It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:38 pm 
Policy Wonk

Radio show host Art Bell dead at 72

Quote:
Art Bell, a radio host best known for a paranormal-themed nightly show syndicated on hundreds of stations in the 1990s, died at his home in southern Nevada, authorities said Saturday.

Nye County Sheriff Sharon Wehrly announced in a Facebook video that Bell died Friday in Pahrump. He was 72. An autopsy will be conducted to determine cause of death, she said.

Bell hosted the popular radio talk show Coast to Coast AM before he left the airwaves in 2002. He broadcast the show from his radio station, KNYE, in Pahrump.

The program focused on Bell's conspiracy theories and his fascination with the paranormal and unexplained phenomenon such as UFOs and crop circles. He served as his own producer, engineer and host, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal.........

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

I never hear one of his shows. If his shows focused on conspiracy theories, UFOs, and crop circles it doesn't sound like he will be greatly missed.

I suppose he has family, they'll miss him. :|

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:38 pm 
Policy Wonk

Sam Lefthand wrote:
I never hear one of his shows. If his shows focused on conspiracy theories, UFOs, and crop circles it doesn't sound like he will be greatly missed.

I suppose he has family, they'll miss him. :|

he was pretty entertaining lot of people will miss him, the callers were entertaining as well.

if your not familiar with him here is an interview he did with Larry King and George Carlin

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:12 am 
Board Emeritus

he was pretty entertaining lot of people will miss him, the callers were entertaining as well.

if your not familiar with him here is an interview he did with Larry King and George Carlin

Well I suppose so, a 5 hour middle of the night show about conspiracy theories isn't my bag though.

I miss Utah Philips radio show Loafer's Glory. In this video of his show he interviewed Pete Seeger:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:53 am 
Policy Wonk

I honestly gave Coast to Coast a try...several times, since some friends insisted it was soooo entertaining. Just boring to me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:02 am 
Board Emeritus

It was sometimes the only thing on late at night on the radio, well other than the third-string DJs on the music stations that hadn't signed off.

Art could have interesting guests, physicist Michio Kaku talking about parallel universes, hey, it beats some weird electro-Polka on the other stations.

As I said, I didn't really like George Noory as the new host after Art. Art might get people talking about CTs, but it was usually limited to Area 51, Roswell, that type of thing. His politics were all over the place, but he did write a book about climate change. OK, so maybe it didn't help it was with the world's most famous UFO abductee, Whitley Streiber.

Noory got more 'militia' type guests, real far out RWNJs who would bash Obama as the agent of the NWO. Less Fox Mulder, more Alex Jones.

Noory ruined the show (IMHO). Haven't listened much, since.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:20 pm 
Policy Wonk

Could Art Bell have been the inspiration for Alex Jones? Even though Bell was nothing like Jones, personality or attitude, I wonder if he got Jones started on the path to "lizard people," etc.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

Art leaned libertarian, and had some off political views, but supported Obama in 2008. Mostly, when he hosted Coast to Coast, he avoided politics. Except, of course, guests who constantly said the government was hiding the truth about UFOs. :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coast_to_Coast_AM

Art Bell stated that the decision to come out of retirement was entirely his, a response to the direction that George Noory has taken the show—too much political talk (Noory contends that Coast is “bi-partisan, straight down the middle“ but most correspondents and political guests are rightwing) and not enough of open-minded exploration of the supernatural that defined Bell's tenure as host. Noory, Bell says, has "ruined" the franchise of Coast to Coast AM

[snip][end]

Noory might say that, but my occasional ear hits after Noory took over the show is that Art was right. Noory started having way more of what I would call "patriot/militia" type guests.

Noory was closer to Alex Jones than Art was. Toward the end of his life, Art kinda hinted that Premiere Networks/Clear Channel "forced" him into retirement and replaced him with Noory. An experience that might seem familiar to us Randi Rhodes fans. ;)

The movie Day After Tomorrow, was based on Art's book about a future post-climate change dystopia, called The Coming Global Superstorm.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Seemed like Art Bell's show was harmless, which is more than I can say for the stuff now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:51 pm 
Policy Wonk

Art Bell Final Wave Goodbye

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

Could Art Bell have been the inspiration for Alex Jones? Even though Bell was nothing like Jones, personality or attitude, I wonder if he got Jones started on the path to "lizard people," etc.

i think alexjones got his trip from this show, he'd want to out-do art Bell like glen beck wanted
to outdo anything before him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

as for coast to coast wanting more RW bullshit at late nite...iirc art Bell wasnt that thrilled about
his looming retirement. it makes sense now that rw would want to replace him with more alexjonesy
glen becky bullshit talk.