RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

What is so funny, prof, rain, Zowie, plunderer, Sam, is what we SHOULD be talking about and supporting financially and otherwise are these kinds of things

Quote:
950-Mile-Long Cloud Spotted Over Martian Volcano. And It Has Staying Power.

Fascinating.

Instead we have to focus our attention on a complete and total moron. Someone here asked me not to use that word unless on a diagnosed person with that actual condition as it is a condition, and I have honored that request for a very long time and this ONE time only I am going to use the word,

Quote:
Moron is a term once used in psychology and psychiatry to denote mild intellectual disability.[1] The term was closely tied with the American eugenics movement.[2] Once the term became popularized, it fell out of use by the psychological community, as it was used more commonly as an insult than as a psychological term. It is similar to imbecile and idiot.

I dont know what else to call him, rump. He clearly has a very low IQ and he may destroy the human race because our media wont call him a liar and because board cons and others wont stop supporting him thru either overt or passive behavour.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

What is so funny, prof, rain, Zowie, plunderer, Sam, is what we SHOULD be talking about and supporting financially and otherwise are these kinds of things.

Now we agree. :D

Remember on a page previous I was talking about light and mars and the next to no magnetic field. There are particles suspended in that atmosphere which filter light.

Research up close and personal with that atmosphere might yield something we could use for global warming, and or ozone depletion. It would be pretty neat to be able to suspend fine particles and control where they are such that they stay up in our ionosphere above most of the greenhouse effect.

What if we were able to obtained the kind of control of the ionosphere we currently have over a liquid-crystal display. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

That's the thing about doing pure science.

There's the stuff you want to find out - then the things you find out which you weren't even looking for. That could become applied.

I don't know if studying Mars will help with terrestrial climate change; but again, I suspect we don't know yet what we could yet learn. :D

I would say if the surface was covered with water at one point, and obviously is not now, finding out how/why that happened could end up being really useful.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

Now we agree. :D

Remember on a page previous I was talking about light and mars and the next to no magnetic field. There are particles suspended in that atmosphere which filter light.

Research up close and personal with that atmosphere might yield something we could use for global warming, and or ozone depletion. It would be pretty neat to be able to suspend fine particles and control where they are such that they stay up in our ionosphere above most of the greenhouse effect.

What if we were able to obtained the kind of control of the ionosphere we currently have over a liquid-crystal display. :)

Yeah, what if, but as long as ANYBODY even remotely supports or passively allows the shit going on in DC and elsewhere, the racism, the stupidity, as long as that is going on to this degree we will resolve little if anything and time is running out.

I mean shit, even if America became carbon etc neutral tomorrow or whatever the term is for NOT producing ANY, we still would have a huge problem because this is a big place, isnt it, with a lot of polluters.

And as long as ONE of us is doing ANYTHING to overtly or passively support people like rump or most GOP at this point, we are going backwards not forwards. All these issues of racism, antisemitism, homophobia and the rest really cant be issues because what will kill us ALL is the issue we should be resolving. I dont know if I said that right but I think you all know what I mean.

As in they should not be issues anymore, they should be resolved so we can resolve the ONE issue that will kill us all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

It was good while it lasted. :|

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:07 pm 
Policy Wonk

What is so funny, prof, rain, Zowie, plunderer, Sam, is what we SHOULD be talking about and supporting financially and otherwise are these kinds of things

Fascinating.

Instead we have to focus our attention on a complete and total moron. Someone here asked me not to use that word unless on a diagnosed person with that actual condition as it is a condition, and I have honored that request for a very long time and this ONE time only I am going to use the word,

I dont know what else to call him, rump. He clearly has a very low IQ and he may destroy the human race because our media wont call him a liar and because board cons and others wont stop supporting him thru either overt or passive behavour.

looks like its leaking

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

srsly, how does this withstand the Winds of mars...
ohgoodie another PBS image that wont transfer.
opps it showed for a second then went away.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtCilvdU8AA7JBA.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

there are a number of nasa Insight etc sites now and i cant tell or see which if any will manage all the images.
they seem to be using utube for..idk what.

images. some images, guessing there will be more. i read InSight is taking a break a nap.
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/insi ... index.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

Mars has high winds, but the air is very thin. Presumably, the solar panels are up to it. Usually the bigger problem is dust, which collects on everything and gradually lowers the power available from the solar cells.

I notice that InSight has a calibration target. I forgot to mention that the other Mars photos always had b/w separations of similar targets, in each of the various filtered lights being recorded. The ones on the rovers are much more elaborate, and you can definitely use them to get the channel balance right in Photoshop. They even have a reference white that you can use to calibrate to how much dust has settled on the target. If you worked with chip charts as long as I did, it's a snap.

