Ukraine

News and events of the day
JoeMemphis

Re: Ukraine

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:58 pm Then why is the GOP working to block any investigation?
Is someone interfering with AG Garland and the DOJ?
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:38 pm Is someone interfering with AG Garland and the DOJ?
Are the interfering with Congressional investigations?
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:12 pm And yet here we are. Until such time as we have a viable alternative capable of meeting our current needs and the needs of our allies, I think it only makes sense to produce the oil and gas we require rather than being put in a position of buying those resources from our enemies. Makes no sense whatsoever.
:?

You and the rest of these conservatives and horseshoes are enemies of humanity.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

Glorious.

Neo-Tsar 2.0 just threatened Finland and Sweden, too.

Russia threatens 'military and political consequences' if Finland, Sweden try joining NATO
https://thehill.com/policy/internationa ... if-finland

Yes, Finland WAS once part of Russia. No, once again, that doesn't make this Vlad's call.

This was another indicator to me that Putin may not be the only one going bonkers in Russia.

Ukraine: Russian space chief suggests ISS could crash into US or Europe as a result of sanctions
https://www.euronews.com/next/2022/02/2 ... lt-of-sanc

Uh.... OK. Well, look, while this is reminding me of the plot to 2010 (the movie), ... the sanctions have nothing to do with ISS, the U.S. is not proposing to withdraw from the international cooperation over it, and nobody's crashing it, deliberately, anywhere ... hopefully. (Other than, hopefully, the Pacific Ocean.)
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Oh hey look. Murderous warmongering dictator loves muderous dictator. Film at 11.

Syrian president Assad backs Putin on Ukraine - Syrian presidency
https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-ea ... 022-02-25/

On the flip side of the ledger, Kazakhstan - unlike Belarus - will not provide troops or support.

Very nice. :D
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:52 pm Are the interfering with Congressional investigations?
Oh, I thought we were talking about criminal investigations by competent, independent, professional law enforcement investigators. Everybody interferes with congressional investigations. Both sides simply dismiss them as partisan witch hunts. They are mostly 5 minutes per side of self serving speeches by politicians.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:15 pm Oh, I thought we were talking about criminal investigations by competent, independent, professional law enforcement investigators. Everybody interferes with congressional investigations. Both sides simply dismiss them as partisan witch hunts. They are mostly 5 minutes per side of self serving speeches by politicians.
No they don't. Did Hillary appear before the GOP investigation into Benghazi?

And the Jan 6rh investigation is real. You don't want it investigated, do you?
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:15 pmBoth sides ...
You are the dumbest person on this board.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

It's what the right does - the old "both sides" crap. They pretend that the Dems are just the same as the nutjobs running the GOP these days. Oh, there's no difference between Bush, Obama, Trump and Biden. They pretend that Bush didn't take us to terrible wars based on lies, he wasn't caught flat-footed by the 9/11 attacks, he didn't preside over the destruction of our economy which Obama had to save. They they just want to ignore everything Trump did. Of course, Biden is the one that's "dementia-ridden".

They don't want to admit that the right wing has went crazy. They argue any side they can at the moment, even if they have to flip their views.

And the LAST thing they actually want is any public investigations.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:17 pm No they don't. Did Hillary appear before the GOP investigation into Benghazi?

And the Jan 6rh investigation is real. You don't want it investigated, do you?
The DOJ is investigating Jan 6. I have more confidence in them getting to the facts than I have in a congressional investigation. I am all for congressional oversight. The problem is that lately successive administrations have slow walked or ignored congressional supoenas. So until we figure out a way to put actual teeth into such investigations, they won’t accomplish much. However, criminal investigations by the DOJ and special prosecutors don’t get ignored and stand a better chance of actually getting to the truth.

As far as Benghazi, the Obama administration stonewalled the Congress citing national security. An oft used excuse to delay or refuse to cooperate. An excuse used as well by Republican administrations. DOJ investigations have a way of cutting through those roadblocks.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:42 pm The DOJ is investigating Jan 6. I have more confidence in them getting to the facts than I have in a congressional investigation. I am all for congressional oversight. The problem is that lately successive administrations have slow walked or ignored congressional supoenas. So until we figure out a way to put actual teeth into such investigations, they won’t accomplish much. However, criminal investigations by the DOJ and special prosecutors don’t get ignored and stand a better chance of actually getting to the truth.

As far as Benghazi, the Obama administration stonewalled the Congress citing national security. An oft used excuse to delay or refuse to cooperate. An excuse used as well by Republican administrations. DOJ investigations have a way of cutting through those roadblocks.
No they did not. You're nuts. Hell, Hillary Clinton testified for EIGHT FRIGGIN' HOURS. The problem with the Benghazi investigation was that it WAS nothing but a witch hunt by corrupt Republicans. They just made shit up. They blew it up all out of proportion, just like they're pretending that Jan 6th was just a protest gone bad, nothing to see here.

