RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

My vague understanding of the subject is that Jobs was re-hired partly to get license to build on the NeXT op system, which was BSD and Mach.

That was the official party line. NeXT machines never sold real well (they wouldn't, I think the cheapest boxes were ten grand) ... but Apple needed a modern OS, and he had one, NeXT OS with its BSD kernel became the basis of OS X.

Part of it is Apple was listless and without any real direction until he came back. That was the less spoken part.

I think Macs are up to around 10% personal computer market share at this point. Windows/"Wintel" machines are at 89%, and somewhere in that 1% are whatever else is out there. I don't think Sun still makes hardware anymore.

Quote:
Whatever happened to the Mac? It's a great machine, and it still seems popular in the art world, but Apple seems to have little interest in promoting it.

They're still selling them, including this iMac I'm typing this message to you on right now. (It is a few years old.) :D

Dunno. There were some rumors Apple was getting out of the computer business, and going to focus only on mobile devices (watch/phone/tablet/appleTV), software, and Apple Music/iTunes.

Haven't done it yet. I understand their situation, at least as far as PCs, is similar to other manufacturers, in that they're selling more laptops than desktops.

And the iPad Pro is fairly close to being a laptop lite, looks like their answer to the Surface.

There isn't much you can do on your laptop, that you can't on a iPad Pro.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

You can run both Linux and Windows on a Mac. Lots of people do. Sometimes as a second OS after a reboot ("Boot Camp"), or within a virtual machine. Also other varieties of BSD.

And then there are geeks like me who run Windows and Mac programs through a Linux OS.

Actually, I find straight-up Linux to be just as useful as the Mac OS, in large part because it's the best way I know to keep older computers running at a level not too far below new computers. (I've yet to own a brand new computer in this lifetime.)

Sure, not as user-friendly as Windows or Mac OS's, but seems to be catching up quite nicely.

Also, the Linux world is much closer to a true democracy-in-action, and at the same time holds quite a bit of that old-time hacker ethos about sticking it to the man (or whatever it is folks think they are doing that motivates them).

Ubuntu OS: "Ubuntu is published by Canonical Ltd, who offer commercial support. It is based on free software and named after the Southern African philosophy of ubuntu (literally, 'human-ness'), which Canonical Ltd. suggests can be loosely translated as "humanity to others" or "I am what I am because of who we all are"."

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

I keep meaning to get into Linux via dual boot or VM.

This machine would be a beast, were it running a real op system.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

I keep meaning to get into Linux via dual boot or VM.

This machine would be a beast, were it running a real op system.

Just burn it to a disc or put it on a thumb drive:
https://www.ubuntu.com/download
(Ubuntu desktop)

You don't have to load it on the machine to use it.

Just hold down whatever function key plus a number key that will put you into the mode of choosing which device to look at first for bootup software.

You will be given three options during bootup: use the OS one time without installing it; installing it on a new partition, thus having the option of booting up into either OS; or reformatting the primary hard drive and installing the Ubuntu OS.

I've also recently put the 32-bit version on some 15 year-old Dell machines, and it worked pretty well.

At seven-plus years old, my current desktop computer cannot run (64-bit) Windows 10 effectively, but seemingly under Linux it works as good as any current Windows 10 machine that costs less than about $5000.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

> North Korea did WannaCry

Told you I was skeptical. The fact that some IP or whatever was associated with the Sony hack is not conclusive.

Current theory is that it's somehow Chinese. This is based on the language. Earlier they'd said the only one that looked written by a native speaker was the Russian. Now it's the Chinese. The English was the second closest, but it had at least one huge grammar error. The Chinese is perfect.

It's still all circumstantial and further proof that the Internet is called the cloud for a good reason.

BBC:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40085241

Quote:
New analysis suggests Chinese-speaking criminals may have been behind the WannaCry ransomware that affected thousands of organisations worldwide.

Researchers from Flashpoint looked at the language used in the ransom notice.

They said the use of proper grammar and punctuation in only the Chinese versions indicated the writer was "native or at least fluent" in Chinese.

The translated versions of the ransom notice appeared to be mostly "machine translated".

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

This week's notion is that it WAS North Korea, though intell community says confidence is low.

I'm losing interest in whodunit.