RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

I believe he was on the Westwood One radio network. I, too, listened to him on Sunday Nights out of their L.A. station. IIRC, he came on at either 10 or 11 pm.

Yes, he had both a live show and a syndicated one as well. I would listen to both.

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

In Los Angeles, where Dr D's show was put together, it was:

KMET

KMET and KLOS were the two main rock and roll stations in Los Angeles during those years (70's, 80's, and into the early 90's). KROQ mostly went after the younger, more "progressive" rock and roll crowd (beginning around 1980). Only, I did not have to sneak about to listen to KROQ. I blasted the hell out of whatever I wanted to and nobody ever gave me any grief over it.

Yeah I listened to all of the above, which was a rarity. It was heavily, almost violently socially stratified, too. The KLOS/KMET kids we're the "I hate f#gs" types and KROQ was almost literally "the f#gs", which was what that station was called because they played the emerging new wave/2nd British Invasion, and new romantics. And s lot of those artists were as gay as it got, for the times.

Really influential station, though, which pioneered the "modern rock" format.

Lol all I knew was that all these stations were an escape from the hell of being over sheltered in an extremely hostile social envious even as they contributed to the hellish climate of 1980s southern California.

cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah I listened to all of the above, which was a rarity. It was heavily, almost violently socially stratified, too. The KLOS/KMET kids we're the "I hate f#gs" types and KROQ was almost literally "the f#gs", which was what that station was called because they played the emerging new wave/2nd British Invasion, and new romantics. And s lot of those artists were as gay as it got, for the times.

Really influential station, though, which pioneered the "modern rock" format.

Lol all I knew was that all these stations were an escape from the hell of being over sheltered in an extremely hostile social envious even as they contributed to the hellish climate of 1980s southern California.

I'm grateful that a lot of good music and other stuff has been broadcast through the use of radio waves, but I feel no loyalty or overarching gratitude for any of the commercial radio stations, not one.

They are part and parcel to the underlying problems that exist today: how to market and sell your services to the highest bidder, and so on. Ideals like the Golden Rule do not matter to such people.

This thing labeled as "subversive music" has been helpful (meaning folks who cannot deal with such social commentary should probably be exterminated on sight, but let's not go astray here).

Sort of figure those broadcasting such massively subversive music had only a marginal understanding about the content they were putting out there and how it would impact the future. No surprise there, of course, seeing as how thoughtless bean-counters are primarily interested in short-term gain. Best I can tell, this is a primary feature of a considerable amount of human social, political, and economic activity: how much short term gain can I get for my side?

And what exactly is short term gain? In modern terms, it's mostly about this bullshit of "showing me the money." Nothing more, really. Just an incredibly elaborate confidence game.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

id have to add a few xmas songs to any list i made.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:09 am 
Board Emeritus

In Los Angeles, where Dr D's show was put together, it was:

KMET

KMET and KLOS were the two main rock and roll stations in Los Angeles during those years (70's, 80's, and into the early 90's). KROQ mostly went after the younger, more "progressive" rock and roll crowd (beginning around 1980). Only, I did not have to sneak about to listen to KROQ. I blasted the hell out of whatever I wanted to and nobody ever gave me any grief over it.

I was stationed in Victorville, east of L.A., from 1979-1984 and I didn't have much time to listen to the radio. During the day, our office had KFI 640 AM on which played a mix of current hits and oldies. Mostly, we listened to the Lohman and Barkley Show and when their long-running mini soap opera came on we'd stop work and listen to the 5-minute program. Corny jokes, corny story lines, and corny characters made the program funny.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

I was stationed in Victorville, east of L.A., from 1979-1984 and I didn't have much time to listen to the radio. During the day, our office had KFI 640 AM on which played a mix of current hits and oldies. Mostly, we listened to the Lohman and Barkley Show and when their long-running mini soap opera came on we'd stop work and listen to the 5-minute program. Corny jokes, corny story lines, and corny characters made the program funny.

Yep, we had KFI in the city, too.

But you know, I grew up in the era of cool kids who mostly listened to FM radio.

Going out to places like Victorville mostly served to remind me how much better things were in the city. And that ain't saying much considering how fucked up things are in that particular city. Got water?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yep, we had KFI in the city, too.

