RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

Off the Beaten Path I was traveling on Silva road northbound, and at the correction line jog I noticed a new roadside shrine. It wasn't anyone I knew, but it marks the place of death of another neighbor.

I looked it up:

Man dies after wreck early Sunday on Silva
http://www.mariposagazette.com/news/201 ... Silva.html

If you are interested the details, they are there. But I didn't start this thread to talk about those details.

During my life, and much of that life being rural, I have noticed that many of the automobile accident deaths on county roads, occur at those north south survey correction line jogs in the road.

The road is straight, then all of a sudden it jogs to the left or to the right for a few feet, then proceeds on in a straight line. These corrections occur at least every 24 miles. And they are located all over the US.

It's Thomas Jefferson's fault:

"Originally proposed by Thomas Jefferson to create a nation of "yeoman farmers", the PLSS began shortly after the American Revolutionary War, when the federal government became responsible for large areas of land west of the original thirteen states. The government wished both to distribute land to Revolutionary War soldiers in reward for their services, as well as to sell land as a way of raising money for the nation. Before this could happen, the land needed to be surveyed."

The PLSS refers to Public Land Survey System: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Land_Survey_System

Quote:
Because the survey design is two-dimensional (rectangular), while the actual earth is three-dimensional (~ spherical), adjustments to land areas must be made periodically to prevent error propagation; not all sections can be one square mile nor can all townships be exactly 36 square miles. More specifically, all north-south running lines (all range lines and half of all section lines), as with the prime meridian, are always established with reference to true, geodetic north. But it is a physical impossibility to meet this condition and still maintain a rectangular land grid, because such lines converge on the north pole—they are meridians.

These adjustments are done at two different scales. At the small scale (within a township) it is done by starting the sectional surveys (township "subdivisions") in the southeast corner and moving progressively toward the northwest corner. The algorithm used is to move northward to establish the six eastern-most sections (and quarter-sections), then move west at one mile intervals, parallel to the eastern boundary of the township, repeating this process, until the western side of the township is reached. The result of this is that the northernmost and westernmost tiers of sections—11 in all—are thus allowed to deviate from one square mile, but the other (southeasterly-most) 25 sections are not. This method accommodates the curvature problem within a township, and it also allows for any errors made during the surveying itself—which were nearly unavoidable due to the physical difficulty of the work and the crude equipment used—without overly compromising the basic rectangular nature of the system as a whole. At the larger multiple township scale, the standard parallels mentioned above allow a longitudinal re-setting of township corner locations, so that townships widths do not continually decrease as one proceeds north (and is in fact the primary reason for their establishment). Thus, corrections for curvature of the earth exist at two separate spatial scales—a smaller scale within townships, and a larger scale between multiple townships and within standard parallels."

It is the larger scale corrections between multiple townships which when roads are laid out on these standard parallel lines that cause these jogs in the road every 24 miles, in some cases in 12 mile or 6 or mile intervals. A township is 6 x 6 miles.

The jog in the road on Silvia has seen at least two deaths. There is the old shrine, and now the new one there.

Where I grew up there was one nasty jog that accumulated three accidents four dead, one of them was a second cousin.

All in all I would say a quarter to a third of the roadway deaths I'm personally aware of have occurred at these correction line jogs.

That is in no way suggesting that overall, across America that quarter to a third of the roadway deaths occur in these spots. Most people don't live in rural setting and drive the number of miles I do on county roads. However I am trying to convey that it is significant cause of death in rural America.

If you clicked on that story link about the local death in my area you wouldn't find in the story that it happened at one of these correction line jogs. I tried looking up how many deaths occur at these jogs and found that police accident reports more often than not do not flag that detail, that an accident occurred at a correction jog. The national classification systems used to track accidents do not single out this factor.

So I wonder how many have died? I've thought back reaching for every memory I can access and I think I know of over twenty jogs in the road where people have died because of these survey line jogs. Spread out over Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Montana and California.

Is this a significant cause of death of persons no one has noticed before?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

Off the Beaten Path I was traveling on Silva road northbound, and at the correction line jog I noticed a new roadside shrine. It wasn't anyone I knew, but it marks the place of death of another neighbor.

I looked it up:

Man dies after wreck early Sunday on Silva
http://www.mariposagazette.com/news/201 ... Silva.html

Goin's Way?

The cause of death in this accident was impaired perception, judgement, and reflexes due to being drunk, not the jog in the road.

Back roads can be treacherous, even when one is stone-cold sober and totally alert to the driving conditions.

I really enjoy taking the back roads, and here on the West Coast seems like there are many odd jogs in their paths that are totally unrelated to PLSS survey results.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:42 pm 
Policy Wonk

ShineOn wrote:

Goin's Way?

