RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

My childhood friend Billy, guitar player, and myself are playing again.

The other day the "Bluff Creek Boys" or two of them came over and jammed with us, they are better than we are and improve our sound exponentially :rw)

I put it on FB and a lot of what we are recording sounds pretty severely ROUGH but my theory I could drop dead any day, for real, so why not.

Every day now when Randi Rhodes show is over at 3 I head over to Billy's and we jam for an hour or two. It is saving me, literally.

He and his wife are libs like us, so we have all that in common or it wouldnt work.

I say "my drums" but I bought them on craigslist a few weeks ago having not had a set in over 35 years and not playing in that long other than a couple times.

I wish everyone had music in some respect, really helps.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Working on a non acoustical version of this along with many other songs, such as

Pusherman & Born To Be Wild, Steppenwolf
Stairway to Heaven
Old Man & Cinnamon Girl - Neil

Love Like a Man - 10 years After
Whiter Shade of Pale - Procol Harum
Rebel Rebel - Bowie - Billy is trying to learn this one now, dont know the drums part yet

Evil Ways - Santana
Born On the Bayou

We need a bass player

I also sing, but if you know anybody who plays an instrument, any instrument, and sings at the same time :D congratulate them because it is HAAARRRDDD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:36 pm 
Policy Wonk

I'm a bassist. My musical ventures are what keep me sane. A couple of bands, and a lot of open mics. I live for it every week.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:14 am 
Board Emeritus

The other day the "Bluff Creek Boys" or two of them came over and jammed with us, they are better than we are and improve our sound exponentially :rw)

I put it on FB and a lot of what we are recording sounds pretty severely ROUGH but my theory I could drop dead any day, for real, so why not.

Every day now when Randi Rhodes show is over at 3 I head over to Billy's and we jam for an hour or two. It is saving me, literally.

He and his wife are libs like us, so we have all that in common or it wouldnt work.

I say "my drums" but I bought them on craigslist a few weeks ago having not had a set in over 35 years and not playing in that long other than a couple times.

Working on a non acoustical version of this along with many other songs, such as

Stairway to Heaven

Rebel Rebel - Bowie - Billy is trying to learn this one now, dont know the drums part yet

Evil Ways - Santana
Born On the Bayou

We need a bass player

I also sing, but if you know anybody who plays an instrument, any instrument, and sings at the same time :D congratulate them because it is HAAARRRDDD

Few drummers sing and play drums at the same time because drumming ties up physical resources which singing needs. What I'm trying to say is one cannot breath correctly to do both at the same time. It would be like singing while running.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:42 am 
Board Emeritus

True in general.

I did both in our band, and my singing was mediocre to bad at times. Sometimes there were bright moments. My band mates didn't have a problem with it, but I did. At least I got to be in the back hidden somewhat when we played a few shows. Although I'm not a trained singer anyways. Mostly just a hack :)

The other problem, of course, is focus. It's difficult to remain on key when you can't hear yourself very well because you have drums in your face. We tried monitors now and then but the problem there was lack of budget and sound setup was limited. Ear buds were not affordable either.

To this day though I tend to sit down whenever I record vocals. Bad habit.

Voting with hurt fees to pwn the libs:
Quote:
because of this board... it will be very hard for me to support a Democratic candidate.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:03 am 
Board Emeritus

True in general.

I did both in our band, and my singing was mediocre to bad at times. Sometimes there were bright moments. My band mates didn't have a problem with it, but I did. At least I got to be in the back hidden somewhat when we played a few shows. Although I'm not a trained singer anyways. Mostly just a hack :)

The other problem, of course, is focus. It's difficult to remain on key when you can't hear yourself very well because you have drums in your face. We tried monitors now and then but the problem there was lack of budget and sound setup was limited. Ear buds were not affordable either.

To this day though I tend to sit down whenever I record vocals. Bad habit.

YOu are in a band now?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:05 am 
Board Emeritus

I'm a bassist. My musical ventures are what keep me sane. A couple of bands, and a lot of open mics. I live for it every week.

awesome

so far only the rafters of Bill's garage and FB friends have heard us...I have had health scares lately and figured fuck it, gonna play and gonna upload some of it to FB (nowhere else to put it that anyone I know will see it) just in case.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:07 am 
Board Emeritus

Few drummers sing and play drums at the same time because drumming ties up physical resources which singing needs. What I'm trying to say is one cannot breath correctly to do both at the same time. It would be like singing while running.

