Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Wonder Woman
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

Here's a link to my review
https://plus.google.com/u/0/10458890818 ... TyYNRainvb

SPOILER

I thought the battle between Diana and Ares was a bit overblown but other than that, it was a good story even being an origin film which I'm not a particular fan of, but hey, it's WONDER WOMAN!

Post subject: Re: Wonder Woman
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

I normally don't care for superhero movies but I was bored Sunday and decided to catch the matinee at my local theater. The movie was, surprisingly, entertaining and fast paced with the storyline and most of the characters were well developed.

One problem that wasn't explained was with the Amazons battling the crew of the German ship. Armed sailors were were landing in row boats when the German ship started emerging from the fog surrounding the island. After the battle, the German ship is nowhere to be seen. The only weapons the Amazons had were spears and arrows and those wouldn't be enough to sink the ship so what happened to the ship and the rest of the crew on it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

I normally don't care for superhero movies but I was bored Sunday and decided to catch the matinee at my local theater. The movie was, surprisingly, entertaining and fast paced with the storyline and most of the characters were well developed.

One problem that wasn't explained was with the Amazons battling the crew of the German ship. Armed sailors were were landing in row boats when the German ship started emerging from the fog surrounding the island. After the battle, the German ship is nowhere to be seen. The only weapons the Amazons had were spears and arrows and those wouldn't be enough to sink the ship so what happened to the ship and the rest of the crew on it?

I didn't try to analyze or think about it too much. So I don't know. Poor editing, maybe?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hope to see it this weekend! Been crushing on pretty Gal Godot for the past year, so I'm looking forward to it!

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:36 pm 

saw it, thoroughly enjoyed it....going to definitely see it again....

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.
LYNDON B. JOHNSON, 1960

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

Just saw it last night, at an Alamo Drafthouse, which is now getting sued by some stupid conservative snowflake because they had a "women-only" screening. :problem:

Dude. It's a movie.

I say the same exact thing to people complaining that Gal Gadot isn't "really" a "woman of color", or that she was in the IDF, or folks like Rosa Clemente boycotting it because it's neoliberal white supremacy in the service of empire or wtfe. :problem:

I love that cute perplexed frown of hers, omg her whole perfect face, and that Israeli accent smacking around some WW1 Germans. The soundtrack on Spotify has been on repeat all day. the one complaint I had about it is that stupid Steve Mnuchin was the Exec. Producer, but f' him.

Screw the haters who cannot handle a movie.

cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

Just saw it last night, at an Alamo Drafthouse, which is now getting sued by some stupid conservative snowflake because they had a "women-only" screening. :problem:

Dude. It's a movie.

I say the same exact thing to people complaining that Gal Gadot isn't "really" a "woman of color", or that she was in the IDF, or folks like Rosa Clemente boycotting it because it's neoliberal white supremacy in the service of empire or wtfe. :problem:

I love that cute perplexed frown of hers, omg her whole perfect face, and that Israeli accent smacking around some WW1 Germans. The soundtrack on Spotify has been on repeat all day. the one complaint I had about it is that stupid Steve Mnuchin was the Exec. Producer, but f' him.

Screw the haters who cannot handle a movie.

Wonder Woman? :lol: As you know I think, I am a huge fan of
www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

But I was never really into the Super Hero thing until i had grand-kids and this show came along.

There are numerous references to scientific theory, the world of physics on this show and I always have CC on so I can google the stuff and learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

The history of the character is fascinating.

BTW, the reason she originally carried a golden lasso is because her creator was into BDSM. It's true.

William Marston was a feminist, but he also liked dominatrixes.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/matr ... -woman-999

The Amazons were supposed to live on an island in the Mediterranean; they were basically an all-female race of Greeks; why would they then be expected to be "people of color"?

