RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:13 am 
Policy Wonk

Just like what YouTube is doing to all the Independent Channels to demonetize them great.

Facebook adds more protection against fake news

Facebook is adding another layer of protection in the fight against fake news.

http://www.wral.com/facebook-adds-more- ... /16915486/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:55 am 
Board Emeritus

I read that article, and after reading it I don't understand what they're doing any better than I understood it before I read it. :|

Facebook is apparently doing something which sounds like more of nothing to me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:01 am 
Board Emeritus

I read that article, and after reading it I don't understand what they're doing any better than I understood it before I read it. :|

Facebook is apparently doing something which sounds like more of nothing to me.

But you're not even on Facebook so how could you know?

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:27 am 
Board Emeritus

I'm not on facebook but on occasion I go there. I'm not on YouTube but on occasion I go there.

Do you understand what they're doing and if so, is really all that different than what they were already doing to prevent the spread of fake news?

I wouldn't mind hearing about it because as it stands now I don't understand what they're doing any better than I understood it before I read about it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:48 am 
Board Emeritus

I'm not on facebook but on occasion I go there. I'm not on YouTube but on occasion I go there.

Do you understand what they're doing and if so, is really all that different than what they were already doing to prevent the spread of fake news?

I wouldn't mind hearing about it because as it stands now I don't understand what they're doing any better than I understood it before I read about it.

Facebook and Youtube are completely different, unrelated platforms. Yes, I can explain the difference. But if you're not on Facebook, it's going to be difficult to explain the differences to you. Without looking it up, do you understand what a Facebook page is?

cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:39 am 
Board Emeritus

Yes, pretty much for the personal pages, I don't understand the commercial pages. And it sounds like the fake news part impacts the commercial pages.

To short circuit a long explanation do you think what they're doing will work?

The part about it which caused me to think it would be more of nothing, is the part about them removing the stories which have been found false by third party fact checkers. Fact checkers find a relatively small number of the fake stories out there false. Someone has to complain, then someone else has to look to see if a fact checker has checked the story which was complained about. Then they take away or suspend the account.

By the time all that has been dealt with the ne'er-do-well simply creates a new page and continues on doing that which they do. At least that is how the YouTube whack-a-mole game has been playing out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:58 am 
Board Emeritus

Yes the reason I asked if you are familiar with Facebook pages is because this has to do with ads.

The actual Facebook announcement has a better explanation. https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2017/08/bl ... alse-news/

Facebook pages are not necessarily commercial pages. But one major difference is that one must be an actual Facebook user to administrate them, and also, Facebook pages allows one to create ads.

The thing to understand about Facebook pages and ad creation is that you can get incredibly specific and granular with whom you want to target. I administer three Facebook pages, none of which are "commercial" per se. This is what FB is cracking down on, and it's part of a larger effort that started back a couple years ago, and was ramped up earlier this year.

Something you might not also be aware of is the Trending stories. Trending stories give page admins an idea what the people in one's network(s) are talking about, engaging with, and clicking on. At one point during election season, Facebook took away the snippets under the trending link, leaving only the link. They put it back, probably because the negative click-bait effect taking away the snippet likely created. These small details make huge differences, especially for Facebook page admins that create a lot of Facebook ads or rely on them as part of their business model. Again, my organizations are not in that boat, though one will do them every once in a blue moon to publicize something.

In recent months, Facebook has also ramped up their staffing around handling content complaints. Everybody still complains about it because in fact, it's the overt censorship department.

I think it will work because over the past 5 years of doing this, I've seen these announced algorithms, however vague the announcement, work to affect the reach and engagement of pages.