The cause of death in this accident was impaired perception, judgement, and reflexes due to being drunk, not the jog in the road.

Back roads can be treacherous, even when one is stone-cold sober and totally alert to the driving conditions.

I really enjoy taking the back roads, and here on the West Coast seems like there are many odd jogs in their paths that are totally unrelated to PLSS survey results.

yea your not kidding about back road treachery just wait till self driving cars are introduced too soon without working that out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

Goin's Way?

Goin's Way in one direction is the turn off to the old closed Middle School. In the other direction it goes to two houses after crossing on the dam of a small pond. Back when the school was open there was a 25 MPH speed limit in that spot, now people like to go 50 MPH sometimes more.

I don't know if you noticed it, two of the man's relatives wrote in the comments section to say he wasn't drunk, this is the second of those comments:

"My brother was not drunk or drinking when this happened. We are going through enough pain, that we do not need any one saying false statements about our loved one who is gone to early. His blood work has already came back and there was no alcohol in his system. If you are going to write something about something so tragic or anything else for that matter you should get your facts straight."

Our other local paper doesn't include the part about alcohol being a factor in their article:

https://sierranewsonline.com/fatal-cras ... sa-county/

These jogs are located where people are traveling in a straight line, and are expecting to continue to travel straight. In order to fit them into the boundaries they are often fairly sharp turns. Normal curves on a curvy road are a different matter.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

yea your not kidding about back road treachery just wait till self driving cars are introduced too soon without working that out.

I was kind of thinking self driving cars might handle those jogs better than people. The jogs show up on maps, and a self driving car program will be following a map every trip. A digital map will have attribute nodes placed on sections of roadway with recommended speed advisory and data on the location and degree of the curves. The self driving program will not ever be taken by surprise when one of these jogs come up.

With distractions that sometimes come up I've had these jogs surprise me even when I've driven the road for years. Warning signs after a person has seen them in the same spot for years start being visually ignored too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

across the west i dont know what 'jog' youre talking about.

the only road jog ive ever encountered that i recall is the one in west slope speedTrapCO
where the mormons fought with the normal folks over the design of the then new
town bypass highway(of about 5miles). what the town ended up with is a 2lane on one
side coming to a light with a right turn lane you HAVE TO JERK TO THE RIGHT to get inside
the lines to stop at the light for a right turn without running into the vehicles that are Not taking the right turn lane.

yeh what a clusterfuck for traffic and no one has been able to make it better since it was done.
thats the passive aggressive side of sharing a town with morons, er mormons.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:24 am 
Board Emeritus

Goin's Way in one direction is the turn off to the old closed Middle School. In the other direction it goes to two houses after crossing on the dam of a small pond. Back when the school was open there was a 25 MPH speed limit in that spot, now people like to go 50 MPH sometimes more.

I don't know if you noticed it, two of the man's relatives wrote in the comments section to say he wasn't drunk, this is the second of those comments:

"My brother was not drunk or drinking when this happened. We are going through enough pain, that we do not need any one saying false statements about our loved one who is gone to early. His blood work has already came back and there was no alcohol in his system. If you are going to write something about something so tragic or anything else for that matter you should get your facts straight."

Our other local paper doesn't include the part about alcohol being a factor in their article:

https://sierranewsonline.com/fatal-cras ... sa-county/

These jogs are located where people are traveling in a straight line, and are expecting to continue to travel straight. In order to fit them into the boundaries they are often fairly sharp turns. Normal curves on a curvy road are a different matter.

Strange CHP report: said the car was traveling west-bound on Silva Road. The only truly east-west section of that road is just a bit north of Goin's Way.

When you said "jog in the road," the location that stood out was up the road a piece at the intersection with Cole Road. (Of course, that's a north-bound portion of Silva Road and it looks to be more of a dirt road in that location than a paved highway.)

Anyway, all along that path, and really egregious in some locations, are sudden reductions in the radius of the curve. Those reductions tend to be annoying, but they should be accounted for in the speed limit signs. That particular signage around here is pretty wonderfully accurate in telling me what to expect around the next set of turns.

Why wasn't Mr Lawrence wearing his seat belt?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Minus an overlay of townships and ranges, I can't find much. I wonder where you'd go for this.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:48 am 
Board Emeritus

I was born and raised in Kansas. We don't really have such "corrections" there - roads are straight. Nothing to stop them. My home town is a grid except for the river that goes through town. If you know the major roads every mile, north/south and east/west, you cannot get lost.

But like most people that grew up in flyover country, I have lost friends and family in rural road car accidents. One of my first girlfriends died at 19 a mile from her home. I lost a cousin, and it devastated our family.