RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:21 am 

got something for you there too btw. Seeker's beautiful image stopped me. you... spankings are in order.... anyway... here:

Attachments:
flatearth.jpg
flatearth.jpg [ 138.05 KiB | Viewed 207 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

That IS a great movie. The first space flick? Dunno.

Disney was something of a Nazi, or at least had some leanings in that general direction.

"Tomorrowland" at Disneyland, sorry, Disney Resort, is the best reflection of the corporate future. The peoplemover didn't work and they replaced it with electric cars that didn't work either. Now it's a track with nothing on it. The most popular ride is one where you drive little cars, never fast enough, on a little road with a deliberately poorly maintained stretch. The engines smell like 2-strokes and pollute like anything. Another popular one is a submarine that doesn't go under water, and used to be more fun.

I'd say they have the corporate future nailed.

---------

The Dymaxion Map rocks. Yes it is geodesic. Null geodesics are real big in physics, but that's not my degree.

Indeed the problem with Mercator maps was/is that they were meant for ships. A lot of what we use for geodesy and timekeeping comes from that era, when yes, European empires were getting it together and needed better navigation. Mercator, IIRC, was a pseudonym of a Dutch map maker, and the name always seemed to suggest merchant shipping to me.

The biggest problem (or feature, if you're a European monarch) is the distortion of the poles. Yes, it makes Europe look huge, ditto Canada (British Commonwealth). Greenland is bigger than South America. But you know that. I'm sure that was just fine with the Europeans at the time, even though anyone who made it through university knew it was bogus.

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

I really wonder how many Flat Earthers have looked through a telescope at other planets.

Is the Moon really just a flat disc in the sky? The sun?

of course, all the stuff in space, out there, are flat. space is full of frisbee discs.
imagine if they slice thru something...wow.

when johnGlenn orbited the moon he didnt say anything about the flatness so, that is a "conspiracy" toooo. !!!
since there are about, what, 20MAX humans who have orbited a diff planetary 'star' id go with
their impressions.
or, i could go with nit wit pale people whove never been anywhere ever.

hmmmm.. what do do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

"Tomorrowland" at Disneyland, sorry, Disney Resort, is the best reflection of the corporate future.

Yeah. Now, I just recently saw (on teevee) the movie, with George Clooney.

Such a weird film. Essentially, the bad guys are those who I guess are pessimists about tomorrow. But it's even weirder. Tomorrowland is kind of like this place in another dimension, or the future - this doesn't seem to be clear and kind of reminds me of Gallifrey :D - anyway, they appear to periodically kidnap all the creative techie types from our world to bring them there, because, somehow, this is a good idea. Clooney was a kidnapee who they kicked out decades ago so now he, an android girl, and a human girl are trying to get back. This involves a secret room in the Eiffel Tower.

Anyway, there's some kind of tachyon device which they're using to try and get people to change their ways and prevent the world's end - except it's turned into a self-fulfilling prophecy and bringing about the dystopian end of the world it was built to prevent. Anyway, that is also confusing, but of course, at the end, Clooney & team destroy it. Happy ending.

So ... is it really a 90 minute promo for the theme park? Is it also more propaganda for the idea that everything will eventually have a techno fix if we just let corporations build the right future? Anybody who doesn't share this vision are the bad guys -- apparently.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

i saw tomorrowland too. i was missing the point--i dnnit know a thing about the disney aspect---the
point at the end seemed to me to be...to encourage the kids. who oft times are way smarter nowadays
than the parental units. ever will be.

thats all it meant to me. encourage the kids.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

Someone needs to encourage the kids. This culture as a whole doesn't do a very good job of that.

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"