This Congressional investigation is a good one. The two GOP Congresspeople is keeping it honest. And you can't fucking wait for the election so that the GOP shuts it down before they really able to find out what Trump did that day, aren't you?
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:31 pm It's what the right does - the old "both sides" crap. They pretend that the Dems are just the same as the nutjobs running the GOP these days. Oh, there's no difference between Bush, Obama, Trump and Biden. They pretend that Bush didn't take us to terrible wars based on lies, he wasn't caught flat-footed by the 9/11 attacks, he didn't preside over the destruction of our economy which Obama had to save. They they just want to ignore everything Trump did. Of course, Biden is the one that's "dementia-ridden".

They don't want to admit that the right wing has went crazy. They argue any side they can at the moment, even if they have to flip their views.

And the LAST thing they actually want is any public investigations.
I don’t think you can find a single post by me where I objected to an investigation. You however find all kinds of excuses not to investigate Democrats. I wonder why? You say “there’s no proof”. Maybe it’s because you refuse to look and object to any attempt to actually seriously investigate. What are you afraid of?

I’m all for investigating and holding people accountable. I just happen to think that accountability shouldn’t hinge on politics. I’ve been consistent in that regard which is more than I can say for you.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

The J6 committee is bipartisan, sort of. It would be more bipartisan, and also weaker, had the Republicans not made the tactical blunder of marginalizing any member of their caucus who accepted membership in it.

As a result, the current composition of the committee is almost a guarantee of a real investigation that will name names.

-------

I have to laugh at this idea circulating the usual reality-impaired areas of the Internet, the one that Biden is "weak." The fact that all the usual Republicans took up that chant at the exact same time leads me to believe that said chant was the marching order of the day straight from the top. Worse, for them, the top is clearly exposed to be the same people that for whatever reason are the Putin marching and borscht society in the United States. That's who's at the top.

Biden's "weakness" was in reality a ballsy crap shoot in which he took a long shot bet that daily divulging of the deepest top secret intelligence gathered by allied agencies worldwide would put Putin on the wrong side when the predicted invasion happened. Had Putin decided to wait another year, the result would have made Biden a one-termer. Instead, Putin went for it, since that's the kind of guy he is. Biden nailed it, and the Republicans are exposed as lying Putin sycophants, because that's the kind of folks they are. Some of them are even obviously complicit. It always seemed that way before, now it's pretty much seen to be the facts.

The Republican version of strength in early 2020 would have been a state dinner for Putin in the White House.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:45 pm No they did not. You're nuts. Hell, Hillary Clinton testified for EIGHT FRIGGIN' HOURS. The problem with the Benghazi investigation was that it WAS nothing but a witch hunt by corrupt Republicans. They just made shit up. They blew it up all out of proportion, just like they're pretending that Jan 6th was just a protest gone bad, nothing to see here.

This Congressional investigation is a good one. The two GOP Congresspeople is keeping it honest. And you can't fucking wait for the election so that the GOP shuts it down before they really able to find out what Trump did that day, aren't you?
You make my point for me. You make excuses. You reach your conclusions before the actual investigation actually begins. That’s why we need special prosecutors. That’s why I have more confidence in DOJ investigations than I have in Congressional investigations. And it should bring you comfort that the GOP can’t shut down the DOJ investigation into Jan 6.

For the record, I haven’t opposed the congressional investigation into Jan 6. I just don’t think it will produce much because of politics.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:55 pm You make my point for me. You make excuses. You reach your conclusions before the actual investigation actually begins. That’s why we need special prosecutors. That’s why I have more confidence in DOJ investigations than I have in Congressional investigations. And it should bring you comfort that the GOP can’t shut down the DOJ investigation into Jan 6.

For the record, I haven’t opposed the congressional investigation into Jan 6. I just don’t think it will produce much because of politics.
I watched it unfold. I heard the Republicans call for the attack. We also know Trump didn’t do a damned thing for hours. You don’t want to find out how many Republicans were working to overthrow a duly elected government.

And of course the right abused special prosecutors, investing Clinton for bullshit and blowjobs.

And for the record, yes you HAVE opposed the investigation. Don’t piss backwards now.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

We'll have to wait for more history before a definitive conclusion is made, but right now it appears that the current Republican leadership is the closest thing to a truly seditious group that has ever gained prominence in the US. It openly advocates the use of strength, rabble-rousing, and moral high-grounding to overthrow free and fair elections, leading to permanent unquestioned rule by the globalized rich, white, and connected.

