SAG-AFTRA vote formally ends strike

TV, Movies, Music and the Rest!
ZoWie

SAG-AFTRA vote formally ends strike

Post by ZoWie »

They'd already gone back to work, but the formality is over as 78% of the 38% who bothered to vote ratified the new contract. Thus end the epic "Hollywood strikes." Some important gains were made on residuals and overuse of AI, but essentially it's still the same old industry. CEOs plead poverty and then buy bigger mansions in more places, while bragging about how in their business they get your money from tickets/subscriptions, and then again off the back end from advertising and product tie-ins.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Number6

Re: SAG-AFTRA vote formally ends strike

Post by Number6 »

Good. Now that both the writers' and actors' strike if over I can go to the movies. I plan on seeing The Holdovers on Saturday.
When you vote left, you vote right.
gounion

Re: SAG-AFTRA vote formally ends strike

Post by gounion »

In most union votes, if you didn’t vote, that means that (a) you’re fine with it and (b) you’re sure everyone else is for it and it’ll pass. The ones against it are ALWAYS going to vote. The press found several folks that wanted far more, they’re again always the ones running to a microphone.

It sounds to me like the members were happy with what they got.

And wins like this usually carries over several more contract cycles - the employer now know the union can stick together, and they won’t want to lose another one, they’ll be able to make strides through the next several contract cycles, as the companies will want to come to an agreement.