It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: WTF TIME IS IT???
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

are you kidding me....6pm and its more physically like 9PM....WTF. :shock:

this time this sun this day vs nite shit is NOT HEALTHY.

makes humans MISERABLE til AFTER THE WINTER SOLSTICE..we gain DAYLIGHT about
the late 17th Dec and by the 19thDEC we ARE MOVING TOWARDS THE FUCKING SUN AGAIN.

everyone is in better mood by early January...its not becuz jaysus Bday is over its becuz
the fucking days are longer by the minutes, the planet has begun to rise again.

yeh, jaysus didnt have shit to do with this.

in WA i kept a weed dual spectrum grow light on til about 7pm EVERY DAY for 5mos.
otherwise i NEVER saw the sun til APRIL.

this time change SHIT is UNHEALTHY.

Post subject: Re: WTF TIME IS IT???
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

That's why we have the holidays - so people don't get depressed moving into deep winter. Woo hoo! Santa! Gifts! Food! Super Bowl!

All distractions when otherwise we'd realize it's going to be 20 below!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

the only reason "they" keep this nonsense up is making human spend MORE money when its
dark going home than they would when the sun would still be lighting the skies On the way home.

once, it was SPPSD to be about farming...giving the farmers more light in the mornings so they
could slave Earlier all thru winter.

this sudden change of daylight fucks kids up big time.

there is NO reason for this other than..get them shopping early buying that coffee that
shit from the fast shit stand.
buying crap on the way home AT NITE IN THE DARK...for some sense of warmth or comfort.

marketing people have the human "number" down. never doubt that.

yeh farmers HATE this shit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

People do seem to miss the sun in the afternoon. November is when you really notice it.

It's not very well known, but actually the earliest sunset in the U.S. is NOT on the solstice. It usually comes around December 5. In other words, about a week from now. The earth's orbit isn't circular, it's slightly elliptical, and things get out of phase. The solstice is the shortest day, but not the earliest sunset or the latest sunrise. That second one is sometime around New Year's.

You'll notice the later sunsets in a few more weeks, even though the days are actually shorter.

The L.A. sunset right now is around 4:45 PM. That's about as early as it ever gets. It'll be back closer to 5 by the end of the year.

The problem with year-round daylight saving time is that many places would have the sun rising at 8 AM. That's kind of dangerous, with people going to work and school. Schools get out at 3 or so, so it's less of a problem in the afternoon.

The main problem with DST right now is that you run out of daylight to save. Rational countries change it closer to the equinoxes. Here, it is governed by commerce. Really. One of the adjustments was to sell charcoal.

Until relatively recently, one task of religion was to provide a cosmology, and yes, most synced to the cycle of the seasons. Most of the Christian holidays appropriated Pagan festivals. Halloween = Samhain, Christmas = Yule or Saturnalia, Easter is tied to the spring equinox, etc.

Last edited by ZoWie on Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:45 pm 

you could try grow light bulbs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:17 am 
Board Emeritus

This is a nasty time of year. My SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) is ramping up. The sun is setting at 4 and it's dark by 6.

Hurry up spring.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

When the sun rises and set really doesn't bother me since I get up well after sunrise. As for sunset, I don't notice it because I usually close the curtain in the living room in mid-to-late afternoon because the sun's rays are too bright. I can see how the DST can affect people especially those who work. You notice the one hour difference when DST takes effect and I'd say it's more "mental" than physical.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah the spring DST transition is rough for some reason. The fall one wouldn't be so bad if it came closer to the equinox, but they keep extending it for various reasons. By November, there's no way to fall back without it suddenly making a big difference.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

This is a nasty time of year. My SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) is ramping up. The sun is setting at 4 and it's dark by 6.