Like I said, Lynda Carter is now the President on the Supergirl TV series; plus, it seems, she's also an alien. So two barriers broken at once. :D

They even made an in-joke about WW on the show; Supergirl asks her about Air Force One, and she jokes "you should see my other plane". (The other weird thing -- Teri Hatcher was also brought back to the end of the series, from Lois & Clark, but now they made her a villain. A villain who actually tricked Lex Luthor's sister, who is now Kara's friend. Kara's boyfriend, Mon-El, had to leave Earth because she was his Mom from Daxam and tried to invade. Am I spoiling too much? :mrgreen: Also, her sister Alex has come out as lesbian and now has a policewoman girlfriend. )

And, yes, anybody boycotting the film either because Gal Gadot served in the IDF (or just is Israeli) or doesn't like the feminist messages, go take a hike.

Hopefully they will bring back Supergirl for a 3rd season. There's hints they may move Mon-El over to Legends of Tomorrow.

Last edited by ProfessorX on Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

But I was never really into the Super Hero thing until i had grand-kids and this show came along.

I read comic books as a youngun and was ruined for life.

Later in life, I discovered something called graphic novels, which is I guess comic books you can read as an adult and not be made fun of, the first was the Watchmen (1985), which was made into a movie a few years back.

Like I've said a couple times, Watchmen is a comic book, but it's very adult. The heroes sometimes have severe problems. Night Owl, based on Batman, is just neurotic. :D In fact, it definitely raises the question of whether some folks who put on tights and fight crime might just be right-wing nut jobs (like the Comedian, Rohrshach, or Hooded Justice, or Ozymandias.)

Hooded Justice wear a purple hood and noose outfit; I mean it screams "Klan". (He's from the 1st generation of heroes in the story.)

Alan Moore, the author, also did V for Vendetta.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

I read comic books as a youngun and was ruined for life.

Later in life, I discovered something called graphic novels, which is I guess comic books you can read as an adult and not be made fun of, the first was the Watchmen (1985), which was made into a movie a few years back.

Like I've said a couple times, Watchmen is a comic book, but it's very adult. The heroes sometimes have severe problems. Night Owl, based on Batman, is just neurotic. :D In fact, it definitely raises the question of whether some folks who put on tights and fight crime might just be right-wing nut jobs (like the Comedian, Rohrshach, or Hooded Justice, or Ozymandias.)

Hooded Justice wear a purple hood and noose outfit; I mean it screams "Klan". (He's from the 1st generation of heroes in the story.)

Alan Moore, the author, also did V for Vendetta.

I take my 3 grandsons to movies all the time and what I found was Star Wars and Star Trek are not big deals to them, but ANY superhero or Marvel is. When I watch a SH movie with them I get so much more out of it, watching them watch it. The intensiveness, no requests for candy or whatnot, too involved in the story and action.

My fave is the Deadpool I think it is but I wasnt allowed to take any of them to that one

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ryan Reynolds is a decent actor.

They gave him a crap script for Green Lantern. It's why, IMHO, they aborted any sequels for that movie, and he's not in Justice League.

They had him play a bizarre version of Deadpool in Wolverine: Origins, which they retconned out of existence.

At least in the Deadpool movie, they ignore that version of the character, and make him back into the wisecracking, 4th wall cracking character fans love.

Marvel had one other character who was like that - they made a movie out of him too back in the 80s IIRC - Howard the Duck.

He had no super powers. He just was a talking human-sized duck. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

The history of the character is fascinating.

BTW, the reason she originally carried a golden lasso is because her creator was into BDSM. It's true.

William Marston was a feminist, but he also liked dominatrixes.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/matr ... -woman-999

Like I said, Lynda Carter is now the President on the Supergirl TV series; plus, it seems, she's also an alien. So two barriers broken at once. :D

They even made an in-joke about WW on the show; Supergirl asks her about Air Force One, and she jokes "you should see my other plane". (The other weird thing -- Teri Hatcher was also brought back to the end of the series, from Lois & Clark, but now they made her a villain. A villain who actually tricked Lex Luthor's sister, who is now Kara's friend. Kara's boyfriend, Mon-El, had to leave Earth because she was his Mom from Daxam and tried to invade. Am I spoiling too much? :mrgreen: Also, her sister Alex has come out as lesbian and now has a policewoman girlfriend. )

And, yes, anybody boycotting the film either because Gal Gadot served in the IDF (or just is Israeli) or doesn't like the feminist messages, go take a hike.

