It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Avengers: Endgame
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

This one is coming soon. End of this month. :D

Here's all the trailers they've shown, end to end, starting with most recent.

Note that in many of the recent trailers, the Avengers are wearing the kind of white suits Ant-Man uses to enter the Quantum Realm.

Captain Marvel is already in the trailers, not that you couldn't know that from her own post credits scene.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

As I've said, we kinda know they must be doing something to undo the Thanos Snap ... Spider-Man Homecoming has a sequel coming out later this year. :mrgreen:

Will an Avenger give their life to make that happen? Stay tuned ... lots on the rumor mill about that possibility.

Post subject: Re: Avengers: Endgame
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

So... massive spoilers are about to follow, I just saw it on Sunday, and so out come the spoiler boxes. I do not want Kevin Feige to threaten me with ... well, something.

1. Yes, they undo the snap. Yes, this means that everyone who vanished at the end of Infinity War is back, AND gets a rematch with Thanos and his goons, even though they kill Thanos at the beginning of the film. One of many lovely things created by the magic of time travel. It's Thanos the Younger. :D Even some folks who were not in IW feature in Endgame, like Valkyrie, and of course Ant-Man and Hawkeye/Rhonin. Coming back at the end are Wasp and many others once the snap is undone.
1a. This is thanks to Ant-Man and his Quantum Realm, although it takes Tony Stark messing around with his tech to turn it into a workable form of time travel. BTW, if you saw the trailer and wondered, Tony makes it back to Earth because he is found by Captain Marvel.
2. Tony Stark dies. He has a 5 year old daughter named Morgan. But Pepper apparently also has an Iron (Wo)man suit, so it seems likely that Pepper or Rhodey will take over as Iron Man 2.0. He sacrifices himself to do a second snap that wipes out Thanos and his army. Stephen Strange holds up "one" finger right before he does this - this is why Tony had to live ...
3. Captain Marvel is in the film, but only the beginning and the end. Oddly. She does play a pretty big role at the end.
4. Thor gets fat, decides he does not want to rule over New Asgard (which honestly looks like a pretty boring fishing town here on Earth), gets back Mjolnir, wields it and Stormbreaker in each hand, BTW it turns out Cap can wield Mjolnir too, and the only think that doesn't make sense is why Cap can use it to throw lightning too given what Odin said, but anyway. Fat Thor turns over ruling New Asgard to Valkyrie, and goes off with the Guardians of the Galaxy at the end of the film. Fat Thor really likes beer and playing video games with Korg.
5. Captain America decides at the end to go back in time and spend time with Peggy Carter, reappears as his older self, obviously chose to live out his days with her till he became old, turns over the shield (which was wrecked in the battle with Thanos ... somehow, guess Thanos CAN break vibranium ... but somehow he got it back from the past just like Thor did Mjolnir) ... to Sam Wilson/Falcon, who I guess will be Captain America 2.0.... people wonder why he didn't give it to Bucky, and I think the reason is obvious ... people still don't trust Bucky/Winter Soldier even if the Wakandans did deprogram him and are more likely to rally around Sam as a former soldier like him.
6. Banner has turned into "Professor Hulk," he now has his strength and his regular intellect at the same time. Despite both of them surviving, it doesn't seem like he moved his relationship forward with ...
7. Black Widow, who BTW sacrifices herself so Hawkeye can get the Soul Stone. Hawkeye tries to sacrifice himself instead, but she reminds him he has a family who presumably will be coming back (and as she told Banner, she can't have children) ... so ... maybe it's good, she is also dead at the end, which still makes Banner pretty ... angry.
8. Still dead, obviously, as they weren't wiped out by the Snap, are Loki, Vision, and Gamora. Although Quill runs into the Gamora from the past, who hasn't met him yet ... so ... the odd thing is, somehow Disney + will feature shows involving Vision and Loki, so those presumably are prequels?
9. So if there is an Avengers 5, who could be in it? Well, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Sam Wilson/Cap 2.0, Rhodey/ Iron Man 2.0, Ant-Man & The Wasp, Winter Soldier, Scarlet Witch, and Hawkeye, though he may retire again and possibly train a successor. I don't think Spider-Man will join, now that Tony Stark is gone. Neither will Dr. Strange.

