RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:57 pm 
Policy Wonk

In this current century we live in now anything is possible.

Why One Woman Started A Crowdfunding Campaign To Buy Twitter

You’d expect most retirees to pick up gardening or find a bridge club to pass the time in their well-earned leisure years. But in ex-CIA agent Valerie Plame Wilson’s case, her hobby of choice is crowdfunding $1 billion to buy Twitter and delete the president of the United States’ account.

https://www.good.is/articles/buy-twitter-delete-trump

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

There are many folks who never really get to retire (and for the most part, probably do not want to), and CIA agents are among that group.

In other words, she cannot do this without the blessing of those in charge of the CIA, and it might even be that this is an active operation.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's interesting, of course, because Plame had her cover broken by another rogue President, named Bush (/Cheney :D ). This incidentally ruined her operation, which was tracking nuclear proliferation.

On the one hand, I'd love to see Twitter ban Trump, just cuz. But: he'd find some other social media platform. Maybe he'll move to Instagram. :roll:

On the other, of less desirable owners of Twitter than the current ones, yeah, having the CIA own it (which given Shine's comment, would essentially be the case) ... frying pan, to fire.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

Twitter is Trump's Waterloo I don't want to interfere.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

There are many folks who never really get to retire (and for the most part, probably do not want to), and CIA agents are among that group.

In other words, she cannot do this without the blessing of those in charge of the CIA, and it might even be that this is an active operation.

Where did you get that idea?

I know someone who retired from the CIA. She doesn't have to check in and get blessings either. There are things she's not supposed to talk about. It's pretty amazing what she is allowed to talk about. I mean she can talk about her day to day how it was working for them stuff. But I have in the past asked a specific question, and her reply was I can't talk about that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

Where did you get that idea?

I know someone who retired from the CIA. She doesn't have to check in and get blessings either. There are things she's not supposed to talk about. It's pretty amazing what she is allowed to talk about. I mean she can talk about her day to day how it was working for them stuff. But I have in the past asked a specific question, and her reply was I can't talk about that.\

Yep, might be perfectly alright for Valerie to do this sort of thing on her own.

Though, I also figure, at the very least, she would have checked in with her colleagues to make sure that they are alright with what she's doing.