RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Okay, I'm getting to the point of where I'm ready to buy a smartphone. I've basically narrowed it down to the Moto G5 Plus (unlocked) but the problem I have is choosing a wireless carrier.

I'm looking at no contract, 4GB plans but they seem to be a bit confusing. For example, at the Verizon website I can get unlimited talk/data and carryover data for $50 per month. However, in looking at their website they have an access fee they charge $20 per month which actually makes it a $70 plan.

I'm also considering Virgin Mobile where I can buy an iPhone, various models at different prices, and get a one-year plan for $1 a month. After that, it's $50 a month, excluding taxes. So I cold get a $650 iPhone 7 and pay $12 for the entire year of service meaning after a year the iPhone would only have cost me $50. Theoretically, I should also be able to switch carriers after the contract expires.

There are a number of wireless carriers such as:
T-Mobile
Verizon
AT&T
Sprint
Virgin Mobile
Metro PCS
Cricket Wireless
Boost Mobile
Straight Talk

So which carrier do you have?
What is their service like?
Is there anything you don't like about your carrier?
Which carrier would you recommend?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:45 pm 
Policy Wonk

Right now I'm on Verizon - I get an 18% discount through work. For the most part the coverage is good here in Iowa. There are some weak spots but usually I don't have problems making calls or doing stuff on the iPhone anywhere in Iowa. Their customer service is pretty good. I would recommend them.

AT&T is better than what they were, but their coverage still isn't as good as some of the others here in Iowa. Even up to a few years ago their coverage was only the larger urban areas and the interstates. Otherwise they were roaming or nothing at all. Cricket is owned by them.

I guess T-Mobile is OK, but they have some large coverage gaps around here which is why I didn't go with them or their local affiliate I-Wireless. MetroPCS is owned by them.

Virgin Mobile, Boost, is part of Sprint and goes off their networks.

Straight Talk is part of Tracphone, and use a number of different networks from other carriers, such as Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular, and AT&T.

A lot of people here in Iowa have US Cellular service. The coverage is pretty good throughout the eastern 2/3 of the state, with partner coverage on the western side. I'm thinking of going back to them next time. But they only have partner coverage in areas that I travel to and I'm concerned about the roaming. They had really good coverage when Verizon and AT&T only coverage in urban areas and along highways. My sister in law is thinking of going back to them from Verizon.

"Liberalism demonstrated at its very finest."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

someone showed me their ATT wifi hotspot box and i got one.
im pretty amazed at how well it works.

ATT customer service is quite lacking via phone. smh.

dont know what its like in the hinterlands, rural merica. tho i am not in a city i am near one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

Right now I'm on Verizon - I get an 18% discount through work. For the most part the coverage is good here in Iowa. There are some weak spots but usually I don't have problems making calls or doing stuff on the iPhone anywhere in Iowa. Their customer service is pretty good. I would recommend them.

AT&T is better than what they were, but their coverage still isn't as good as some of the others here in Iowa. Even up to a few years ago their coverage was only the larger urban areas and the interstates. Otherwise they were roaming or nothing at all. Cricket is owned by them.

I guess T-Mobile is OK, but they have some large coverage gaps around here which is why I didn't go with them or their local affiliate I-Wireless. MetroPCS is owned by them.

Virgin Mobile, Boost, is part of Sprint and goes off their networks.

Straight Talk is part of Tracphone, and use a number of different networks from other carriers, such as Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular, and AT&T.

A lot of people here in Iowa have US Cellular service. The coverage is pretty good throughout the eastern 2/3 of the state, with partner coverage on the western side. I'm thinking of going back to them next time. But they only have partner coverage in areas that I travel to and I'm concerned about the roaming. They had really good coverage when Verizon and AT&T only coverage in urban areas and along highways. My sister in law is thinking of going back to them from Verizon.

Thanks for your reply. I've done some research on-line as to reviews from reputable sources about the various carriers. From what I've seen Verizon is considered the best followed by AT&T but really, in a metropolitan area, I live next to San Diego, most of them would do well. Since I do very little traveling, Vegas once a year, just about any company will do. I did see reviews rating Virgin Mobile poor when it comes to customer service. Right now, I'm looking closer at T-mobile and I will be calling them on Monday to see what kind of a deal I can make since I already have them for my iPad. Also, it looks like they have the best value for what I need.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

someone showed me their ATT wifi hotspot box and i got one.
im pretty amazed at how well it works.

ATT customer service is quite lacking via phone. smh.

dont know what its like in the hinterlands, rural merica. tho i am not in a city i am near one.

Like I said to 47, I live in a metropolitan area where most of the carriers have good coverage. I can understand more rural areas where the coverage would be spotty or non-existent. My neighbor, who moved today to Florida, said she has AT&T and she likes them. Again, she's been in a large metropolitan area and moved to Jacksonville which is also a fairly large metropolitan area.

If I was in rural America, I think I'd probably do better with a satellited phone. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

Like I said to 47, I live in a metropolitan area where most of the carriers have good coverage. I can understand more rural areas where the coverage would be spotty or non-existent. My neighbor, who moved today to Florida, said she has AT&T and she likes them. Again, she's been in a large metropolitan area and moved to Jacksonville which is also a fairly large metropolitan area.

If I was in rural America, I think I'd probably do better with a satellited phone. :)

im in the hills where the air tv channels fall off frequently but this unit works fine.
its no contract unlimited. about $125 to get the unit and start up. about 79 for first
month then drops to i ferget, less than that. about 65mos iirc for both tv and net.
...if the tv stick ever gets here.

for someone, me, who bitches about net service and rightly so....this unit has been real
dependable. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

I bought my Moto G5 Pluse at Fry's Electronics, yesterday, and played with it to learn what features is has. I was able to setup the internet through my router and started downloading apps from Google.

I decided to go with T-Mobile as my carrier and called them this morning to get a SIM card for the phone and transfer my "old" cell phone number to my new phone. I was looking at their on-line offer of 4GB of data and unlimited talk for $40 a month but it turns out that was the rate for each phone in a 4-phone plan. In talking with the customer service representative I could get unlimited talk and 4GB of data a month for $45 a month on a prepaid plan. The representative said they had a promotional for $50 I can get unlimited talk and 10GB of data a month on a prepaid plan. I decided to go with the $50 plan and signed-up with them. I doubt I'll use 10GB a month but for the price of only $5 more I'll see how it works out. Now I'm just waiting for my SIM card ($10) to arrive on Friday to begin activating the phone. Once my number is transferred to the new phone I'll call my other carrier and cancel my service with them.