We know the MCU is going forward. I have a feeling we may even eventually see a new Avengers team.

OK. Here comes my spoiler free reaction. If you see it, bring a hanky. Some definite tearjerker moments throughout. This has some confusing moments, but wraps MOST of the narrative arcs of the Avengers MCU together relatively nicely. It's everything you expect in a superhero film. Big action, emotional moments.

There is no end post credits scene. However, you do hear the sound of what sounds like a hammer clanging on an anvil at the end. What that means, has led to all kinds of speculation. As to what it could relate to, well there's some stuff in the spoiler box above.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:33 am 
Board Emeritus

Saw it last Saturday. Loved it. Thor is hysterical. Will be buying it and Captain Marvel when they come out on DVD.

Btw, trailer for Spider-Man looks interesting.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:16 am 
Board Emeritus

Chris Hemsworth is hilarious, he has amazing comic talent. That definitely comes out in his very funny "himbo" role in the Ghostbusters remake. You've probably seen the fake trailer where Thor hangs out with his roommate.... it's odd how they even worked quite a bit of comedy into the end of the world in Ragnarok ....

Looks like in the Spider-Man sequel, Jake Gyllenhaal plays Mysterio ... but maybe not as the villain.

There's some details to the return of him and many other people that I'm wondering if the film will address. Maybe a quick few throwaway lines at the beginning.

Technically, him and probably half of his classmates have been gone 5 years, though it seems to them like only 5 seconds. Looks like Ned also got snapped, as he doesn't seem to have aged 5 years. BTW, if you're wondering why Hulk may not be coming back to Avengers, using the Infinity Gauntlet seems to have fried his arm. Maybe he will heal. It seems like Nat and him didn't continue their relationship, I suspect maybe largely because she didn't like him staying green all the time ... physical issues. Captain Marvel is so amazing, she basically flies through Thanos' star destroyer and wipes it out single-handedly. She's powerful.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:49 am 
Political Junkie

I don't generally enjoy seeing movies in a crowded theater.

I loved watching this one with a sellout crowd because there was applause, whoops, and tears at various points during the movie. Looking forward to seeing it at home to see what I missed.

Advice - pee before the movie starts and don't drink during the show. It's long.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:05 pm 
Policy Wonk

:lol: Of course The Onion had to weigh in...

Attachments:
Bummer.jpg
Bummer.jpg [ 78.7 KiB | Viewed 383 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

Chris Hemsworth is hilarious, he has amazing comic talent. That definitely comes out in his very funny "himbo" role in the Ghostbusters remake. You've probably seen the fake trailer where Thor hangs out with his roommate.... it's odd how they even worked quite a bit of comedy into the end of the world in Ragnarok ....

Looks like in the Spider-Man sequel, Jake Gyllenhaal plays Mysterio ... but maybe not as the villain.

There's some details to the return of him and many other people that I'm wondering if the film will address. Maybe a quick few throwaway lines at the beginning.

Technically, him and probably half of his classmates have been gone 5 years, though it seems to them like only 5 seconds. Looks like Ned also got snapped, as he doesn't seem to have aged 5 years. BTW, if you're wondering why Hulk may not be coming back to Avengers, using the Infinity Gauntlet seems to have fried his arm. Maybe he will heal. It seems like Nat and him didn't continue their relationship, I suspect maybe largely because she didn't like him staying green all the time ... physical issues. Captain Marvel is so amazing, she basically flies through Thanos' star destroyer and wipes it out single-handedly. She's powerful.

Re: Ragnarok Thor, son of Odin. Sirta, son of a bitch. (Hulk coming out of the hot tub)...and he’s naked. And it’s in my brain.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't generally enjoy seeing movies in a crowded theater.

I loved watching this one with a sellout crowd because there was applause, whoops, and tears at various points during the movie. Looking forward to seeing it at home to see what I missed.

Advice - pee before the movie starts and don't drink during the show. It's long.