Hurry up spring.

yeh zat, where i was up there the sun never rose and it was Dark by 3pm.
i didnt see the sun until mid april when it broke thru about noon and gone again by 3pm.
but at least i knew it was still in the sky.

so so so so so D3 deficient i became up there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

When the sun rises and set really doesn't bother me since I get up well after sunrise. As for sunset, I don't notice it because I usually close the curtain in the living room in mid-to-late afternoon because the sun's rays are too bright. I can see how the DST can affect people especially those who work. You notice the one hour difference when DST takes effect and I'd say it's more "mental" than physical.

:rw) :rw) :rw) :rw)

you spoil't spoiled brat!!!!...YOU LIVE IN FUCKING SDIEGO WHERE THE WEATHER NEVER CHANGES.
it barely get darks there even in summer.

man, brat!!!!! shutup!!!! :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

you could try grow light bulbs.

yah did that in WA for 5mos year.

from about 5-7pm now i use a simple 'blue bulb' which are dual spectrum.

its good to remember to turn these 'sun light' bulbs off about 7pm or you can be up awake
for far too long.
growers working under these dual spectrum lights...must have a hard time sleeping.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

:rw) :rw) :rw) :rw)

you spoil't spoiled brat!!!!...YOU LIVE IN FUCKING SDIEGO WHERE THE WEATHER NEVER CHANGES.
it barely get darks there even in summer.

man, brat!!!!! shutup!!!! :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw)

It's a rough life here but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. ;) It's a 10-minute walk to the bay or the beach and most of the year I can wear shorts and a tee shirt.

BTW, it does get dark here but being next to a large city we get a lot of reflected light from the city. When it's overcast, the city lights up the underside of the clouds giving the sky a light appearance.

For those not fortunate to live in the San Diego area, sorry but this is almost like heaven.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

I notice that in NYC the current sunset time is 4:29 PM, but in L.A. it's 4:45. Friends in Germany are bitching that the sun barely comes up at all, and of course there are parts of Norway where it really doesn't.

I would imagine, though, that except for Norway, this is about as early is it's going to get. Maybe a couple more minutes, max.

I don't mind it in L.A.. Thanks to climate change, it's always so damn hot in this forsaken little desert basin. Sea breezes barely exist more than a mile from the ocean. That's not a problem for San Diego, at least not the harbor part. Here, there's always some excuse for the atmosphere to put a high pressure system right where it guarantees that the sun shines every day and the wind comes off the mountains and heats it up even more. (Laws of physics.)

Darkness is like a recharge in this hellhole. I realize that I would not be saying this pretty much anywhere else in the Northern Hemisphere above the tropics.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:26 am 
Board Emeritus

ok, the worst seems over, also using a blue light from 5pm to 7pm helps. :whew:

now im sliding into gaining daylight and the winter solstice. :party:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:52 am 
Policy Wonk

not really happy with what time it is. thinking about moving the clock ahead 1 hour not this sunday but the one after it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:13 am 
Board Emeritus

Daylight savings time starts on Sunday, March 11th. Spring forward.

Most of my devices with clocks in them adjust for daylight savings automatically. I rarely fret. I just have to remember to also adjust the clocks like the old school alarm clock I have or in my microwave.

I usually do it the next day when I notice, and remember, those don't match the other clocks around. :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

Prof, try going three time zones back and forth, like I just did. That's fun! [/sarcasm]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:25 pm 
Policy Wonk

Prof, try going three time zones back and forth, like I just did. That's fun! [/sarcasm]

That reminds me of my time in the navy, back in the 60s. On our cruises to WESTPAC, and six months later back to San Diego, every couple days we'd enter a new time zone, and have to reset our watches and all the ship's clocks. They (the Captain, I presume) arranged it so that both ways, the change would occur in such a way that we'd lose an hour's sleep every night. The effect was to make us just a little less sharp, and quite a bit more irritable.

