RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:51 am 
Board Emeritus

So, finally saw it, let me just say I'm still partial to the Raimi-Maguire films, they are still my favorites. I'm not crazy with the MCU iteration as they've mostly made the Holland character into a protege of Iron Man. At least they opted not to do the origin story one more time and just introduced the character in Civil War. Also, they chose to make him really young, still not yet out of high school, which is of course what Peter Parker was in the earliest of comics.

I liked the film. In many ways, they are coming of age stories, which is cool, when Peter FIRST appeared in the comics he was that young and dealing with similar stuff. I still think the Raimi ones are better. We could talk about the 3rd, and maybe why Raimi never did a 4th because of it. I always kinda felt the two Garfield reboots were not impressive or terribly memorable. They tried to build up this massive mystery over the death/disappearance of Peter's parents ... but never really utilized that. If you're expecting a massive wrap-up of Endgame ... well they do discuss the events, but it is sort of strange. Yes, they do mention that half the world has been missing for five years (that would seem to include all of Peter's friends in his high school class as they all haven't graduated yet) ... which would have had massive impacts on human society ... but never really go into that, seems the world has picked up and moved on easily. Enough to get busy taking summer vacations in Europe. The death of Iron Man is something Peter and everyone else is reacting to. (Listen, homies, if you don't know this happened in Endgame at this point, I hope you're keeping your cave clean.)

I'm going to put the next stuff behind spoiler tags. Here we go into the plot of the film.

The film has a plot twist you could detect a mile away if you're familiar with who Mysterio is in the comics. Folks who watched the trailer already had their suspicions, how could they be making him into a good guy? Well, he's not, he's been playing Peter the whole time. After all, he is in the comics the master of illusion, and the whole thing has indeed been a deception. So that multiverse thing that got everybody so excited? He's BSing about being from another Earth. Not that the MCU doesn't have a multiverse - the Ancient One, for example, discusses it - but he was just lying about it. And, of course, that idea is central to the Spider-Verse animated film, although that's not in the MCU continuity. The one thing they changed up about his origin is of course, like so many other MCU baddies, he's a Stark Industries employee who got screwed over by Tony and so is using his "BARF" holographic tech to make himself look like a hero. Peter goes through a massive letdown as this new post-Tony surrogate father figure turned out to be manipulating him all along.

You gotta stay for the post credits scene. The MCU seems very bad at people keeping their secret identities. Almost nobody does, so you wonder why they bother wearing masks. So, sure enough, Mysterio gets his revenge, he released a "fake news" viral video that tries to STILL make it seem like Spidey is the bad guy and he's the good guy, but worse yet, exposes Peter's secret identity. The piece de resistance is who does the exposing ... its J. Jonah Jameson of the BLOG/WEBSITE "Daily Bugle" and yes he is played by JK Simmons ... again. And if you were wondering how Mysterio could have fooled arch-spy Nick Fury as well ... he didn't, the Nick Fury in the film is actually a shape-shifting Skrull, another deception.

The MCU seems to do this a lot ... they made the Mandarin in Iron Man 3, who in the comics had been a powerful arch-nemesis, essentially into another character just playing an evil terrorist on TV, Ben Kingsley was just a has-been actor doing it as a deception.

Anyway, you really think the film ends on a high note ... he got the girl, he's swinging through town with this "MJ" ... and then that video comes on on the Times Square Jumbotron. Now it's not just Aunt May and MJ and Happy Hogan who know who he is ... the whole world does. AND he's got J. Jonah telling them he's really a bad guy. It's a dark turn for future films. This film ends so-called Phase 3 and now we will have Marvel Phase 4. For reasons no one is sure about yet, given Endgame events, Phase 4 will include a Black Widow solo film. It is, everyone assumes, a prequel.

BTW, just a side thing, won't do it separately, I'm really finding the Agents of Shield new season appropriately perplexing. Coulson is back. Or is he? He's now "Sarge" and the guy wearing his face claims to not be the other guy everyone knew on Earth and is instead some kind of intergalactic mercenary -- who somehow has his face and DNA. It's a real mystery who he really is, as his newly introduced nemesis, "Izel". The promo for next week reveals she's still alive and thus so is Sarge's vendetta against her. Why did she create the Shrike? Is she a destroyer of worlds? According to what Benson found, the Inca seem to have thought of her as some kind of demoness. Does that mean "Sarge" is still a good guy, albeit one with ruthless methods? We still don't know. Or how he got to the universe with Coulson's face.

"Fitz" has returned but since he's a younger version of the himself who died (love the MCU and its timey-wimey time travel) ... there's a lot he doesn't know about what happened over the last year or so, including that Deke is apparently his grandson. :D

Agents of Shield seems to be pre-snap, although it seems to be basically blowing the continuity of the films by doing so. :mrgreen:

Last edited by ProfessorX on Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:46 pm 
Policy Wonk

Yeah, the new Sarge/Coulson character is perplexing, but still, the series has me anxious for each new episode. My only serious complaint is that the character "Bobbi Morse" left the series, but from what I've read it was Adrianne Palicki's choice. I guess I should give The Orville a watch if I want to see Adrianne some more. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Interesting trend to put all these franchises that have been set in either real New York (Men In Black) or faux New York (most of the others) are in international settings this year. I get the idea that someone had the idea to do this, and then everyone else got wind and said, wow cool, let's do it too.

In other words, Hollywood as usual.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think it's interesting the way both Mack and May are reacting to Sarge. Well, May, especially, if what we saw happening on the end of the last episode was real and not an illusion or dream. :D

You know, we never saw Phil Coulson die ... only May's description that she watched him die during their last days on Tahiti before the beginning of this season ... it happened "offscreen".

In superhero flicks, that usually means there's something we still don't know :D , and I think that has something to do with why Sarge exists. Izel certainly dropped some curious hints about him in the last episode, but we really are not sure who's telling the truth about whom.

Again, it's odd how much Sarge seems to resent Mack being in charge ... almost as if he's Coulson resenting the new leadership ... :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:25 pm 
Policy Wonk

And don't forget when Sarge told May that he was going to "convert" (not sure if that was the exact word) her. Maybe Coulson himself was converted at some earlier moment.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

Dunno what exactly Izel is. Can she raise the dead? Or clone beings? The obvious other thing is Sarge may be Coulson from a different universe in the multiverse, thus lived an entirely different life ... and somehow Izel brought him here. Or something else?

What is her connection to the Monoliths? Why is she looking for them?

She said something to the effect that she knows why Sarge is missing some memories ... which would mean ... he's missing some memories ... :D

Clearly they will tease this out for a lot more of the season.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:52 pm 
Policy Wonk

Too many teasers. Agents is becoming more of a serial than a series. Ugh.