Wasn’t sold out at the screen where we saw it but then they ran 2 3D screens iirc and about 6 other screens at that theatre. They had it running every half hour.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm so happy they brought back Korg in Endgame. His only role in the movie is ... well, as Thor's roommate. What, you expected the King of New Asgard to have a palace? BTW, Korg is playing Fortnite in the movie, which as you may have heard, has tie-in Avengers content. He's getting trash talked by another player, and Thor handles the situation. :D

Fortnite's appearance in Avengers: Endgame makes no damn sense!
https://www.pcgamer.com/fortnites-appea ... amn-sense/

(IMHO, neither this article nor I have spoiled anything important, but it is a funny moment.) :rw) :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeh, I recommend against drinking a 64 oz Supra Gulp during the film. But if your bladder does hold out 3 hours, as I said, don't wait for a post credits scene. There isn't one. Supposedly, Feige is going to lay out the films of Phase 4 sometime after Spider-Man Far From Home. The buzz mill has it that Phase 4 may include an Eternals film, and they also apparently are doing Shang-Chi, who should not be confused with Iron Fist, as he is (unlike David Carradine or the guy in the Defenders) actually Asian and his fist doesn't glow. :D

There is a sound effect that plays after the final credits, it may be a hint at something, (may I add folks insist it's the same sound Tony makes when clanging out his first set of armor in a cave, not saying anything more), but that's it.

BTW, some people claim you can see the names of dead X-Men (presumably also hit by the Snap) in one cemetery scene, but this rumor is unverified. Dark Phoenix is the last non-MCU film (well, maybe New Mutants); the X-Men will be phasing back into the MCU within a few years.

Yes, a Wolverine vs. Hulk rematch, it could be coming.

Oh, and I (that is, Professor X) WILL be appearing in Season 3 of Legion on FX, but not played by either McAvoy or Stewart. :D Alas, I've heard the Gifted is toast, which is sad.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:00 am 
Board Emeritus

I have mixed feelings about it. I enjoyed the action and humor, but the "sad" scenes just sort of pissed me off. I don't like the fact that 3 of the original Avengers had that ending.

SPOILERS:

You mean to tell me that Chris Evans is done as Captain America?? Scarlett Johanssan is done? As for IronMan, I knew that was coming, only because Robert Downey is getting on in years.

I avoided any articles or trailers for this film to avoid spoilers. I'm glad I did because boy, was I surprised (and not too happy).

What has me stumped is what of Loki and the Tesseract? In the alternate timeline, he got away. This may have altered his destiny regarding Thanos.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:51 am 
Board Emeritus

Gonna answer your spoiler box with another spoiler box, Rita.

1. Yep, Chris Evans signed a 6 film contract with Disney/Marvel and that contract is up. He was kinda hinting, as opaquely as possible, it was not going to be renewed, even before the film's release. Now the puzzling ending doesn't make complete sense as if he went back and changed the past by marrying Peggy that should have split off in a different timeline, according to the film's own logic, so how did he show up as an old man at the end of the film? It looks like Falcon/Sam will be the new Captain America ... I think it's obvious why he chose Sam over Bucky, and I think even Bucky understood. We're not exactly sure if Bucky is completely deprogrammed by the Wakandans, and he's still remembered as a foreign assassin (the Winter Soldier) ... not a good choice to be the new Cap.
2. Phase 4 is supposed to include a Black Widow solo film. Well, unless they are going to do a "search for Natasha" thing where they try and bring her back from the Soul Stone (again, supposedly for both her and Gamora this is impossible, but now once again thanks to bizarre time travel 2014 Gamora is alive in 2019) ... and I think that's unlikely, guess it will have to be a prequel/backstory.
3. As if Infinity War was not full of foreshadowing so bleak it could bite your tuckas, yeah, everybody I think could see Tony Stark taking his exit. But now there's at least two new people who can take over as Iron Man (Rhodey, or perhaps even Pepper. Morgan ... gotta wait a decade or so.) My guess is Tony left behind files on the suit's tech so maybe Banner and Rhodey can even keep coming up with additional improved designs.
4. So, Rita, here's the odd puzzle. The new Disney + streaming service is supposed to have a Loki series. So everybody's wondering how that will play out. Prequels is the obvious answer, but are we instead going to see the adventures of the "time-split-off" Loki from 2012 with the split-off Tesseract instead? They seem to have set that up. The other puzzle is it's going to have a series with Scarlet Witch and the Vision called WandaVision ... well, again, same question. Are we going to be seeing prequels of themselves, or DID Shuri maybe manage to save Vision's AI code before Thanos pulled the Mind Stone from him? Could they restore Jarvis-Vision somehow? Guess we're gonna find out.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

The film's timeline logic didn't make sense, but I'm not a quantum physicist. It just makes my head hurt trying to figure it out, so I don't. But yeah, I see your points.

