Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Ready Play One
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

The movie Ready Play One took the top place at box office this weekend. I saw the movie Friday and it was better than what the trailers showed. For those who are fans of video games, comics, pop culture, and movies this movie has a lot of references to those from the 80s to the present. There are a lot of CGI comic characters throughout the movie and it was fun to pick them out.

Here's the studio synopsis of the movie:
In the year 2045, the real world is a harsh place. The only time Wade Watts (Tye Sheridan) truly feels alive is when he escapes to the OASIS, an immersive virtual universe where most of humanity spends their days. In the OASIS, you can go anywhere, do anything, be anyone-the only limits are your own imagination. The OASIS was created by the brilliant and eccentric James Halliday (Mark Rylance), who left his immense fortune and total control of the Oasis to the winner of a three-part contest he designed to find a worthy heir. When Wade conquers the first challenge of the reality-bending treasure hunt, he and his friends-aka the High Five-are hurled into a fantastical universe of discovery and danger to save the OASIS.

If you're looking for a fun, escape movie this is it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

The film is chock full of video game and 80s popular culture (although some stuff is from later periods). The nostalgia is strong with this film. So many homages. And, of course, the virtual world that is the heart of it is just amazingly depicted. I understand many things were changed from the book ... but sure enough, it was IP problems that led to those changes (as well as the usual importance of narrative simplification). You may think pop culture icons from the 80s are now in the public domain ... but not yet.

Being, of course, a past (and if I begrudge it, maybe occasionally still a present) gamer and consumer of so much of that pop culture ... obviously in that way the film is a gem. Especially how it sort of delves into the history of Easter Eggs in gaming ... and yes, it's true those go all the way back to the original Atari 2600.

The ending of the film is ... well, I'll spoiler box it.

On the one hand, yeah, happy ending. Wade and his buddies save the OASIS from IOI (in the trailer, I always thought their logo was "101") and it's a happy ending, but is it? Wade (& friends) may now be a trillionaire and now in control of what appears to be the world's largest MMORPG. The real world dystopia they appear to live in in 2045 (the "Stacks") has not been fixed or altered one iota. They've only saved this escapist virtual world.

In that sense, the film is kinda ... still depressing. You are happy for the protagonist. But the rest of the world? The OASIS may have a bright future ahead of it, but ... people are still living in the Stacks. Even if Wade & his pals turn off the OASIS for 2 days a week so people can actually experience some real life.

Post subject: Re: Ready Play One
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

Looks like great fun. I did a lot of that kind of thing in This Town, back in the day when it was cutting edge instead of retro. Details are classified, as usual.

Old, old, old premise, like everything else. I recall a similar take on VR in one of those paranoid man vs machine age SF stories where an astronaut got in the wrong kind of time warp, and ended up in the future when WORLD SENSEWAYS ran everything. Civilization as we know it was in serious decline, while everyone saved up for their permanent VR hookup.

I'll see it eventually, one way or another, so I didn't read your spoiler.