Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: The Post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't really think there are such things as spoilers here, since everyone knows what happens. It's about the Washington Post taking an existential risk on the Pentagon Papers and transitioning from a DC Establishment rag to a serious news organization capable of taking down a president. Consider it the prequel to All the President's Men. Literally. It ends where that one started.

Meryl Streep is great, as always, as the publisher and family scion who inherited the paper. It's a very internal performance. The hard kind. Lots of agonizing in closeups. Lesser actors would have turned in a laugher. We're seeing possible Oscar here.

I loved all the period stuff (there's that word again). Where the hell did they find a back shop with Linotype machines and the old-skool cold-type presses? Etc..

It'll be of interest especially to people who are up on their Vietnam history either through living it or reading a lot about it. Three stars.

Post subject: Re: The Post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's not a documentary, but it is historical fiction, and I don't think there are spoilers in historical fiction/docudrama. They may take a bit of artistic license, but we always know the ending. :D

It looks interesting. Of course, we know about the past/present basis of most of these kind of stories, and it's interesting it's being told as the Post is becoming one of Trump's biggest thorns in the side - though I am not a fan of Bezos/Amazon by any means, I will say he's maintained the WP as a decent paper of record, and I of course certainly don't mind he's investigating Trump as thoroughly as Woodward and Bernstein went after Nixon.