I never thought of it that way, did this when I was younger and had the same problem. For me it is less about the breathing and more about the beat, cant keep it and sing on time or "in the pocket" as Sinatra says.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:36 am 
Board Emeritus

YOu are in a band now?

Not really. By that I mean, I record my own music solo.

The guys I used to play with lost interest.

Quote:
because of this board... it will be very hard for me to support a Democratic candidate.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

Not really. By that I mean, I record my own music solo.

The guys I used to play with lost interest.

Oh the music room I would have if I won the powerball.

As mediocre as we are, Bill and I, better equipment would make a difference.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

I should have started with drums instead of guitar. Everybody needs a trap drummer, and I seemed to be pretty good at it. I'm also pretty good on guitar, but so's everyone else, and yes, guitarists really need to have a voice too. I don't.

I'll stick to visual art. I know I'm wired for that.

Libertas, I would imagine that drumming is very good for you.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

Stairway to Heaven

Evil Ways - Santana
Born On the Bayou

We need a bass player

Although Mrs. Bird teaches physics and is librarian at the high school from which she graduated her college major was music. She was not a performance major but music education. She is a contralto. We have a dvd of her and three of her friends doing beauty shop quartet. Even though it is women the low voice is designated "bass". They do a nice version of "Sentimental Journey" with her as lead. At her senior recital she did the Habenera from Carmen. She directs the church choir and I was drafted to sing in it.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:10 am 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, 10. Like I said few drummers.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:35 am 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, 10. Like I said few drummers.

No, Sam, that was the TOP ten. Not the ONLY ten.

You can drum and sing. Some people aren't bound by your limitations. Only YOU are.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:02 am 
Board Emeritus

No, Sam, that was the TOP ten. Not the ONLY ten.

You can drum and sing. Some people aren't bound by your limitations. Only YOU are.

GoUnion there might be as many as two million small towns and villages in the world. Most small towns and villages in the world have two or three bands and most bands have a drummer. That's a lot of drummers. Some of them manage to sing.

I did not as you have implied say that one cannot drum and sing at the same time. I stated that the two activities interfere with each other. And I said few, I didn't say none. You're implying I said none because you're saying since you can show me someone who does drum and sing I'm all wrong.

Then you stuck your nose up my ass in saying I'm bound by my own limitations.

Drumming is an athletic aerobic experience, if a person throws their whole self into it they're going to soon be breathing hard and they'll break a sweat. You ought to try it.

I grew up in a small town, was in a few bands, and my family owned the music store.

Few drummers sing. :|

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

GoUnion there might be as many as two million small towns and villages in the world. Most small towns and villages in the world have two or three bands and most bands have a drummer. That's a lot of drummers. Some of them manage to sing.

I did not as you have implied say that one cannot drum and sing at the same time. I stated that the two activities interfere with each other. And I said few, I didn't say none. You're implying I said none because you're saying since you can show me someone who does drum and sing I'm all wrong.

Then you stuck your nose up my ass in saying I'm bound by my own limitations.

Drumming is an athletic aerobic experience, if a person throws their whole self into it they're going to soon be breathing hard and they'll break a sweat. You ought to try it.

I grew up in a small town, was in a few bands, and my family owned the music store.

Few drummers sing. :|

The old "argument from authority". You're a self-titled authority at sooo much.

Sorry, but you put out bullshit, I called you on that bullshit. And then you said "well that's only ten drummers" (and if you watched the video, there were more than ten in the video). You couldn't admit that, well, as much as you said drummers can't sing, they prove you full of it.

And many singers make singing an aerobic exercise and sweat WITHOUT playing an instrument! Could YOU do what Freddie Mercury did without breaking a sweat? Or Pink, who does aerial gymnastics while singing at her concerts?

And what do you call dancers that sing while dancing? That's CERTAINLY an aerobic exercise! How idiotic can you goddamn be?

I don't accept your limitations. Many drummers at least sing harmony in bands. I knew a few back in the day. I've seen a lot more.

