Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Blocked content?
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

My TIME Magazine cover picture was replaced by the word "Image." The link is still good, the picture is still on the host, and the spec in the signature was still valid until I deleted it for what's there now. WTF?

I'm wondering whether something in this board's code or some kind of net crawler automatically blocks stuff on some copyright list somewhere, the way YouTube puts videos in limbo and notifies the poster.

????????????????

Post subject: Re: Blocked content?
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

I do recall there being a question about if you did a photo shop on a Time cover, but I do not recall ever seeing a cover or the word "Image," in any of your posts in that thread.

I have a slow connection, sometimes images just do not load. When that happens I do not see an Image or the word "Image." That is probably what happened to your cover with me. What I would look into is the resolution and size, maybe that image file you hotlinked contains a hell of a lot of code.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

OK... the TIME cover was real. The image I had was a screen capture of TIME's own image of it, greatly reduced in size and sharpened up quite a bit. I also eliminated most of their jpeg noise while I was at it. I don't even mess with grabbing the image files. I prefer homage to outright stealing, wink wink.

But I get ahead of myself. The image is hotlinked to my own host, not Time Warner, and everything else there works. There are really only three possibilities.

1. This board puts these images into a css class called "resize_me." I can't see the code to that css. That's the way it should be. I don't know what it does. Probably nothing relevant here... but I don't know.

2. Some kind of metadata survived the translation, and some kind of web crawler found it and did something. This seems far fetched.

3. The board's code just barfed on that particular image. I'll make a different graphic statement of the low regard I have for our current POTUS.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

OK... the TIME cover was real. The image I had was a screen capture of TIME's own image of it, greatly reduced in size and sharpened up quite a bit. I also eliminated most of their jpeg noise while I was at it. I don't even mess with grabbing the image files. I prefer homage to outright stealing, wink wink.

But I get ahead of myself. The image is hotlinked to my own host, not Time Warner, and everything else there works. There are really only three possibilities.

1. This board puts these images into a css class called "resize_me." I can't see the code to that css. That's the way it should be. I don't know what it does. Probably nothing relevant here... but I don't know.

2. Some kind of metadata survived the translation, and some kind of web crawler found it and did something. This seems far fetched.

3. The board's code just barfed on that particular image. I'll make a different graphic statement of the low regard I have for our current POTUS.

I don't have anything intentional that should block any content. It is possible the magazine has a way of blocking image hot-links though.

-P

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ahh, thanks. The web crawler theory just gained credence. It would have to be third party, since I didn't hotlink anything in Time Warner's domains.

I find this interesting more than sinister. A good puzzle.