has it at 1975. :rw)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:53 am 
Board Emeritus

Here's a book that has some relevant information on this issue:

Theoretical Atomic Physics
By Harald Friedrich

To be fair, such things were probably even less understood when Magneto was created by Marvel Comics.

Magneto is seen ripping the Golden Gate bridge from its foundations and re-configuring it to suit his aims.

At a minimum, that puts his magnetic strength in the range of 400,000 Tesla (going conservative at 1 Tesla/1000 kg lifted), somewhat beyond the threshold where diamagnetic effects become quite pronounced; all matter is diamagnetic, including plastic bullets.

Scientists tend to feel that it will not be possible to create such ultrastrong magnetic fields here on Earth. The most common place we find them is in the remnants of collapsed stars.

An interesting feature of such ultrastrong magnetic fields is the way in which we (atomic and chemical physicists) anticipate that the spectra of atoms and molecules will be considerably altered from what we see here on Earth.

Coupled-cluster theory for atoms and molecules in strong magnetic fields
(In particular, note figures 8 and 9 in which the molecular states swap places and equilibrium bond lengths have changed; all of this means that high-resolution spectra of such species, should it be possible to obtain them, would look considerably different from what's seen on Earth.)

One of the big unknowns: how would chemistry change under such conditions of ultrastrong magnetic fields? Many molecules might disintegrate and other isolated molecules (e.g. bio-molecules) might coagulate into polymers, and so on; the possibilities are nearly endless.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:14 am 
Board Emeritus

Here's a book that has some relevant information on this issue:

Theoretical Atomic Physics
By Harald Friedrich

To be fair, such things were probably even less understood when Magneto was created by Marvel Comics.

Magneto is seen ripping the Golden Gate bridge from its foundations and re-configuring it to suit his aims.

At a minimum, that puts his magnetic strength in the range of 400,000 Tesla (going conservative at 1 Tesla/1000 kg lifted), somewhat beyond the threshold where diamagnetic effects become quite pronounced; all matter is diamagnetic, including plastic bullets.

Scientists tend to feel that it will not be possible to create such ultrastrong magnetic fields here on Earth. The most common place we find them is in the remnants of collapsed stars.

An interesting feature of such ultrastrong magnetic fields is the way in which we (atomic and chemical physicists) anticipate that the spectra of atoms and molecules will be considerably altered from what we see here on Earth.

Coupled-cluster theory for atoms and molecules in strong magnetic fields
(In particular, note figures 8 and 9 in which the molecular states swap places and equilibrium bond lengths have changed; all of this means that high-resolution spectra of such species, should it be possible to obtain them, would look considerably different from what's seen on Earth.)

One of the big unknowns: how would chemistry change under such conditions of ultrastrong magnetic fields? Many molecules might disintegrate and other isolated molecules (e.g. bio-molecules) might coagulate into polymers, and so on; the possibilities are nearly endless.

The magnetic particles in this article are blowing over my head. :rw)