Hopefully they will bring back Supergirl for a 3rd season. There's hints they may move Mon-El over to Legends of Tomorrow.

Didn't know that about William Marston. Alamo shows a retrospective of Wonder Woman on the "screens", including a bunch of pilots and clips from obscure 70s and 80s movies. Really well done, and lots of fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

I like Ryan, at least in that movie. He was in another one about a girl being a prisoner of a sex offender.

Anyway, I liked that movie DeadPool quite a bit.

http://movieweb.com/deadpool-2-cast-shioli-kutsuna/

Dont know who this is, but cant wait!

Quote:

Deadpool 2, which is set to come out on June 1, 2018, is about a year away and, as production nears, the cast of the highly-anticipated sequel continues to grow. Some very flashy names, such as Josh Brolin as the time-traveling mutant Cable, have been added to the cast, but the creative team has also been adding some lesser-know, but still intriguing talent. Case in point, Japnese actress Shioli Kutsuna has been added to the cast of Deadpool 2 in a mystery key role.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Cable appears briefly in X-Men: Days of Future Past. Well, some say he has a cameo. His friend Bishop does appear in the "future" part of the film.

He's supposed to be Nathan Summers, the son of Cyclops (Scott Summers) and the woman he married after Jean Grey died, Madelyne Pryor (btw she eventually realizes she's a clone of Jean).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:49 pm 
Policy Wonk

Deadpool was really shocking to me. That Marvel was now a purveyor of R-rated super heros. lol I mean, I grew up reading superhero comic books...Superman, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, etc...and I always thought they were aimed at tweens and teens.

I just finished watching the Netflix series, Jessica Jones. Loved it, even though it also wasn't what I was expecting. No cape, no tights, no mask... just an angst-filled woman with PTSD and the ability to knock out just about anyone. :) Oh! And Carrie-Anne Moss as a lesbian lawyer was a bonus. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

Deadpool was really shocking to me. That Marvel was now a purveyor of R-rated super heros. lol I mean, I grew up reading superhero comic books...Superman, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, etc...and I always thought they were aimed at tweens and teens.

Wonder Woman the TV series was not aimed at tweens. You can tell by those outfits on Lynda Carter, omg :oops:

Quote:
I just finished watching the Netflix series, Jessica Jones. Loved it, even though it also wasn't what I was expecting. No cape, no tights, no mask... just an angst-filled woman with PTSD and the ability to knock out just about anyone. :) Oh! And Carrie-Anne Moss as a lesbian lawyer was a bonus. :)

Man, you're tellin' me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

BTW, four days ago, they finally released a promotional poster for Justice League which shows Superman in it. Lois Lane is definitely in trailer #3. :D

You can already see from trailer #1 the premise ... Batman is working with Wonder Woman (who already met and worked together in BvS) to recruit the others ... although you don't know exactly why. (Although the fact that the villain is Darkseid seems to be known to everybody not yet in a coma.)

But early marketing materials for the movie suggested the League will have a 7th member. Whoever that is, s/he also hasn't been in any materials, either.

So, lots of speculation ... Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow (like Flash already on CW TV), Green Lantern, Atom, Firestorm, Hawkgirl? (The latter three have all been on Legends of Tomorrow, though Hawkman and Hawkgirl left the show after season one.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

Fucking loved it.

That too is in my DVD collection.

Hmm, starting to notice a theme here. I seem to be drawn to deviant and even psychopathic characters.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:19 pm 
Policy Wonk

Wonder Woman the TV series was not aimed at tweens. You can tell by those outfits on Lynda Carter, omg :oops:

Man, you're tellin' me.

:) Same outfits on the comic Wonder Woman. I guess at the time (when I WAS a tween), I sort of thought those feelings I got were unique to me, and that I was weird. lol Growing up is not easy. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

I always thought it was funny that all she had to was spin around, explode in a flash of light, and suddenly she was wearing her costume.

