Hulu Hit With Lawsuit That Claims It Deliberately Throttles on Web Browsers

Need help on the board? Have a good suggestion?

Talk about it

Moderators: plunderer, Bernie the union guy

ap215
Board Emeritus

Post by ap215 »

A new lawsuit filed against Hulu claims that the streaming service intentionally throttles its speed in certain formats in an attempt to drive users to its dedicated app. According to a report by Variety, the suit argues that Hulu intentionally makes its service work slower on web browsers on computers, while encouraging subscribers to download the app instead. The suit suggests that this is because Hulu can more easily collect and sell user data from the app.

It is not clear who filed the lawsuit, but it was brought to the Los Angeles Superior Court in California on April 16. It accuses Hulu of false advertising and fraud for the claim that high-quality streaming would be available "on all your favorite devices." The plaintiff argues that Hulu is not following through on that promise for their particular favorite device. They are not the first person to level this complaint against Hulu. "Defendants prefer that users use the Hulu applications because, compared to computer browsers, applications provide more direct access to consumers' personal data during online and offline use," reads the lawsuit.

https://popculture.com/streaming/news/h ... -browsers/

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Re: Hulu Hit With Lawsuit That Claims It Deliberately Throttles on Web Browsers

Post by Libertas »

HOw do you stream Hulu without using their app? Or the website, are they saying the people who go to hulu.com on a laptop and work that way are throttled?

I use tv but i have done it this way also, not all computers or laptops have the apps as an option.
Excuse me while I use a BROAD BRUSH to say anyone who spends one minute defending anything rump is just as guilty as he is of all his crimes