NASA has fancier software, but in a pinch, once again Photoshop comes through.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

srsly, how does this withstand the Winds of mars...
ohgoodie another PBS image that wont transfer.
opps it showed for a second then went away.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtCilvdU8AA7JBA.jpg

The amount of air on Mars is about 1% that of the Earth's and about the highest speed the wind gets is around 60 mph. Now, 60 mph is a lot but on Earth most man-made objects can easily survive that so it's not surprising the Mars landers can survive those wind speeds as well. Mars is under constant surveillance and NASA can predict, with good certainty, when a storm will hit so they can send a signal to the lander to retract the solar panels so the lander doesn't get blown over.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

The amount of air on Mars is about 1% that of the Earth's and about the highest speed the wind gets is around 60 mph. Now, 60 mph is a lot but on Earth most man-made objects can easily survive that so it's not surprising the Mars landers can survive those wind speeds as well. Mars is under constant surveillance and NASA can predict, with good certainty, when a storm will hit so they can send a signal to the lander to retract the solar panels so the lander doesn't get blown over.

so they landed this one in a sandy area?
in the martian movie the rocks were flying during that sudden much larger storm.
thats what id think too, that shit would be flying. we have winds here that send shit flying.

maybe that.InSight is way heavier than i imagine or that it looks. i didnt see much rock
escarpment anywhere near this landing. just flat barren dirt.
ill take lot #4.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:26 am 
Site Admin

That's a nice insight you made about being sucked in that you made from my metaphor. It's spot on.

For that class how do you address calculus?

I once had a chemistry professor for quantitative analysis who had the most outstanding textbook/lecture notes, it was handwritten. He copied it off at kinkos and charged us each only for the printing costs. In class he insisted that he'd already written the notes, "put away you pens and paper, watch and listen," he said. Some students couldn't help themselves so he would say that fairly often.

In it he handled dealing with acid base calculations with a strict methodology which dealt with those times when the quadratic equation was needed. And when it was needed his methodology dealt with plugging it in.

I've often thought that could work for bootstrapping past the calculus needed for students who have not, nor will, study calculus to go along with the Physics.

I have no good textbook recommendations. I had Chris Zafiratos for freshman Physics at CU, his textbook was not one I would recommend for generating enthusiasm, although it wasn't bad.

I do a similar thing, but technology has caught up with us. I post all my lecture notes online and tell them to put their pens away.

As for a decent text, take a look at openstax.org. It has a ton of open source textbooks that are fairly decent (on many subjects). For hardcopies, I have my personal preferences, but I'm stuck with what our system dictates.

-P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:29 am 
Site Admin

Fascinating.

I agree on all your points.

-P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

Rocks flying on Mars? Very cinematic, but I don't know if the air is thick enough to pick them up. The Martian gravity is 38% of Earth, so they weigh less, but the air pressure is only 1% max, and besides, the air weighs less too. The air does have some nice big molecules in it, but still, there just aren't very many of them.

Mars just doesn't hold onto air very well. It lost its magnetic field (dynamo cooled and stopped?). Martian escape velocity is lower. The solar wind comes right through what passes for an ionosphere, and pushes your occasional molecules off into space.

What the air does pick up, very nicely, is dust. The dust storms make the haboobs in Phoenix look like nothing. We just had one that covered most of the planet, and that's not the first time. The rest of the time, the dust has a lot to do with the sky color.

When asteroids hit the planet, as they often do, it's possible for small fragments to de-orbit and fall into the sun's gravity well. We have a few of these. They fell to Earth, you might say.

I like Mars. It's just enough like Earth to be comprehensible, but different enough to be interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

Rocks flying on Mars? Very cinematic, but I don't know if the air is thick enough to pick them up. The Martian gravity is 38% of Earth, so they weigh less, but the air pressure is only 1% max, and besides, the air weighs less too. The air does have some nice big molecules in it, but still, there just aren't very many of them.

Mars just doesn't hold onto air very well. It lost its magnetic field (dynamo cooled and stopped?). Martian escape velocity is lower. The solar wind comes right through what passes for an ionosphere, and pushes your occasional molecules off into space.

What the air does pick up, very nicely, is dust. The dust storms make the haboobs in Phoenix look like nothing. We just had one that covered most of the planet, and that's not the first time. The rest of the time, the dust has a lot to do with the sky color.

When asteroids hit the planet, as they often do, it's possible for small fragments to de-orbit and fall into the sun's gravity well. We have a few of these. They fell to Earth, you might say.

I like Mars. It's just enough like Earth to be comprehensible, but different enough to be interesting.

I agree with your point the Martian air isn't sufficient enough to pick up rocks but can pick up the fine dust. The only way for rocks to be "flying" is if there is some outside force, like an Earth lander or a meteor, hitting the surface.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

Quite a few of our Mars landers have definitely met the ground in a less than successful manner, undoubtedly throwing some dust and rocks around, along with the rather expensive junk thus produced.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

The InSight successfully picked up its seismometer and planted it on the ground. It's the first time that a spacecraft has picked something up and put it on the surface, as opposed to landing a rover inside a capsule and then driving it off.

There's a recording making the rounds of Martian air hitting the solar panels. The pitch has been raised to make it audible at all. You'll still need a subwoofer to really get it right. Then you hear the wind on Mars, sort of.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

The InSight successfully picked up its seismometer and planted it on the ground. It's the first time that a spacecraft has picked something up and put it on the surface, as opposed to landing a rover inside a capsule and then driving it off.

There's a recording making the rounds of Martian air hitting the solar panels. The pitch has been raised to make it audible at all. You'll still need a subwoofer to really get it right. Then you hear the wind on Mars, sort of.

Wow, and to think if the teaparty was in charge we wouldnt even have the wheel yet.

Where can I see or hear this?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com