Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: I am a liberal.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:33 pm 
Policy Wonk

A real liberal wouldnt take sides unless on one side there were nazis.

And there are actual nazis on one side, these days.

Or if the other side were union busters, racists, etc. Wait....sides? hmm :rw)

Agree. There are sides, but I meant creating sides within the same side. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

Agree. There are sides, but I meant creating sides within the same side. :)

Yes, of course. I have to remind myself sometimes which side Sam is on :rofl:

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

First thing you learn in history is that no one thing is to blame for anything. Until when and if I know better, my yellow-vest analysis is that it was mostly economic with some populist agitation around the edges. A lot of stuff from the 2008 crash and resulting "austerity" policy is still working itself out. It took time to work the process. Greece and Spain went first, then Italy, now it's France's and Germany's turn. In the case of France, the last two presidents have talked a good game while increasing the transfer of wealth to the rich. Sound familiar?

Then, when the world perceived that the yellow people really had scared Macron, all the usual suspects saw an opportunity to weaken one of NATO's primary players.

We have ample documentation that the usual Russian agents are among the usual suspects.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

"Love me, I'm a liberal" is about liberals who made compromises over the years, and became fake liberals. Liberals of the time were fond of citing the New Deal and all those other things a bunch of dead people did, while screwing you in the butt. Take Hubert Humphrey. "I will send even more of you overseas to get racked up in a hopeless anti-commie crusade in the middle of nowhere, but love me, I'm a liberal."

He lost the election.

Real liberals did not want to throw Malcolm in jail. But at the time, that made you a radical. Just about everyone with half a brain was left of the Democratic Party faction that had appropriated the "liberal" label. That's why I'm always saying that real liberals are practically extinct. They actually aren't, but they call themselves other things. It's all word salad, though.

I've listened to him preform it on a stage and seen how folks in the audience responded, I was quite young at the time, I was with my parents sitting on a blanket in a park at a folk festive in Telluride.

I've mentioned so far that, "The lesson in the song is we do love you, you, who say you are a liberal." There is a second part to it's meaning love us back.

Why do it,,,because liberals are the nastiest people on earth.

That doesn't seem to jibe with what you took away. That's fine. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

Music is like that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

There is a second part to it's meaning love us back.

Who is "us"? I love lots of people who are not liberal. Even non-family members.

Quote:
Why do it,,,because liberals are the nastiest people on earth.

Very weird, Sam. I just got through watching DC's Elseworlds, where two of the heroes just swapped bodies.

Very odd, because it just felt like just now, you and Ike switched bodies.

Though in theory you could also be channeling the kernel, who often said the same thing. Or Timmeh. It's hard to keep track.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

Who is "us"? I love lots of people who are not liberal. Even non-family members.

Very weird, Sam. I just got through watching DC's Elseworlds, where two of the heroes just swapped bodies.

Very odd, because it just felt like just now, you and Ike switched bodies.

Though in theory you could also be channeling the kernel, who often said the same thing. Or Timmeh. It's hard to keep track.

"Us" is still the same us as it was before, those who say they are liberals, it's a warts and all thing. :)

Ed had warts, we love him anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

a) so how come you didn't get I was saying the same thing? (he had warts, but parts were not warty) ;)

and

b) if liberals are the nastiest folks on Earth ... Sam, what do you call yourself, and why do you feel that way? (Possibly about yourself.)

I'm not saying they can't be a little mean and abrasive ;) ... righteous anger sometimes bubbles that to the surface.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

Right now, people who don't bubble haven't been paying attention.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

a) so how come you didn't get I was saying the same thing? (he had warts, but parts were not warty) ;)

and

b) if liberals are the nastiest folks on Earth ... Sam, what do you call yourself, and why do you feel that way? (Possibly about yourself.)

I'm not saying they can't be a little mean and abrasive ;) ... righteous anger sometimes bubbles that to the surface.

My anti all politics friend was LIVID with us liberals when Tiger made his ridiculous comment basically saying he saw no real problem with rump. He was mad that the ADULTS in the rooms were making an issue out of it.

I suspect that is what Sam is referring to, we are the bad guys for calling out the bad guys.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

My anti all politics friend was LIVID with us liberals when Tiger made his ridiculous comment basically saying he saw no real problem with rump. He was mad that the ADULTS in the rooms were making an issue out of it.

I suspect that is what Sam is referring to, we are the bad guys for calling out the bad guys.

No, what I'm referring to are some who have been stepping down hard on the middle guys, possibly because they're in the general direction of where the bad guy is, in the way to way off in the distance, who's horrid hide will never wear their hoof prints because no one from here is actually going to get all the way to where his nasty hide is.

I wouldn't be as bad if there was some rhyme, reason, or propose to it. :|