RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

You can see my review of season 3 in the Binge thread. I don't know what the deal is considering it was a popular series among comic nerds. There won't be a season 4 despite there being a new villain introduced and fans speculating about the fate of Wilson Fisk and his new wife.

WHY NETFLIX, WHY???! :crying:

http://www.radiofreeliberal.com/viewtop ... 95#p432795

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

There's been some speculation about Marvel shows leaving Netflix. They already cancelled Luke Cage and Iron Fist abruptly. In the latter case, I think no one was shocked. No offense to the actor, but he really didn't carry the role well and certainly not enough to save it from poor writing.

It's too bad. I loved the Defenders team-up series, hoped it could be brought forward for a sequel/re-teamup once the rest of them realized Daredevil was still alive, but oh well.

I think the problem is all of Marvel seems to be flowing toward Disney control now, and it looks like their new Disney-based streaming service will be the future of Marvel-based TV (as opposed to films) and eventually it seems even X-Men, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man and all the Sony/Fox stuff is moving that way, too. Maybe Daredevil is going there.

The Mouse has control of two of the hugest titans in sci-fi fandom now, with Star Wars under their control, too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:35 am 
Policy Wonk

I can only remember one TV series that was given new seasons simply because of fan demands: "The Paper Chase." I'm sure there are others, but it sticks out in my mind because it was so good.

Lucifer, Person of Interest, and many other great and popular shows were axed way before their time.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:28 am 
Board Emeritus

So it seems one may have to subscribe (and buy) ANOTHER streaming service to see any future Marvel adventures. :x

I read that the writing team for the show already had season 4 outlined and working on specifics when they were told to pack up. They were like WTF?? It was that sudden. AND STUPID.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:32 am 
Board Emeritus

I can only remember one TV series that was given new seasons simply because of fan demands: "The Paper Chase." I'm sure there are others, but it sticks out in my mind because it was so good.

Lucifer, Person of Interest, and many other great and popular shows were axed way before their time.

I saw the film The Paper Chase and I barely remember it so I never bothered with the series. Another thing, NBC was always cancelling shows I liked right in the middle of story lines. The Pretender was one of them. Another one, Flamingo Road, was a weekly soap!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

The original Star Trek was restored to the schedule because of fan interest. Thing is, they deliberately put it in a time slot (Friday night, I believe) when most of its demographic wasn't home (no VCRs/DVRs yet). When its ratings inevitably tanked, they canned it.

Quote:
I read that the writing team for the show already had season 4 outlined and working on specifics when they were told to pack up. They were like WTF?? It was that sudden. AND STUPID.

Not surprising. That's show biz. The right way, the wrong way, and the above-the-line way.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

The original Star Trek was restored to the schedule because of fan interest. Thing is, they deliberately put it in a time slot (Friday night, I believe) when most of its demographic wasn't home (no VCRs/DVRs yet). When its ratings inevitably tanked, they canned it.

Yep, the five year mission only lasted three years/seasons.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

I saw the film The Paper Chase and I barely remember it so I never bothered with the series. Another thing, NBC was always cancelling shows I liked right in the middle of story lines. The Pretender was one of them. Another one, Flamingo Road, was a weekly soap!

The Pretender was a good program and the only real complaint I have about it is it turned a little to "dark" in the story line.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

IIRC, the first TV program to be brought by the fans was The Avengers in the 1960s. ABC aired the program for one season and announced it was cancelled. Fans wrote to ABC and ABC relented and brought the show back.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

IIRC, the first TV program to be brought by the fans was The Avengers in the 1960s. ABC aired the program for one season and announced it was cancelled. Fans wrote to ABC and ABC relented and brought the show back.

I remember seeing that when I was a kid. Mr. Steed and Emma Peel. :)

Fast forward to a few years ago and I was watching Game of Thrones and the "Queen of Thorns" was a riot and one of the best characters.
It was several weeks later when I saw the credits and went :o that's Diana Rigg!