the Apple Watch is a miracle!

Introduce yourself, or talk about what's happening in your life
gounion

the Apple Watch is a miracle!

Post by gounion »

It's an astonishing piece of technology I can't believe.

Now, after 2 years of planning to start working out since I retired, a month ago I stared. I head to the gym five days a week, and I'm loving it. I talked to my doctor, who gave me the okay to get started, and I've got an appointment with a Cardiologist next week, and I'll get a stress test to make sure the heart is still in good shape - my last one was five years ago and very good. I don't go too hard on the cardio, three miles at a brisk walk, don't want to get my heart rate too high until I'm tested. I'll crank it up more if the doc says go.

Changed my diet, and everything is going great. I'm having a blast and kicking myself for being such a huge procrastinator!

But this is about the watch. It's a marvel! It give me real-time heart rate, and graphs. It'll take my EKG. It'll tell me how far I've walked. It'll track my sleep. It works with the Apple Health App, which has over 15 apps that interface with it from my scale to my Continuous Glucose Monitor, Hevy, my weight lifting workout app, and brings all the data from all the apps together.

It's truly astonishing.

I was in good shape and worked out a lot back in the nineties, and I was a sucker for tech back then, too. I had a heart rate monitor that was a watch and band that went around my chest, and I had a little bike computer on my bike, and loved that stuff.

Rumor has it that the next Apple Watch will have take your blood sugar continuously, just like the do my heart rate. It wouldn't surprise me if they do it, they've done everything else!
Drak

Re: the Apple Watch is a miracle!

Post by Drak »

Totally. I picked up an Apple Watch Ultra (Mr. Fancy pants over here) and wear it everyday. I workout with weights all week but was also running a fair bit last year and was clueless about my age and where my peak heart rate should for my age group with cardio. My friend pointed it out for safety . Sure there are cheaper options but I love this thing and paired with my phone.

I use the timer a lot when jumping rope and have it set to show through my TV.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
gounion

Post by gounion »

Drak wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:13 pm Totally. I picked up an Apple Watch Ultra (Mr. Fancy pants over here) and wear it everyday. I workout with weights all week but was also running a fair bit last year and was clueless about my age and where my peak heart rate should for my age group with cardio. My friend pointed it out for safety . Sure there are cheaper options but I love this thing and paired with my phone.

I use the timer a lot when jumping rope and have it set to show through my TV.
I got the series 8 - the extras on the Ultra were those I was pretty sure I wouldn't use in the foreseeable future. But I understand getting the best :D

I was just blown away by the tech the watch has for fitness. It's awesome.
Drak

Post by Drak »

gounion wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:05 am I got the series 8 - the extras on the Ultra were those I was pretty sure I wouldn't use in the foreseeable future. But I understand getting the best :D

I was just blown away by the tech the watch has for fitness. It's awesome.
I really didn't need the Ultra. I just liked the fact that it was metal, so I went for aesthetics. I'm no rich guy by any stretch, just had some cash to burn and thought, why not. I don't regret it though. I wear this thing every day.

The straps/bands are a rip off though, price wise. But apparently they have 3rd party straps you can buy that are cheaper.

For fitness yah, I love it. When I first got it I was testing what caffeine did to my heart rate.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
gounion

Post by gounion »

Drak wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:59 pm I really didn't need the Ultra. I just liked the fact that it was metal, so I went for aesthetics. I'm no rich guy by any stretch, just had some cash to burn and thought, why not. I don't regret it though. I wear this thing every day.

The straps/bands are a rip off though, price wise. But apparently they have 3rd party straps you can buy that are cheaper.

For fitness yah, I love it. When I first got it I was testing what caffeine did to my heart rate.
I’m with you on that! I refer to it as spending “stupid money” and find that it’s often the best money I’ve ever spent.