RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

Here's something I didn't know. Mt. Everest has an overcrowding problem. This year the weather was bad, and when it finally improved enough to climb the thing, something like 300 people all went for it at once. 10 of them are dead.

There's a truly jaw-dropping photo of a line of climbers, hundreds of them, on a ridge line near the top of the really steep and scary looking mountain, all hanging onto the same rope. Some are waiting for the summit. Some are on the way back down. They're all using the same rope. There is only one. Presumably the Sherpas drive it into the rock and everyone uses it. Most of the deaths are from running out of oxygen in the long wait on the way down.

There's talk of restricting the number of climbers allowed on the mountain next year, but so far it's all talk.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

10 dying out of 300 sounds like i would be normal, perhaps even better odds than usual.

To be sure I looked it up the odds for all climbers are 1 in 61.46, so 10 dying out of 300 is worse than that not better, it's double the overall rate. It was a bad day there after all. But I found out something else while looking that up. The odds for older climbers is about 25%, the odds for youth is about about the same as that overall rate which means the climbers are almost always young. Maybe a group of older climbers were oddly included such that it shifted the numbers of older vs younger climbers to about double the rate for old ones. That would shift the death toll from 1.6% to 3.33%, which is 10 out of 300.

I feel no impulse what so ever to care about some of them dying doing that. I don't think anything needs be done about it here, there, anywhere. When it's close to home like at the park where I could if I wanted to watch them through my telescope from my bedroom window, I could see several dead a year, (I never watch them). I still feel everything about the park climbing policies are fine. No need to mess with them.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:18 pm 
Political Junkie

What a mess. One slow climber brings everyone to a halt.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

The tallest mountain in the world should not have ~50 people waiting in line to reach the summit and come back down.

They have bios on the dead climbers all over the Nooz. I think one was old, but after that I don't know.

I think the problem is that Everest became something of a bucket list item among the global 1%.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't see a problem.

Caitlin Doughty is quite unperturbed about it as well. She thinks it's a 1% bucket list thing. She also talks about the death zone. And she wants people to hang out with dead bodies more. She thinks it would be good for living people.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Last edited by Sam Lefthand on Sun May 26, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

What a mess. One slow climber brings everyone to a halt.

Looks like a line at Disneyland.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

People do this sort of thing for fun?

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

everest doenst have any fucking snow left on it.

theyre all trapped in a single line.
you slip in that line you hit Rock not snow.

that is such a bizarrely non-natural image its difficult to view it, as tho BurningMan has cometh to Mt Everest.
theres no snow at burningMan either.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

everest doenst have any fucking snow left on it.

theyre all trapped in a single line.
you slip in that line you hit Rock not snow.

that is such a bizarrely non-natural image its difficult to view it, as tho BurningMan has cometh to Mt Everest.
theres no snow at burningMan either.

Human beings are idiots.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

> theres no snow at burningMan either.

:rofl:

No, not on the flats outside Reno in early September. Nope.

----

How much snow did there used to be at the Everest summit? It's something like 29000 feet. It's where commercial jetliners fly. Oh wait, found it, there is actually a debate on whether the height of Everest should be the top of the rock or the top of the snow, which at one time was about 4 meters difference. Yup, I'm looking at old photos and there's less snow now.

Every year, the sherpas go up first and maintain one (1) one rope up that particular climbing route. If you're going up, you use that rope. If you're going down, you use that rope. If it gets crowded, you wait. Sometimes hours, apparently. Oxygen runs out and you die.

----

What disturbs me is how little snow (and ice) I saw flying over Greenland. It's gone altogether at the coasts. There, it's all bare rock now. You can see where the glaciers wore it down, but now the glaciers are gone.

This is a huge change, and in only about 10 years.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

Quote:
What disturbs me is how little snow (and ice) I saw flying over Greenland. It's gone altogether at the coasts. There, it's all bare rock now. You can see where the glaciers wore it down, but now the glaciers are gone.

This is a huge change, and in only about 10 years.

Kilimanjaro has been nearly snow free for at least 30years. why, its as if the only ones who notice
are those who farm and live along the slopes and run out of water, snow melt.

everest has been losing snow as long as kilimanjaro. no snow melt there either.

seems white folks are the only ones who dont notice these growing long term events.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Everest2019&src=tyah

images info. new pic.
http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2019/05 ... 5-overall/
Everest 2019: 3 New Deaths, Now 9 on Everest, 19 Overall---

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

:o :o :o
the rich fucks lie dead near the peak. good grief.
one pic shows a BODY lying down off the trail hanging off the mountain.
ive read in the past how bodies are lying like garbage around the tops of these big mountains.
it snows on them no one can find them, snow melts climbers see bones.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ummit.html
'Chasing a dream - and beneath our very feet was a lifeless soul': Filmmaker posts photo of Everest climbers stepping over a dead body as
they queue for the summit
on peak that has claimed 11 lives in nine days--

--'To those that lost their lives this season may their souls Rest In Peace.'
Mr Saikaly, who was filming four Arab women on the mountain on Thursday, said: 'I cannot believe what I
saw up there. Death. Carnage. Chaos. Lineups. Dead bodies on the route and in tents at camp 4.