I refuse to watch CPAC just on principle, knowing as I do from experience how important the raw numbers of rating agency research are to the news planning departments of commercial media. It's also because there are more significant things happening right now, rendering it anachronistic at best and aiding the enemy at worst. In fact, I've finished my analysis of the whole Ukraine thing and will be watching the progress of the war while otherwise having a mental health weekend. I'm over the whole Republican psychosis, and now I'm waiting for the average American voter to catch up.

They will, or at least enough to force a change in what the media pass off as US politics.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:07 pm I watched it unfold. I heard the Republicans call for the attack. We also know Trump didn’t do a damned thing for hours. You don’t want to find out how many Republicans were working to overthrow a duly elected government.

And of course the right abused special prosecutors, investing Clinton for bullshit and blowjobs.

And for the record, yes you HAVE opposed the investigation. Don’t piss backwards now.
No I haven’t opposed the investigation. I personally don’t give a damn what happens to Trump. As far as I’m concerned the Congress can investigate whatever it chooses to investigate. I have no problem with that. It’s their right under our Constitution. As I have said, independent, professional, competent and thorough investigations by professional law enforcement agencies have much more credibility IMO. They have a better track record for cutting through all the political crap and getting to the facts.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:31 pm No I haven’t opposed the investigation. I personally don’t give a damn what happens to Trump. As far as I’m concerned the Congress can investigate whatever it chooses to investigate. I have no problem with that. It’s their right under our Constitution. As I have said, independent, professional, competent and thorough investigations by professional law enforcement agencies have much more credibility IMO. They have a better track record for cutting through all the political crap and getting to the facts.
This investigation HAS been professional and credible. Cheney has been one of only TWO Republicans that have put their country before their party, and they have both been very impressive in handling the investigation. The GOP had TWO chances to do the right thing and purge Donald Trump from their party, and instead gave him their complete and total fealty. You vote GOP, you vote Donald Trump.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:42 pm The DOJ is investigating Jan 6.
Actual patriots defend their capital.

Conservative whites violently attack it.
As far as Benghazi, the Obama administration stonewalled the Congress citing national security.
Source, pls.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Drak »

That’s odd. I thought Joe Memphis didn’t post here anymore ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
Drak

Post by Drak »

If anyone is looking to donate to Ukraine, Michael McFaul (former US ambassador to Russia) posted this link

https://www.demdigest.org/64036-2/
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Drak wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:56 pm That’s odd. I thought Joe Memphis didn’t post here anymore ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lol I love all these people who are too good for this board anymore, yet keep coming back to it.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Bludogdem »

ProfX wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:49 am https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/n ... e-resigned

But Trump’s legal challenges continue. Last week, a judge in New York ordered him to testify under oath in a parallel civil investigation focused in part on whether his company misrepresented asset values, a judge in Washington, D.C. refused to dismiss conspiracy lawsuits trying to hold him liable for the Jan. 6, 2021, U.S. Capitol riot and the National Archives revealed that classified information was found in 15 boxes of White House records taken to his Mar-a-Lago home.

Meanwhile, the Jan. 6 committee is continuing to investigate the insurrection, and what role Trump played in inciting it, and an investigation in Georgia is continuing into whether Trump broke the law by trying to pressure state officials to throw out President Joe Biden’s 2020 election victory. A special grand jury is expected to be seated in May in that case and will work for up to a year.

[snip][end]

Considering how many crimes he's guilty of, I hope he gets nailed on at least one.

Those prosecutors appear to have resigned because they did not like what seemed to be Bragg's hesitancy in bringing charges against Trump.
DA Alvin Bragg is a former Federal U.S. Attorney from the Southern District of New York and New York Deputy Attorney General. I expect he knows when there’s no there, there. Plus when you’re witness has the credibility of Michael Cohen it’s a problem.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:54 pm DA Alvin Bragg is a former Federal U.S. Attorney from the Southern District of New York and New York Deputy Attorney General. I expect he knows when there’s no there, there. Plus when you’re witness has the credibility of Michael Cohen it’s a problem.
"you are witness"? :lol: :lol: :lol:

More passive/aggressive defense of Donald Trump. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Michael Cohen is far more credible than anyone still in thrall to Donald Trump. He's about the only one with the courage to speak out against Trump when he shits all over you. The others just stay silent and eat Trump's shit.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

The case against Trump isn't reliant on Cohen. :D

That said: I think they thought Weisselberg would flip; he didn't; and there are problems with the case mostly due to the nature of NY state law, not so much the weakness of the case. They were hoping somebody from within the Org would cooperate; and they are all stonewalling.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/p ... vin-bragg/

I like Charlie Pierce. He calls 'em as he sees 'em. At the end of the day, until people speak, we can't know their motives.

Who knows. He may not face criminal charges in NY, but honestly, as I said, his legal troubles are not over.