RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

Last week I put the best parts of two of the original Chromebooks together to get one good one working. I run one and mine was running out of working digital drive capacity and because of that it was stalling to often. I have one my son had been using but the screen got broken and the mouse pad would no longer work.

I took the motherboard with its not degraded as much by long use digital drive and put it in mine. I cleaned it's operating system with the Chromebook start like it was when it was new reset. Now I have enough usable capacity to continue using it for maybe another year. :)

What I didn't do was remember to shut off the mic and camera, disallowing their use by me or third parties. Something which I had done on my old motherboard.

Today I think I caught Millward Brown Digital (insightexpressai dot com) using my microphone to target me with an ad for Duracell batteries.

What happened was a clock on the wall stopped working last night, it's battery ran out. This morning I was reading the news when a family member who was looking for a replacement battery came up to were I was reading the news and discussed not being able to find a new battery, and a plan to buy a new battery on Monday when she was planning to go to the store. In the course of that discussion the word battery was mentioned several time both by her and me.

The next news story I clicked on had a Duracell battery ad served up by Millward Brown Digital (insightexpressai dot com) for me to see. I hadn't seen a battery ad before. It could be a coincidence I suppose.

I right clicked on that ad and selected "inspect," that is how I know it was an insightexpressai dot com ad server which placed that ad. Using Google I found out that insightexpressai dot com is Millward Brown Digital's creation. This is their business site.

https://www.millwardbrowndigital.com/

Malwaretips thinks insightexpressai is a Trojan they connect to something called Poweliks. I think using the removal tools Malwaretips suggests would be a great way to infect a computer with really persistent malware. Be cautioned that people who ask google about malware are often shown links to outfits which say just about anything with file name is sign that a malware or a virus has infected their system, and they kindly offers a selection of removal tools which are actually virus and malware installation tools.

Millward Brown Digital partners with many mainstream large content providers, some would say they are "legitimate."

I'm going to leave my mic on for now and see what happens, see if there are any more of these astounding coincidences. I'm also going to study up on the blocking tools the Chrome operation system offers. And a little square of black electricians tape has been now been affixed over my machines camera lens.