Don't ever tell artists they can't do something. They'll make you look like an idiot every time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

The old "argument from authority". You're a self-titled authority at sooo much.

Sorry, but you put out bullshit, I called you on that bullshit. And then you said "well that's only ten drummers" (and if you watched the video, there were more than ten in the video). You couldn't admit that, well, as much as you said drummers can't sing, they prove you full of it.

And many singers make singing an aerobic exercise and sweat WITHOUT playing an instrument! Could YOU do what Freddie Mercury did without breaking a sweat? Or Pink, who does aerial gymnastics while singing at her concerts?

And what do you call dancers that sing while dancing? That's CERTAINLY an aerobic exercise! How idiotic can you goddamn be?

I don't accept your limitations. Many drummers at least sing harmony in bands. I knew a few back in the day. I've seen a lot more.

Don't ever tell artists they can't do something. They'll make you look like an idiot every time.

I'm not idiotic enough to go round after round with you in this thread when you're on a toot. Go pester someone else. :|

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm not idiotic enough to go round after round with you in this thread when you're on a toot. Go pester someone else. :|

Translation: "I've got nothin'!"

Yeah, I knew you didn't have any rebuttal. You were full of shit, so you're done.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

YOU guys :rw)

Music is GOOD...unless it is Hank Williams Jr or Toby Keith

Oh, you werent arguing about that in the first place. OK

It is funny sometimes to just read this place...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sorry, Lib, but when someone says "What I'm trying to say is one cannot breath correctly to do both at the same time." and I see drummers, as well as dancers and other kinds of artists do that every day, I just have to call bullshit.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:00 pm 
Policy Wonk

if it makes you feel good is much better than if you are good at it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sorry, Lib, but when someone says "What I'm trying to say is one cannot breath correctly to do both at the same time." and I see drummers, as well as dancers and other kinds of artists do that every day, I just have to call bullshit.

I paid attention to that aspect after Sam said it and I am a little confused now...

I assume the problem is like that old thing of tapping your head and rubbing your stomach in a specific direction at the same time, remember that? Which would have zip to do with breathing and I assume that is the problem.

However, I am not totally opposed to considering the breathing thing. Your argument about singing dancers makes sense, on the other hand.

One thing I am going to try next is take a deep breath, and sing a line or two while playing and see what happens before I take a new breath. I am curious. I should have tried that yesterday, forgot, my guitar player is gone till wed which means so am I , he has the keys...

The problem is so severe that I might be able to learn something in that 15 seconds or so that I am singing, playing and not breathing in.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

I paid attention to that aspect after Sam said it and I am a little confused now...

I assume the problem is like that old thing of tapping your head and rubbing your stomach in a specific direction at the same time, remember that? Which would have zip to do with breathing and I assume that is the problem.

However, I am not totally opposed to considering the breathing thing. Your argument about singing dancers makes sense, on the other hand.

One thing I am going to try next is take a deep breath, and sing a line or two while playing and see what happens before I take a new breath. I am curious. I should have tried that yesterday, forgot, my guitar player is gone till wed which means so am I , he has the keys...

The problem is so severe that I might be able to learn something in that 15 seconds or so that I am singing, playing and not breathing in.

Well, I'm NOT a musician, but I've seen drummers singing, and I've seen dancers do amazing, athletic things while belting out amazingly, so I certainly know that Sam was wrong when he said it couldn't be done. He should have told Sheila E. she couldn't drum and sing at the same time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's not so much the singing and drumming I think; it's sitting down part that can cause issues. Sheila E is standing there.

Good form for singing in general is to stand, for proper breathing, stretched chest, open throat, diaphragm etc. I took a few singing lessons and I always had to stand.

But, as you say, there are lots of drummers that sing and sit, and do it well, just as there are talented folks who can sing sitting down.

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

:|

Not really true. If your drumming is coming off as "athletic" it means you're putting way too much effort into it or you're new.

Sweating under hot lights is one thing, but good drumming form doesn't require as much effort as you think. It's not about spazzing out and hitting the skins with hard force swinging your arms around. You use the drum heads and control the bounce off it through wrist and palm movements. I can drum for hours on end without getting tired.

The problem tends to come from sitting down, and perhaps in many cases it's too hard to syncopate a beat and sing at the same time.

Quote: