RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

Not really true. If your drumming is coming off as "athletic" it means you're putting way too much effort into it or you're new.

Sweating under hot lights is one thing, but good drumming form doesn't require as much effort as you think. It's not about spazzing out and hitting the skins with hard force swinging your arms around. You use the drum heads and control the bounce off it through wrist and palm movements. I can drum for hours on end without getting tired.

The problem tends to come from sitting down, and perhaps in many cases it's too hard to syncopate a beat and sing at the same time.

The bands I played in or were around tended toward heavy metal. When I was in high school though I assisted but was not a band member with a band which specialized in playing for church dances. Mormon and Catholic dances mostly and some weddings, some proms. Their drummer didn't need to sweat. But he tended to anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

If a drummer wants to make drumming an athletic aerobic exercise, because they're in a band that wants that image, then that's the drummer's choice I guess. But it doesn't really require that sort of effort when a drummer develops. When I see folks that don't know how to drum playing kits at the store, they often throw their bodies and arms into it from lack of experience or skill. But the bounce is free, and there's not lot of physical effort required when you have skill and control.

Voting with hurt fees to pwn the libs:
Quote:
because of this board... it will be very hard for me to support a Democratic candidate.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

Skill and control does that when handling any kind of instrument or tool.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:03 am 
Policy Wonk

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:30 am 
Board Emeritus

Not really true. If your drumming is coming off as "athletic" it means you're putting way too much effort into it or you're new.

Sweating under hot lights is one thing, but good drumming form doesn't require as much effort as you think. It's not about spazzing out and hitting the skins with hard force swinging your arms around. You use the drum heads and control the bounce off it through wrist and palm movements. I can drum for hours on end without getting tired.

The problem tends to come from sitting down, and perhaps in many cases it's too hard to syncopate a beat and sing at the same time.

Hours? :rofl: Well you are younger than me then...

I didnt know you were a drummer! It is true proper technique will not require huge sweating sessions, and for me the issue is my back around my shoulder blades. I also am not sure about sticks these days, I have some of these

https://www.zzounds.com/item--MUPMNDST?siid=111917

Not sure where I got them, either Amazon or my local music store. They are very light and I want more but not a dozen more. Anyway, getting the right feel and size of stick is of course important, the maple are much lighter than these other ones I have

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... iMQAvD_BwE

and these are heavier...the 2b vs 5a, i havent bothered to try and figure out what is what there as to these numbers, it has been so many years that I dont remember how that system works. I go by feel and so far I do like these maple sticks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

I didnt know you were a drummer! It is true proper technique will not require huge sweating sessions, and for me the issue is my back around my shoulder blades. I also am not sure about sticks these days, I have some of these

Not sure where I got them, either Amazon or my local music store. They are very light and I want more but not a dozen more. Anyway, getting the right feel and size of stick is of course important, the maple are much lighter than these other ones I have

and these are heavier...the 2b vs 5a, i havent bothered to try and figure out what is what there as to these numbers, it has been so many years that I dont remember how that system works. I go by feel and so far I do like these maple sticks.

Yah I'd literally sit for hours playing to CD's. Even our old jam sessions would be between 1.5 and 3 hours sometimes. My posture is terrible though, and in part it's from slouching while playing.

We actually bought an e-kit so I could teach my son but he has a problem with me teaching him things. I was going to try again now that he's a bit older.

I typically use the Vic Firth 5A's. It's what I'm using now.

Quote:
because of this board... it will be very hard for me to support a Democratic candidate.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

I've forgotten what those numbers and letters mean too. I used to know, I used to be able to stand next to the stick rack at the store and rattle off the details about it to mothers and a sixth grade school kids, who were there to buy the beginning band book and a pair of sticks.

The number is probably the weight of the stick. I don't know what the letter relates to physically. I remember telling mothers and kids that an A stick was made for tap tap tap, D sticks were for thud thud thud. The other letters were between.

I remember being in sixth grade showing up for the first day of band with my trumpet and that same beginning band book. One of the things I remember from that day which matches what I do remember from the music store is that when kids are deciding what to play way too many of them want to be drummers.

At the sixth grade level the director didn't try to weed those excess drummers out. I remember that awful end of year concert my sixth grade class made our parents attend.

I went to a small rural school and my grade school band met in a shed behind the school. Our sixth grade class band had four drummers, I played trumpet, Terry had a sax. Two girls played clarinet.

The girls were grossed out about the spit valves on my trumpet. I decided to be grossed out about girls sucking on their reeds.

I decided that Terry's reeds were different and therefore OK, they were bigger reeds for one thing, and they weren't being spit on by girls.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

I always liked buying my sticks in person. Even though they tend to be pretty decent these days, it's always nice to check them and roll them across a flat surface to make sure they're not warped.

Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

I always liked buying my sticks in person. Even though they tend to be pretty decent these days, it's always nice to check them and roll them across a flat surface to make sure they're not warped.

Yeah, that.

I need to drive down to the store. I guess when I move I wont take them with me, I sure cant take my guitar player with me. Probably wont play anymore unless I find new friend who plays. And has a garage to play in.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

Like new strings on a guitar, nothing beats a new pair of sticks on the drums.

Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sina reminds me of when I was working nights at liquor store, get home at 1 am and play along with headphones on to this

Original Journey was NOTHING like the later Steve Perry version.

Original drummer, Aynsley Dunbar is one of the greatest of ALL time.

I was then and especially now nowhere near as good as Sina is, but back then I was good enough to play much of what you hear (I take that back, not much, but some) :rw) on this album though not lick for lick like she could. By this album I mean the Journey album.

I am a drummer, I have seen most the great rock groups, live, NOTHING like Aynsley other than of course the greatest of ALL time

Greatest EVER

BTW if you are not familiar with the early Journey, you are missing out

here is the other classic

Yes CJ, I know :rw)