'People who I tried to turn back who ended up dying. People being dragged down. Walking over
bodies. Everything you read in the sensational headlines all played out on our summit night.'

Elia Saikaly described the carnage at the top of Mount Everest last Thursday
He said: 'I cannot believe what I saw ... Dead bodies on the route and in tents'--
It is not known whose body is seen in the disturbing photo at 30,000 ft --
Eleven people have died in just nine days on the world's tallest peak --

The Nepalese army was drafted in to remove 22,000 lbs of rubbish and four dead bodies found in the Everest summits during a massive cleaning campaign.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

they have staff who stay behind for months after burningman to pick up Every POC humans
have left in the desert. this is the deal they made with the Rangers Feds Parks etc.

imagine having to haul trash down off Mt Everest, left by white people out for some yuks.
no matter that Everest is a sacred place to many, dump your garbage its too heavy for
You to carry cuz You are spaycial. jesus luvs U.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

By all accounts, Everest is a mess.

For years, people have talked about the bodies. As you say, some of them were covered with snow and/or ice and never found, now they are being uncovered. Others have been known about for years. They don't decay much if at all in that altitude, and every year now the climbers talk about having to prepare themselves to see them on the mountain. They can't go off on a thing of oh shit that could be me, or they'll lose it up there.

Indeed Everest seems to be something of a theme park maintained by the sherpas and the government for the bucket list fulfillment of people with far too much money and time on their hands.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

near the top no one cares about other people, they wont share wont help.
now the everyone blaming everyone else commence-eth.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/26/worl ... eaths.html
It Was Like a Zoo’: Death on an Unruly, Overcrowded Everest---

NEW DELHI — Ed Dohring, a doctor from Arizona, had dreamed his whole life of reaching the top of Mount Everest. But when he summited a few days ago, he was shocked by what he saw.

Climbers were pushing and shoving to take selfies. ...
He even had to step around the body of a woman who had just died.

...and too many inexperienced climbers, in particular.
Fly-by-night adventure companies are taking up untrained climbers who pose a risk to everyone on the mountain.
...a crowded, unruly scene reminiscent of “Lord of the Flies” — at 29,000 feet. At that altitude, there is no room for error and altruism is put to the test.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

See, it's better to just ignore it. That old rock mountain top can absorb their bodies without harm to the environment quite nicely in frozen slo mo.

Indecent to not render aid under any circumstances even, especially even though it would cause them to set aside from their status achieving goal.

It's easy to ignore folks who have hung themselves on their own petards being indecent.

Think of it as Libertarians disappearing, a natural cause, no an evil conspiracy behind it. No evil other than their indecent focus on their own goals.

I say leave good enough alone. Let that government there do as they choose.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

It does seem as if most of the bodies are simply left in place, for a variety of reasons. One can imagine a rather unpleasant situation if climbing Everest continues to be a major source of revenue for Nepal, thus causing new bodies to be added yearly.

Ideally, Everest would be one of those accomplishments that everyone thinks about, but hardly anyone does. Like landing on the moon.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

It does seem as if most of the bodies are simply left in place, for a variety of reasons. One can imagine a rather unpleasant situation if climbing Everest continues to be a major source of revenue for Nepal, thus causing new bodies to be added yearly.

Ideally, Everest would be one of those accomplishments that everyone thinks about, but hardly anyone does. Like landing on the moon.

The rather unpleasant situation which comes to my mind involves a sudden warming period which would bring about a thaw.

I long ago forgot how many astronauts we had during the moon shots, about fifteen I suppose. We lost three out of that number. By comparison to that climbing Everest is relatively safe. Although for the 65 and older set it might be about the same odds as being in the DEATH ZONE.

Buildings with a basement have a death zone too, if there's a wind still day and they have a bad enough gas leak. Freon is worse about that than natural gas for fuel. It doesn't have the skunk smell, and it doesn't blow the place up before it suffocate someone.

Below deck on any boat is a death zone as well, that comes as a fundamental aspect of it floating.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:42 pm 
Policy Wonk

Carrying a body would slow you down and that's just dangerous, you can't afford to waste oxygen carrying, uh, dead weight.

If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I want to involve a beach and doing something close to nothing.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

The three astronauts bought it during the development phase of the hardware when they did some kind of simulation with the capsule full of pure oxygen instead of ordinary air. Wires really shouldn't spark under such conditions, but alas, they did. One can say that they died as a consequence of the moon program, but everyone we actually sent into space got back.

If Everest was still for veteran climbers who had to work out new routes every time and avoid avalanches and crevasses, there would be one expedition a year max. Making it to the summit and back would be a huge achievement for anybody.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:22 pm 
Policy Wonk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

Not just oxygen. The human body in general just doesn't function well in air pressure that low past a certain amount of time. Various things start going wrong, and it can catch up with you in a hurry.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

apparently, on a diff mountain side, top, more bodies were found by chopper. i think it was 3.
these guys thot theyd find a new uncharted route to the top of this mountain.

i guess in a way they did.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

Different mountain, in India. An expedition of Americans and British, plus a guide, went missing some days back. All are likely dead. Suspected avalanche.