Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Crazy Rich Asians
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

I dont get it, dont think it is funny, not really.

Is it me?

Post subject: Re: Crazy Rich Asians
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

I dont get it, dont think it is funny, not really.

Is it me?

Yes, it's you. It's a romantic comedy but instead of it being set in the U.S. with Americans it's set in Singapore with Chinese characters. I enjoyed the movie more than I thought I would. As for the comedy, it wasn't slapstick comedy but a bit more subtle comedy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yes, it's you. It's a romantic comedy but instead of it being set in the U.S. with Americans it's set in Singapore with Chinese characters. I enjoyed the movie more than I thought I would. As for the comedy, it wasn't slapstick comedy but a bit more subtle comedy.

I wont waste our time listing the non slapstick comedies I am a huge fan of, and in some cases know the dialogue of by heart, but I will give this a 2nd chance I guess.

Rom com sure, I get the romantic part of it, I just not sure where the laughs are.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

I wont waste our time listing the non slapstick comedies I am a huge fan of, and in some cases know the dialogue of by heart, but I will give this a 2nd chance I guess.

Rom com sure, I get the romantic part of it, I just not sure where the laughs are.

What it always comes down to is what the individual likes/dislikes. There are movies I can't stand like any of the Godfather movies and Armageddon. Movies I like that most people don't like are Tremors and The Postman.

If you like or dislike Crazy Rich Asians there's nothing wrong in that; it's just your likes/dislikes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:18 pm 
Policy Wonk

What it always comes down to is what the individual likes/dislikes. There are movies I can't stand like any of the Godfather movies and Armageddon. Movies I like that most people don't like are Tremors and The Postman.

If you like or dislike Crazy Rich Asians there's nothing wrong in that; it's just your likes/dislikes.

Agree with you on the Godfather series; same with The Sopranos. I've just never thought glorifying gangsters was cool.

Comedy is strange. I can't quite put my finger on why I like or dislike something. For instance slapstick...I love the old Marx Brothers films, but couldn't stand Benny Hill. I'm strange though, I didn't think Blazing Saddles was as funny as everyone thought. Loved anything Monty Python did. lol

Now I want to check out Crazy Rich Asians. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

Agree with you on the Godfather series; same with The Sopranos. I've just never thought glorifying gangsters was cool.

Maybe it’s because gangster movies tend to be a heavier drama and it’s hard to make a gangster film which is romantic or light-hearted.

Quote:
Comedy is strange. I can't quite put my finger on why I like or dislike something. For instance slapstick...I love the old Marx Brothers films, but couldn't stand Benny Hill. I'm strange though, I didn't think Blazing Saddles was as funny as everyone thought. Loved anything Monty Python did. lol

I’ve always loved the Marx Brothers because their brand of humor runs from slapstick to innuendos to plain farce. I had a hard time understanding Laurel and Hardy until the local host of an afternoon TV program, back in the early 70s, explained their comedy. It has to do with the timing of their jokes. In their case, there would be two jokes (verbal or sight) followed by a pause and then dropping the third joke. Since learning this, I’ve been able to appreciate their humor.

As for Blazing Saddles it was funny when it came out because that brand of comedy was new in the early 70s much like Laugh-in was when it came out on TV in the late 60s. Today, there are still many parts of Blazing Saddles which still cracks me up.

Quote:
Now I want to check out Crazy Rich Asians. :)

If you like rom-coms, you’ll like this. One rom-com I especially like is Sandra Bullock’s While You Were Sleeping and Crazy Rich Asians is on par with it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

I've never seen the Godfather movies as glorifying the Italian Mafia.

In fact, seen as an arc, it seems to me the message of films I-III is that poor Michael Corleone, as much as he wants out of that gangster life, is that there is no way out of that life, "they will keep pulling you back in". To me, III hammers home the series is tragedy. You can't escape the cycle of vengeance, and it will claim those close to you.

Though, of course, we do get to see Michael never does die from violence, and at least he has some happy moments to look back upon. Some only he knows about, of course.

Now, we could talk about Goodfellas. :D