But you know, I grew up in the era of cool kids who mostly listened to FM radio.

Going out to places like Victorville mostly served to remind me how much better things were in the city. And that ain't saying much considering how fucked up things are in that particular city. Got water?

Victorville is a desert city and when the wind blows the dust and sand flies. It was a small town when I was there in the early 80s and about four years ago while driving to Las Vegas I stopped at Victorville and was amazed at how big it had grown. Small towns like Victorville even makes a small city like San Bernadino look good.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

LOL.

The theme song to "Beverley Hills Cop" is among the worst songs ever?

No way, man. It's got the hook and goes on from there. What more could you ask for?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

The real question I have is what is the Crazy Frog riding on in that animated music video? (Before he hops on the missile at the end.)

Maybe it's Wonder Woman's invisible plane. (So far, that hasn't made it to the movies.)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:33 am 
Board Emeritus

Silly Love Songs. Ack!

There's always "Halloween" by the Shaggs. But that's a whole other discussion.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:38 am 
Political Junkie

I used to enjoy listening to this broadcast
https://www.npr.org/2013/06/29/196911712/a-tribute-to-annoying-music-host
https://www.wbez.org/shows/wbez-news/remembering-annoying-music-show-and-magnificent-obsession-host-jim-nayder/e0358041-73b4-4788-8f16-8cbbe7b2668f

I think you can find many of the broacasts on line and purchase much of the music he focused on.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

Silly Love Songs. Ack!

There's always "Halloween" by the Shaggs. But that's a whole other discussion.

The Shaggs are the best!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

Here it was KROQ until Sunday night when Dr. D came on KMET, then it was the Met.

Welcome to Hollywood, you Midwest sons and daughters
Welcome to Hollywood, hey man can you spare a quarter?

Also there was a show on KCRW that was uber hip, and I never missed it. Called Snap, I think. Had all these rural-chic post-R.E.M. bands on live. Broke the Connells, Rievers, and Love Tractor in This Town. What was the host/DJ's name? Too long ago. Mostly everyone remembers the traumatic end of her employment, when she dared to confront the fearsome GM named Ruth Seymour, aka Ruthless, who made Cthulhu look like a nice guy. It was just too horrific. I repressed the whole episode. Better not talk about it any more, or I may need a companionship dog.

KCRW's music department imploded, and now runs hours of obscure Belgian techno-pop.

After that it moved to short wave, with Superpower KUSW, blasting the planet with a huge transmitter somewhere out near the Wasatch. Beyond hip, getting into the more rewarding aspects of fringe.* Until that got bought by a Bible-thumper.

Now... all gone. It appears that rock radio is over. Mostly gone to urban contemporary, and very mechanical.

-----

*That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Here it was KROQ until Sunday night when Dr. D came on KMET, then it was the Met.

Yep, KMET, otherwise referred to as "the Mighty MET."

Doesn't get more ridiculous than their fish reports, of which there were many, so let's take a look at just one:

KMET Fish Report

(This is an off the air recording from July, 1981. It features Paraquat [Kelley] and the "Burner" [Mary Turner].)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

Welcome to Hollywood, you Midwest sons and daughters
Welcome to Hollywood, hey man can you spare a quarter?

Also there was a show on KCRW that was uber hip, and I never missed it. Called Snap, I think. Had all these rural-chic post-R.E.M. bands on live. Broke the Connells, Rievers, and Love Tractor in This Town. What was the host/DJ's name? Too long ago. Mostly everyone remembers the traumatic end of her employment, when she dared to confront the fearsome GM named Ruth Seymour, aka Ruthless, who made Cthulhu look like a nice guy. It was just too horrific. I repressed the whole episode. Better not talk about it any more, or I may need a companionship dog.

KCRW's music department imploded, and now runs hours of obscure Belgian techno-pop.

After that it moved to short wave, with Superpower KUSW, blasting the planet with a huge transmitter somewhere out near the Wasatch. Beyond hip, getting into the more rewarding aspects of fringe.* Until that got bought by a Bible-thumper.

Now... all gone. It appears that rock radio is over. Mostly gone to urban contemporary, and very mechanical.

-----

*That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.

For me, it was The Seventh Day on KLOS (was able to listen to whole albums that way), then Dr. Demento on KMET, then Dr. Ruth., then the Dr. Demento syndicated show on KIQQ, 100.3.

I listened to these stations because we were too far out to pick up 1580 KDAY, the Black station. And by the 80s, KJLH was boring AF to me.

Anybody remember "New Wave Theatre" on Channel 18? That one was really hard to catch since it was a lot easier for my parents to police my TV-watching. I do remember the TBN utter freakouts about it. :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Wave_Theatre

Much more punk than what quickly broke off and became New Wave right around the same time, but there was a moment where "punk" even in Southern California wasn't the skinhead/klan/racist punk of the time, and included ska, reggae, Klaus Nomi, and some really interesting, diverse bands.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... theatre%22

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yep, KMET, otherwise referred to as "the Mighty MET."

Doesn't get more ridiculous than their fish reports, of which there were many, so let's take a look at just one:

KMET Fish Report

(This is an off the air recording from July, 1981. It features Paraquat [Kelley] and the "Burner" [Mary Turner].)

Man, those SoCA "Disco Sucks" bigots would really freak out if they knew that "Little bit o'heaven..." promo they went around singing all day was done by the Pointer Sisters :lol:

That was one crazy day when I came home from college, turned to 94.7 and discovered that KMET had become KWVE. But that was a really good intro for me to New Age music.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

LOL.

"I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it...

I'm about to lose control and I think I like it."

Oh yeah, oh yeah.

Totally fucking love the piano progressions in that song. Whatever.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

Little bit of heaven, ninety four point seven
KMET, tweedle-dee!

I don't know what was more obnoxious, knowing that KTWV The Wave had replaced one of the two best commercial FM stations in L.A., or being subjected to its vapid yuppie music.

L.A. punk was more anarchist than white supremacist. At least the artsy/brainy/filmy crowd I was in with wouldn't accept racial prejudice for a second. It might have been different out in the burbs. It had an uncomfortably militaristic edge, though. Kind of the residue of Apocalypse Now and the ongoing mass-consciousness rehabilitation of war that I mentioned elsewhere. The best dive to experience the scene was Club 88 on Pico. I was banged up one whole summer from pogoing there.

88 became more of a new wave club, and still tres cool and tres cheap. It later on broke R.E.M. in L.A., a rather legendary night which felt like maybe L.A. really could get its mojo back. Such innocent times those were. L.A. couldn't. It's all about hip-hop and the whole Straight Outta Compton gansta thing now. White guys over 17 need not apply, even if they carry guns.

McCabe's, the folk place another half mile or so down Pico, still has good bands at times.

Internet, paradoxically, made it harder to be cool in L.A.. It exposes internal dialogues, and little micro-scenes get wide publicity before they're really ready.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

Little bit of heaven, ninety four point seven
KMET, tweedle-dee!

I don't know what was more obnoxious, knowing that KTWV The Wave had replaced one of the two best commercial FM stations in L.A., or being subjected to its vapid yuppie music.

L.A. punk was more anarchist than white supremacist. At least the artsy/brainy/filmy crowd I was in with wouldn't accept racial prejudice for a second. It might have been different out in the burbs. It had an uncomfortably militaristic edge, though. Kind of the residue of Apocalypse Now and the ongoing mass-consciousness rehabilitation of war that I mentioned elsewhere. The best dive to experience the scene was Club 88 on Pico. I was banged up one whole summer from pogoing there.

88 became more of a new wave club, and still tres cool and tres cheap. It later on broke R.E.M. in L.A., a rather legendary night which felt like maybe L.A. really could get its mojo back. Such innocent times those were. L.A. couldn't. It's all about hip-hop and the whole Straight Outta Compton gansta thing now. White guys over 17 need not apply, even if they carry guns.

McCabe's, the folk place another half mile or so down Pico, still has good bands at times.

Internet, paradoxically, made it harder to be cool in L.A.. It exposes internal dialogues, and little micro-scenes get wide publicity before they're really ready.

Much of the 'burbs was Klantown, anti-Latino, definitely anti-Black and anti-Jewish, and a bunch of the white children followed suit, early. The first time I saw modern white nationalist recruitment materials was at Rhino Records in Claremont (this would have been 89? 90?)

