Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Black Panther review
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

This was a good film. It was less oriented toward action and more toward the moral implications of using advanced technology to advance one’s own agenda vs. keeping it hidden for one’s benefit and survival.

The action scenes were typical of this genre—dark, fast paced, and hard to keep track of who the good guys are. The film worked best when it focused on human interactions in and during combat rituals, developing tech for protection and weaponry, and escaping danger.

What I found most interesting was that each opposing side had a good point in their intention of what to do about a piece of otherworldly technology that can be used for weaponry. It gives the audience a chance to consider these alternatives without becoming too preachy. I give it 4 starz

Post subject: Re: Black Panther review
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

What made Killmonger an interesting villain is his motivations were quite understandable. Not your usual mustache-twirling bad guy. But he does sort of represent the African-American "gangster" type versus T'Challa's noble-savage African-borne type. It really is a matter of ends, rather than means.

Here's an interesting review.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/238564 ... ng-k-brown

In the movie, Killmonger essentially wants to arm the disenfranchised with Wakandan weaponry so that they can rise up against their oppressors. This comes from a place of clear pain due to something that happened in Killmonger's past. It's what makes Killmonger such a sympathetic character, but one can't forget that he plans to accomplish his goals by killing anyone in his way and then probably a lot more people after that. According to Sterling K. Brown in an interview with ABC, Killmonger's (and his own character, N'Jobu) intentions are honorable, but ultimately his methods won't result in meaningful or good change.

Part of the reason that Killmonger has become so sympathetic is that his main viewpoint is right: Wakanda is wrong to keep it's vast wealth and resources to itself and refuse to help others. Even Chadwick Boseman considers T'Challa an enemy in the movie in this regard. However, Killmonger ultimately really only cares about himself, and as Sterling K. Brown later points out, his intentions are being confused with his personal ambitions.

He wasn't trying to create a legacy. He was like 'I want this for myself. That's where the intention gets confused with personal ambition, but what he was able to illuminate... is that he is not without a point.
Killmonger places himself in a position of power in Black Panther, and then he takes steps to make sure that he is the only one who will ever hold this power again. That goes against his central sales pitch of ultimately helping others and future generations. Plus, you don't get a name like Killmonger for being a good dude. However, it's endlessly fascinating that a villain in a comic book movie is being painted with such subtle strokes that both sides of the debate are valid.

[snip][end]

It's obvious that while T'challa doesn't adopt his methods, he is angry at his father T'Chaka for what he did to him and HIS father ...
that is, killing Killmonger's father, then leaving the child an orphan in America

and it is Killmonger who ultimately convinced him to make the decision he adopts at the end of the film. (to end his nation's isolation).
“In times of crisis, the wise build bridges, while the foolish build walls.” -- Marvel’s Black Panther (who do you think THAT is aimed at? ;) )

... that, BTW, seems to be setting up Wakanda's importance in the Infinity War, as I think recent art may suggest they don't have the Soul Stone, but may be important for other reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ultimately, they had to draw that contrast between our superhero and his arch nemesis. Otherwise, we'd end up with, well, a Captain America VS Iron Man scenario.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:10 am 
Board Emeritus

Some of this is mild spoiler territory. I am not going to spoiler box it because these are not significant plot details. But still, if you want your experience totally unspoiled, I'll warn.

Ok ... let's proceed.

So, I really thought, as I said, Ulysses "Klaw" would be the main villain. I mean, he even mentions Johannesburg at one point, so you figure he's Boer South African. You can even hear the accent. Maybe sense the racism. Would have been interesting for HIM to be the main nemesis ... but no.

He had a brief role in Age of Ultron, so at least you know how he lost his arm and had it converted into a sonic cannon. :D
(Everett Ross, the CIA guy, has a brief role in Civil War. So we've seen him before.)

On the one hand, Killmonger earned his name for obvious reasons ... he was special ops in Iraq & Afghanistan, and those myriad scars on his body are all supposed to each represent people he killed. This is why I think you know T'challa doesn't stand a chance once he takes the potion to remove his powers. I think the main reason he's a villain are his methods, not his goals. T'Challa also wants to help black people in America, but not through giving them weapons to kill all the whites. ;)

The moment that shows his selfish ambition is when he burns all the "heart shaped leaves" in the mystic garden. Once he has the power of the Black Panther, no one else can have it, lest they also dare to challenge him as well. He's not willing to share power with anybody else. He also talks about making Wakanda into an empire. That's basically switching from isolationism to imperialism. Plus it's clear he wants to rule Trump style. Any dissidents need to be exiled or killed. :twisted:

I think those things make him the villain. But you're right, if they left it more ambiguous, the audience might be confused.

Incidentally, I always found the end of Civil War a bit puzzling. Tony knows at that point that Winter Soldier had been mind controlled by Hydra. He knows Zemo has set everything up. (Although yes they do head fake you over the idea that Zemo's trying to revive the other winter soldiers. Nope, never the plan. But oddly, he could have carried out the same plan just by sending Tony the video file of Howard's murder on his cell phone. Anyway, wouldn't have been as dramatic.) Despite all this, he's willing to beat Cap to a pulp so he can kill Bucky ... whereas Tony has seemed so cool and rational up until that point, down to obeying the government (uncharacteristic for him, but then he is clearly doing it out of guilt) ... he basically decides to kill Bucky because he killed his Mom ... (doesn't seem to care so much about his dad) ... does it out of pure emotion, anger and revenge.

But then, Zemo said he was good at profiling people ... knew that would be the reaction. Tony is cool and rational ... up to a point.

Will Cap & Tony kiss & make up in Infinity War ... I think the plot of the film will be about the Avengers ... reassembling, in the face of this overwhelming threat from Thanos. But, we also know Bucky is alive (and deprogrammed, but Tony doesn't know that) so ... what happens next? Tony hasn't given up on his grudge ... or will he?

The sequel (Avengers 4) was supposed to be Infinity War II, but ... well, I guess we'll see how they shift that. Because they've now said that's not the title for the sequel.

There's been a lot of buzz over maybe a team member dies, helps bring them back together (both the originals and the new members) ... again we'll see.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:47 am 
Board Emeritus

I approach these films with the idea not to try to analyze. When I do, as I tried with the X-Men, my mind gets blown. So I watch, sit back, and enjoy the show. Except the last Logan movie which was more of a downer than an upper.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, in general, the usual answer to these questions is "it makes for a more dramatic, less boring movie".

That's why Zemo lures both Cap and Tony to that location at the end. A fight scene there was a lot more dramatic than them slugging it out in Tony's house. :D