I think I once read that in China, they only have one time zone...seems to make a lot more sense.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

Asian time zones don't make a lot of sense. China does have only one time zone. If it followed meridian lines, it would be more like the way the contiguous US is. Then of course down south you have a different time on the same latitude in Korea, and in fact the North is set on the half hour while the South is on the hour. Presumably once again, North Korea is just being contrary.

China's setup might be convenient for commerce maybe, but if you're talking about WTF time is it, that would be pretty dizzy in a country like here where the population is so spread out. The middle would usually be OK, but both coasts would always be off from what the sun is doing. I would imagine that would play havoc with the body clock, and the US would be an even harder country to live in than it is already.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

WTF TIME IS IT???

It's 3:36 pm San Diego (PST) time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

They're about to change the frickkin time again. It's TOO DAMN EARLY. It's still bloody WINTER, for Chrissake.

At least wait until the equinox, or better yet, work it out so the whole world shifts in/out on the same date. The first Sunday after the equinoxes sounds good to me.

Best of all: don't do it at all. It was invented for the industrial age, when everyone went to work and came home at pretty much the same times, and we're past that. The US extended it until it's practically the winter solstice so people could work later on the farm. Uhhh... I think we're past that too. Anyway, can't you get tractors with headlights now? That leaves retailers and the leisure industry..... the corporations.

Grump.

---

I'm getting over a nasty virus, and the last thing I wanna do is hose my body clock for a week. Grump.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:35 am 
Board Emeritus

You know what? I've been watching this for years. The older a person gets, the more these time changes bother them.

People in their twenties and thirties don't tend to bitch about this.

I've got it beat, tomorrow the cocks in my cars and pickup will read the same time other peoples clocks read. Of the two kinds of time I chose to go with daylight time and I stick with it year around.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:54 am 
Board Emeritus

That reminds me of my time in the navy, back in the 60s. On our cruises to WESTPAC, and six months later back to San Diego, every couple days we'd enter a new time zone, and have to reset our watches and all the ship's clocks. They (the Captain, I presume) arranged it so that both ways, the change would occur in such a way that we'd lose an hour's sleep every night. The effect was to make us just a little less sharp, and quite a bit more irritable.

I think I once read that in China, they only have one time zone...seems to make a lot more sense.

When I was in Alaska we ignored two of the time zones out of the four because that far north sometimes we could pass though a couple of them in a day. All of mainland Alaska is UTC -9 and most of the Aleutian Islands are UTC -10. Without doing this Alaska would span from UTC -8 to UTC -11.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

Could be age, could be disgust with the process as it stands now. We do not need to shift into DST when it's still snowing outside. We do not need to wait until November to shift out. By then, there is no daylight to save. Either the sun's going to rise too late, or set too early. That is the geometry of the Earth's orbit in temperate latitudes.

Mostly, as long as we're serving commerce first and human needs second, we need to have one global date when everyone who's going to bother with DST shifts in and everyone who did bother with it shifts out. Obviously, this is reciprocal in the southern hemisphere. The problem in equatorial latitudes does not exist, because DST doesn't work there anyway. Their longest days are on or around the equinoxes.

Right now it's a hodegepodge, and confusing. Not to mention how complicated it makes global timekeeping. I know, there's always UTC, but UTC offsets shift on different days, some pretty widely separated. Not good.

In general, one look at time zone maps gives one an idea of what a patchwork the current zones are. They rarely correspond to the longitude lines, and there are a lot of countries which for whatever reason just went on their merry way. This includes half hour offsets (Canada and Australia), and regions that decide to have their own damn time just because it makes them feel sovereign or something.

The problem in the high latitudes is obvious, and I can see why they'd want to diverge. Indeed, on a long trip you'd be changing every couple of hours. Then there's always Antarctica.........

Of course, the usual people will think this idea is some kind of globalist commie Jewish Knights Templars conspiracy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:27 am 
Policy Wonk

when I went to San Francisco it was like daylight savings times 3, those people watch saturday night live at like 8:30 pm, I dont know anyone in the midwest that does that.