I would have been too young to go to the clubs in the early 80s, anyway. But among my age group at that time, the kids calling themselves punk were already going racist/violent/Neo-Nazi skinhead. This is why I am never surprised at the SPLC maps with clusters of hate groups in southern CA.

Talk about the worst songs, ever .. :problem:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yes, Carmen, those burbs. I'm sure you're familiar with Brea, for example. You know, the former oil patch turned hate group heaven?

You are undoubtedly aware of the settlement patterns in SoCal, and how in the mid-century its real estate was offered to scared whites in the east as a new world away from Those People. And how every deed covenant had a white-only clause, courtesy KKK.

Like father, like son, or something like that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yes, Carmen, those burbs. I'm sure you're familiar with Brea, for example. You know, the former oil patch turned hate group heaven?

You are undoubtedly aware of the settlement patterns in SoCal, and how in the mid-century its real estate was offered to scared whites in the east as a new world away from Those People. And how every deed covenant had a white-only clause, courtesy KKK.

Like father, like son, or something like that.

Yeah, the KKK, the federal govt, public policy, paid for by Latinos, Blacks, and Asians for our segregation :problem: . We might have talked about this already? Very familiar with Brea, yes.

Have you seen the Los Angeles area HOLC maps?

This one is from ~1938 but the segregation patterns were still the same when I was growing up in the suburbs.

In fact, speaking of Brea, the place I started growing up before we moved isn't even ON the map, lol. Sad.

Here is the description of the area where we attended church in the 60s-70s, the closest "Black community" there was unless we wanted to traipse to Fullerton or something :problem: .

This is why when people get starry-eyed about the New Deal, there's still a bit of jaundice around it. The New Deal programs were every bit as segregated as the government and society that produced it. We're still dealing with that legacy, unfortunately.

Lol you're probably familiar with the controversy about Get Out being classified as a comedy for Oscars considerations. Lol it's probabaly somebody's biopic from the Inland Empire. :P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

I like Bread and Butter I like toast and jam that's what baby feeds me because I'm her lovin man. Now that you read it try and get it out of your head.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oh look! the LA Review of Books has been reading my posts!

Government Policies That Created Our Segregated Cities, and What Can Be Done About It

Quote:
(1) During the first half of the 20th century, FDR’s New Deal constructed public housing with federal funds from which African Americans were excluded, even when they worked at the same plants for which the housing was being constructed. In some instances, these programs demolished integrated neighborhoods and imposed racial segregation.

(2) Even after courts held that zoning ordinances forbidding the sale of houses to African Americans violated the Fourteenth Amendment’s right to equal protection, states and cities continued to enforce such laws in outright rebellion well into the 1970s on grounds that they were a legitimate measure to avoid “damage to home values.”

(3) When the federal government sought to fight communism by encouraging home ownership, all the incentives created to allow people of modest means to buy houses were explicitly denied to African Americans. For example, the Federal Housing Administration’s (FHA) insurance of bank mortgages that covered 80 percent of purchase prices expressly imposed a whites-only requirement on the ground that properties were too risky if they were in racially mixed neighborhoods, and moreover refused to provide insurance even in predominantly Black neighborhoods. Since middle-income African-American families could not get FHA insurance, for decades they simply did not have access to even those small number of houses they could otherwise afford that were built in neighborhoods where sellers would sell to them.

(4) Racially restrictive covenants written into property deeds were enforced and even promoted by the federal and local governments on the ground they were private agreements. The FHA and the Veterans Administration recommended and at times required such provisions in order to extend insurance to a purchase. Even after such requirements were finally deemed unconstitutional in 1948, courts continued to permit lawsuits against white owners who sold homes to African-American buyers for decades on the ground that their property values would decline.

More in link.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oh sure, both of us know how the home finance system was completely racist. This especially goes for the American-dream tract-home era of the 1950s, where people of color need not have applied. Obviously, in a place like SoCal that was largely settled in the mid-century, this locked in the racial patterns we see to this day.

There are a few exceptions due to later blockbusting and white flight. Inglewood comes to mind. At one time, the Klan ran it, and African Americans did not cross the tracks. Literally, they were on the wrong side. This division no longer exists.