Post subject: Re: Wonder Woman
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm dead.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oh and here come the library shushers

OPINION: Why Supporting 'Wonder Woman' Is Dangerous For My Black Feminism And Liberation - Essence

It's funny that this op-ed shows up in Essence, a Black publication for those who don't know, that at one point used to be Redbook for Black women (back when it first came out and my mother subscribed. Same ads; different color women - even as a child I recognized this.)

Anyway. I'm not going to put up a bunch of quotes from this article but suffice it to say I feel that if her feminism and liberation is so deeply threatened by a Hollywood movie based on a DC comic, she really ought to reconsider her feminism and liberation. :problem:

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm dead.

Ha, I know what you mean. Girl has got it goin' on.

cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oh and here come the library shushers

OPINION: Why Supporting 'Wonder Woman' Is Dangerous For My Black Feminism And Liberation - Essence

It's funny that this op-ed shows up in Essence, a Black publication for those who don't know, that at one point used to be Redbook for Black women (back when it first came out and my mother subscribed. Same ads; different color women - even as a child I recognized this.)

Anyway. I'm not going to put up a bunch of quotes from this article but suffice it to say I feel that if her feminism and liberation is so deeply threatened by a Hollywood movie based on a DC comic, she really ought to reconsider her feminism and liberation. :problem:

Thanks for mentioning this article.

When I came across it the other day and read it, one of my first thoughts - recurring thought, really - was how would CJ perceive this article.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ha, I know what you mean. Girl has got it goin' on.

One of the more rewarding parts of being a teacher in the K-12 world.

I come across quite a few young women who have it going on, and a big part of my job description is to help them realize more fully that such is the case.

Gee, ain't life grand? Well, yes, sometimes it is.

Really, though, I'm ready to go back to being a scientist and training other serious nerds to do the same. Well, maybe one more year in K-12, or maybe not, we'll see.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

Thanks for mentioning this article.

When I came across it the other day and read it, one of my first thoughts - recurring thought, really - was how would CJ perceive this article.

Feh, my first thought on it was, "first world problems". She sez

Quote:
My Black feminism is exclusive to Black people.

Sure it is. I bet. But other people's Black feminism starts there yet does not end there. So, that's her and this is us.

This line of reasoning of encouraging people to avoid movies they haven't seen, however noble they think the reason is, always recalls my own parents' boycott of The Last Temptation of Christ. That was based in the rightwing Evangeligal televangelist outrage/propaganda machine of the times. To me, today's bandwagonism against WW is the same, because the mechanism is the same. Nobody is forced to see Hollywood movies, so pick your reasons to not go and just don't go; that's fine and perfectly valid.

But I think it's dangerous for her for the same reasons LTOC was dangerous for 80s Evangelicals or even the censorship offices of the 30s-60s: actually seeing it might make you like Gal Gadot, who you've been told you're supposed to hate.

For good measure, we can throw in GLAAD's boycott of Basic Instict in the early 90s which for me was only a couple years out from listening to Evangelicals harangue Last Temptation of Christ, so I'll never forget it. It was like: friends. This is not 1915, this is not Birth of A Nation at the dawn of the film era. You are not the 7 years old NAACP, either. Give it a rest.

It's fair to critique any/every film including Hollywood blockbusters, everybody knows that. But there is one key common element that some of these detractors overlook, just as their Evangelical counterparts do: it really helps to have actually seen the movie prior to trying to criticize it. Some people still don't get this. :problem: :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

BTW, she has a point about a lack of Black female super heroines. There's been a few male ones - Black Lightning, Falcon (he's been in the Captain America movies), Luke Cage (now on Netflix), Black Panther, etc. (One Green Lantern was Black, although the original, Hal Jordan, was white.)

But yeah - there's a shortage of the heroines. Other than Storm in the X-Men. Nobody can think of any others.

Bring the lightning, Halle.

There's also Vixen, in the DC universe. Kind of a tricky name for the character given its connotations. But anyway, she's been on Legends of Tomorrow, and also ... *drool*.

(Oddly, she's actually from the 1940s DC team Justice Society of America (JSA) but joins the characters from the modern era, cuz time travel, she's the grandmother of the modern Vixen character.)

Interesting bit of show drama ... rather than dating the only other black guy on the team (Jax, the 1/2 of who becomes Firestorm), she winds up with the white guy Nate/Commander Steel ... however, it seems kind of fated as she was originally in love with Nate's grandfather, who was part of the JSA.

The Hawkgirl in the first season of the series was Black (she left the show after season one), although traditionally Hawkgirl in the DC comics has been white. (So was Hawkman.)

They kind of rewrote her origin story as the original DC character was an alien (Thanagarian) but they made her into some kind of reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian priestess.

Incidentally, I think it's absolutely right to ask for more representation of minorities, even in the comic books, but don't hate on Wonder Woman for being white. Or the actress being Israeli, which we know is the other issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

BTW, she has a point about a lack of Black female super heroines.

Thanks, but somehow my first instinct was to not give her any positive air time.

Otherwise, yes more Black female super heroines might be nice. Maybe, maybe not.

Storm came through nicely in the X-Men movies because she, like everyone else, had no color; they were all mutants, a state of being that transcends any other markers on our identity by way too much.

I don't care where I see anybody act or who plays the roles. I just want honest portrayals of great roles by the most talented actors.

Is that asking for too much?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah this is why I wish homegirl would have seen the movie. There is very obviously going to be a sequel. The hope is that Nubia will show up in it.

DC is probably going to have to create a CU place for Nubia whether they want to or not, since every Black person on Planet Earth is going to be seeing Black Panther. lol

Nubia is the twin sister of 'Wonder Woman' — and she is literally a black queen - Mic.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:26 am 
Board Emeritus

Okay, so we are talking Bruce Lee-like hand-to-hand combat scenes, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:09 am 
Board Emeritus

Thanks, but somehow my first instinct was to not give her any positive air time.

Dunno, I sometimes like to acknowledge that when I disagree with people completely on the whole, they might have one valid point. I don't view that as giving the rest of their argument "positive" air time.

Though I understand - given some stuff in there, yeah, the rest doesn't deserve "positive air time".

Quote:
Storm came through nicely in the X-Men movies because she, like everyone else, had no color; they were all mutants, a state of being that transcends any other markers on our identity by way too much.

Well, it's interesting. If you look at the original 1960s X-Men comics team ... Cyclops, Jean Grey, Iceman, Beast, Angel ... very white, all American. (BTW, Jean Grey was originally called "Marvel Girl". Not to be confused with "Ms. Marvel".)

The series gets a reboot in the 1970s and watch who the new team is ... Colossus, Russian; Nightcrawler, from Germany; Storm, from Kenya; Thunderbird (an Apache); Wolverine (Canadian); Banshee, from Ireland; Quicksilver, Romanian (though he's the son of Magneto).

You'll notice the movies features both sets of characters, because the comics will "refuse" the two teams in the 1980s. But anyway, the 70s team is multi-racial, multi-ethnic, and very multi-national.

Anyway, though, I get your point ... the Mutant theme touches on some other issues, and Storm really hits it out of the park in Last Stand (X3). Many people hate on that movie for killing so many characters, but they managed to fix all that with Days of Future Past. :D But her line is really great, as someone asks her if she will take the "cure" for Mutation that's been invented. "Cure me? There's nothing wrong with me." ... Born That Way.

She also manages to kind of take on the leadership role of the X-Men, now that Cyclops is dead, in that film. Which, in a way, is very natural for her character, especially as depicted in the films. She again convinces Logan it's time to "Stand" against Magneto ... and unfortunately, even Jean, who he loves, because she has been corrupted into the Dark Phoenix.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

Okay, so we are talking Bruce Lee-like hand-to-hand combat scenes, right?

Ah, such a beautiful man :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:38 am 
Board Emeritus

My recent Wonder Woman coloring

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:19 pm 
Policy Wonk

'Wonder Woman' sequel is a go

Quote:
Original has grossed $770 million worldwide

Wonder Woman will be back for another solo adventure.

Warner Bros. Pictures and DC Comics announced a sequel to the Gal Gadot-led superhero film during a panel at San Diego Comic-Con.

The studio also said it intends to do a standalone film starring Batgirl and a sequel to "Suicide Squad."

Gadot made an appearance at the news-packed panel, along with other members of the "Justice League" cast.

Ben Affleck (Batman), Ezra Miller (The Flash), Ray Fisher (Cyborg) and Jason Mamoa (Aquaman) were also on hand to reveal a new trailer for the film, which is due out November 17...............

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

can
not
wait

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:07 am 
Board Emeritus

Apostolic preacher Lou Engles believes that the film was "a prophetic sign that “God is doing something in the spirit realm." He also liked it that this woman wasn't filled with a lot of anger like a typical woman.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/lou- ... -abortion/

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:29 am 
Board Emeritus

Apostolic preacher Lou Engles believes that the film was "a prophetic sign that “God is doing something in the spirit realm." He also liked it that this woman wasn't filled with a lot of anger like a typical woman.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/lou- ... -abortion/

Feh, he just liked that Steve Mnuchin was exec producer. :problem:

Anybody remember this from this whackjob?

Michele Bachmann and Lou Engle Pray To Stop Healthcare Reform (2009)

:problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: :problem: :problem:

dumb bigots

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

I remember that. Engle is like a walking (and rocking) caricature of himself.