It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: the Solstice...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

the dark days are coming to a close.
i cant stand this time of year. i avoid Dec for a variety of reasons.

at this time...we are about 23days..make it 22 for those who can see the time change
on tv...until we begin to Gain Daylight. dec 21 winter begins which means winter is
on the wane. getting shorter each day.

man i know why they celebrated at stone henge as the days became longer.
im ready to party now that Dec countdown is about to begin. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: the Solstice...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

winter makes me extremely depressed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

winter makes me extremely depressed

my worst time is as its coming on. fall is pretty weather is often nice and fun and im
ok until...daylight saving time.

i then cash in the chips and move under ground and become a mole person til dec 21.
by jan 1 im way better.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:38 am 
Board Emeritus

the dark days are coming to a close.
i cant stand this time of year. i avoid Dec for a variety of reasons.

at this time...we are about 23days..make it 22 for those who can see the time change
on tv...until we begin to Gain Daylight. dec 21 winter begins which means winter is
on the wane. getting shorter each day.

man i know why they celebrated at stone henge as the days became longer.
im ready to party now that Dec countdown is about to begin. :mrgreen:

Trying to avoid any month is guaranteed to fail. December, January, and part of February are a bit of a downer compared to the other months mainly because of cloudy, rain, colder weather and less sunlight. It means I have to stop wearing shorts and t-shirts and Hawaiian shirts and for a couple of months. The only bright side is the climate where I live is moderate and tolerable compared to the Northeast and Northwest. I've live in parts of the country, in Europe, and South Korea where the winters are freezing, snowy, wet, and depressing and I don't miss it one bit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:39 am 
Board Emeritus

December 25th was in the Roman Empire the feast of Sol Invictus, the Unconquered Sun. Celebrated to note, after the winter solstice, the occasion of days growing longer.

Feast of Sol Invictus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas#Solstice_date

December 25 was the date of the winter solstice on the Roman calendar.[51][52] Jesus chose to be born on the shortest day of the year for symbolic reasons, according to an early Christmas sermon by Augustine: "Hence it is that He was born on the day which is the shortest in our earthly reckoning and from which subsequent days begin to increase in length. He, therefore, who bent low and lifted us up chose the shortest day, yet the one whence light begins to increase."[53]

Linking Jesus to the Sun was supported by various Biblical passages. Jesus was considered to be the "Sun of righteousness" prophesied by Malachi: "Unto you shall the sun of righteousness arise, and healing is in his wings."[54] John describes Jesus as "the light of the world."[55]

Such solar symbolism could support more than one date of birth. An anonymous work known as De Pascha Computus (243) linked the idea that creation began at the spring equinox, on March 25, with the conception or birth (the word nascor can mean either) of Jesus on March 28, the day of the creation of the sun in the Genesis account. One translation reads: "O the splendid and divine providence of the Lord, that on that day, the very day, on which the sun was made, March 28, a Wednesday, Christ should be born.[9][56]

In the 17th century, Isaac Newton argued that the date of Christmas was selected to correspond with the solstice.[57]

According to Steven Hijmans of the University of Alberta, "It is cosmic symbolism ... which inspired the Church leadership in Rome to elect the southern solstice, December 25, as the birthday of Christ, and the northern solstice as that of John the Baptist, supplemented by the equinoxes as their respective dates of conception.

[snip][end]

Smart man, that Isaac Newton.

Yule
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule

Date: winter solstice
Related to: Winter solstice (Midwinter)

Yule or Yuletide ("Yule time") is a festival observed by the historical Germanic peoples. Scholars have connected the celebration to the Wild Hunt, the god Odin, and the pagan Anglo-Saxon Mōdraniht. It later underwent Christianized reformulation resulting in the term Christmastide.

Terms with an etymological equivalent to Yule are used in the Nordic countries for Christmas with its religious rites, but also for the holidays of this season. Today Yule is also used to a lesser extent in the English-speaking world as a synonym for Christmas. Present-day Christmas customs and traditions such as the Yule log, Yule goat, Yule boar, Yule singing, and others stem from pagan Yule.