Superman had to at least run into a phone booth. :D

The other running joke. If she flies around in an invisible plane, people looking up in the sky would see her flying like Superman ... but in a seated position. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

BTW, four days ago, they finally released a promotional poster for Justice League which shows Superman in it. Lois Lane is definitely in trailer #3. :D

You can already see from trailer #1 the premise ... Batman is working with Wonder Woman (who already met and worked together in BvS) to recruit the others ... although you don't know exactly why. (Although the fact that the villain is Darkseid seems to be known to everybody not yet in a coma.)

Yeah there is a big tie-in in the WW movie. It's mostly, like 98% focused on Wonder Woman's past so they don't go into it but MAN it is good for Justice League, and whatever the next WW is going to be.

As MCU person, I didn't think I'd ever be in it for DC. But they knocked it out of the park with WW.

The other thing is, WW is not like a DC small screen or big screen movie at all and they do a really good job with juxtaposing the Barbarella elements of WW with a late bloomer woman coming of age in a really f'ed up world.

Much darker feel, though not as dark as the Dark Knight series. I was hoping there would be more of a cartoonish element that you get with small-screen DC, such as on Gotham, but that wasn't there, either.

Will be interesting to see Ms. Gadot and Ben Affleck. I kind of like him. But I'll always be partial to beautiful Christian Bale, though that guy could read off .js code and I'd be happy to watch him.

I hate stupid Steve Mnuchin for this. :problem: :P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

:) Same outfits on the comic Wonder Woman. I guess at the time (when I WAS a tween), I sort of thought those feelings I got were unique to me, and that I was weird. lol Growing up is not easy. :)

My generation had a deluxe edition of those feelings in the form of a pornographic layout in some "men's" magazine or other, featuring Lynda Carter and/or someone who looked an awful lot like her.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

My generation had a deluxe edition of those feelings in the form of a pornographic layout in some "men's" magazine or other, featuring Lynda Carter and/or someone who looked an awful lot like her.

Yeah it's interesting as a girl -- I was just saying in PM to someone else that I wasn't "allowed" to watch these sorts of things on television. Looking over at Wonder Woman television episodes it's like....yeah imagine my shock.

Parents know, even as they are operating under tons and cubic metric tons of denial. I do have to wonder though why they think restricting their already tomboyish dyke-y daughters from such things is ever going to forestall what they know to be the forthcoming case.

Much of this Wonder Woman movie was geared towards women like me, regardless of our sexuality. I am really glad they were able to include overtures towards the requisite male fantasies of being on an island with nothing but sexy, fit women, ostensibly also naive about the birds and the bees. WW had ways of addressing that fantasy with due dilligence around nonviolence, though.

And how many of us "women of color" were totally vindicated to learn that Lynda Carter is Latina. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah it's interesting as a girl -- I was just saying in PM to someone else that I wasn't "allowed" to watch these sorts of things on television. Looking over at Wonder Woman television episodes it's like....yeah imagine my shock.

Parents know, even as they are operating under tons and cubic metric tons of denial. I do have to wonder though why they think restricting their already tomboyish dyke-y daughters from such things is ever going to forestall what they know to be the forthcoming case.

Sure, here's the more blunt perspective on my previous post:

Mid-70's, I'm 9 or 10 years old, and spending way too much time in the bathroom.

Did you know that before puberty, boys have no problem with multiple orgasms?

Oh yeah, reaching for my highest ground...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sure, here's the more blunt perspective on my previous post:

Mid-70's, I'm 9 or 10 years old, and spending way too much time in the bathroom.

Did you know that before puberty, boys have no problem with multiple orgasms?

Oh yeah, reaching for my highest ground...

Heh you forget that I was step mother to at least one such boy in recent years.

Ever do sheets-day laundry in such a household? I could get more detailed, but anyway. Yeah I kind of get what you're saying, though not from direct experiecnce.

Between Adam West being kind of dorky-sexy as Batman and Wonder Woman and Get Christie Love and Joanna Cameron in ISIS and such, it could not have been easy. And that's just the kid's shows!

At least we girls didn't have to deal with the sheets and socks under beds problem :?