I really like Infinity Wars and I will say this new one was a lot better than the Age of Ultron. I found that one even more confusing and the character of Vision was poorly developed and became important too quickly.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:51 am 
Board Emeritus

Physicists aren't even really sure time travel is actually possible. Some do believe in multiple universes, aka "the multiverse" (in physics it's called the Many Worlds theory), but they haven't yet proven they exist. Even if time travel were possible, the ways you could do it don't seem survivable, like going through a singularity. Anyway, they really have no idea what consequences it would have, even if it were possible. The Grandfather paradox is often discussed. Most THINK that if you went back in time and killed your own grandfather, you're simply creating a split timeline where you never existed, but not affecting your own. Of course, the honest fact is, no physicist has any real idea. Again, even going back to whether it's possible.

Of course, you can't possibly shrink yourself down to subatomic size, either. Pym Particles are made up. :D The weird thing is subatomic particles seem to sometimes go backwards in time (tachyons) but it's not like you could turn yourself into one. :D

Anyway, I agree that the problem with Vision is he got killed off way too quickly. Like so many characters of his type, he was exploring what it meant to be human, and I don't think his story arc really gave him enough of a chance. At the beginning of Infinity War, we see Scarlet Witch and him are in love (like in the comics), but never saw the backstory.

I find it was fascinating he too could wield Mjolnir. We're never told why. The obvious answers are:

1. He's like an elevator. He's a machine, not an actual living being. (Could that mean other robots could do it?)
2. The power of the Mind Stone.
3. Something else about him made him worthy. (Although at the point it happened, again, it's not clear why.)

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:39 am 
Board Emeritus

I shouted "YES!" when you-know-who picked up the hammer and gave Thanos an ass whooping :rw)

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:29 pm 
Political Junkie

I shouted "YES!" when you-know-who picked up the hammer and gave Thanos an ass whooping :rw)

Something tells me you weren't the only one.

One of the biggest audience respons scenes in the movie.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

Well, but "so and so" :D should not have been able to use it to throw lightning, according to what Odin said in Ragnarok, but anyway. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeh, I recommend against drinking a 64 oz Supra Gulp during the film. But if your bladder does hold out 3 hours, as I said, don't wait for a post credits scene. There isn't one. Supposedly, Feige is going to lay out the films of Phase 4 sometime after Spider-Man Far From Home. The buzz mill has it that Phase 4 may include an Eternals film, and they also apparently are doing Shang-Chi, who should not be confused with Iron Fist, as he is (unlike David Carradine or the guy in the Defenders) actually Asian and his fist doesn't glow. :D

There is a sound effect that plays after the final credits, it may be a hint at something, (may I add folks insist it's the same sound Tony makes when clanging out his first set of armor in a cave, not saying anything more), but that's it.

BTW, some people claim you can see the names of dead X-Men (presumably also hit by the Snap) in one cemetery scene, but this rumor is unverified. Dark Phoenix is the last non-MCU film (well, maybe New Mutants); the X-Men will be phasing back into the MCU within a few years.

Yes, a Wolverine vs. Hulk rematch, it could be coming.

Oh, and I (that is, Professor X) WILL be appearing in Season 3 of Legion on FX, but not played by either McAvoy or Stewart. :D Alas, I've heard the Gifted is toast, which is sad.

Re: phase 4 It makes me wonder (and hope) that the end of Guardians of the Galaxy 2 will result in Adam Warlock. I would also be interested in seeing Deathlok the Demolisher. I also would think that we will see Dr. Strange and Mordo colliding.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

Got good news for you bird. They teased him at the end of Guardians 2, and looks like they may have an actor for him for Guardians 3.

Rumor: Zac Efron to Play Adam Warlock in James Gunn’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/05/ ... axy-vol-3/

He was a no-show for Infinity War. but looks like he will be showing up in GotG 3. Whether as hero or adversary (or maybe a switch in the middle) is unclear.

A Dr. Strange sequel looks planned for Phase 4, and the buzz is it will feature his disciple/lover Clea. Also "Brother Voodoo". As well as Mordo.