[snip][end]

We could talk about that tree.

Happy Festivus. :D

It is, of course, also purely coincidence that Easter falls around the vernal equinox. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

Trying to avoid any month is guaranteed to fail. December, January, and part of February are a bit of a downer compared to the other months mainly because of cloudy, rain, colder weather and less sunlight. It means I have to stop wearing shorts and t-shirts and Hawaiian shirts and for a couple of months. The only bright side is the climate where I live is moderate and tolerable compared to the Northeast and Northwest. I've live in parts of the country, in Europe, and South Korea where the winters are freezing, snowy, wet, and depressing and I don't miss it one bit.

Quote:
It means I have to stop wearing shorts and t-shirts and Hawaiian shirts and for a couple of months.

oh! you poor thang. spoiled brat. :rw)

i learned in WA how to 'avoid' 3 winter months. its survival.
dual spectrum lights make a huge difference. must be turned off at dinner time. :mrgreen:
their not for weed theyre spectrum of colors lights that seem like "sun"!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

the last couple days i guess im out of alignment with..a planet somewhere. the kitchen has
become a very sloppy near dangerous place. today im making a pot of potato soup for the first time.
i dont know why i never made it before, ive made all sorta soups and brews.
maybe i wasnt sppsd to make it.

i ended up having to clean about 80% of the kitchen in order to finish adding the ingredients to the crocker.
the chicken broth went flying all over half of everything in front of me. stove wall dishes counters.
cool fun, clean the kitchen so i can clean the ingredients along with Everything that ended up in the sink. :lol:
then i dropped spoons, then potatos went flying across the counter chopped.

im lucky ive still got both hands. to eat this goddamn soup later.
:rw) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:35 pm 
Policy Wonk

I get more Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) in the summer than winter. I hate it when the sun comes up and blinds me before I'm ready to get up. lol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

I get more Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) in the summer than winter. I hate it when the sun comes up and blinds me before I'm ready to get up. lol

well thats why they make mylar and...eye masks.
i always wear an eye mask. well as long as put it on before i fall asleep. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:42 pm 
Policy Wonk

well thats why they make mylar and...eye masks.
i always wear an eye mask. well as long as put it on before i fall asleep. :lol:

:rw) Yeah, I keep forgetting to get one of those.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

:rw) Yeah, I keep forgetting to get one of those.

most grocery stores in the hair makeup section. :) cheap. get two. lol.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

I actually enjoy this time of year. This is when we get the best weather, not too hot, not too cold (usually). We topped out in the mid 70's today, and I loved not having to use heat or AC in the car.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

I actually enjoy this time of year. This is when we get the best weather, not too hot, not too cold (usually). We topped out in the mid 70's today, and I loved not having to use heat or AC in the car.

hey P.
whats is like down there--youre still in LA im assuming--with all these storms?
whats the state of recovery?

nice to see you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

oh! you poor thang. spoiled brat. :rw)

i learned in WA how to 'avoid' 3 winter months. its survival.
dual spectrum lights make a huge difference. must be turned off at dinner time. :mrgreen:
their not for weed theyre spectrum of colors lights that seem like "sun"!!

Yeah, I have become spoiled with our nice year-round weather. But we do occasionally make sacrifices like yesterday and today when we had rain. I waiting for a Santa Ana to warm it up from the low 60s to the mid-70s. I'll even take a 5-degree warm-up which will allow me to go back to my shorts.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's the only time here when the place looks halfway bearable. Right around the solstice. It never fails. For three weeks or so, everything's beautiful.

Few people agree with me. Most of those who do are artists. For everyone else, yuck, it's always dark, and besides yesterday it was only 68 degrees. Eeeeew. Then comes January, and we're back to being a desert that won't admit that it's one. The wonderful warm star that gives us life once again starts its slow transition to an extraterrestrial fusion bomb that can kill you.

All is once again right with the world in warped L.A..