It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/2 ... ram-usage/

Quote:
Earlier this morning, we published a protection update that caused connection issues for many of our customers. As a side effect of the web protection blocks, the product also spiked memory usage and possibly caused a crash. We have triaged this issue and pushed a protection update that resolves it.

If the update does not resolve the issue automatically for you, please shut down web protection, check for protection updates, and restart your computer.

[...]

I am personally available to discuss both on this forum via personal message or at mkleczynski@malwarebytes.com

Happened here, and was pretty spectacular. It grabbed 97% of the RAM on the system, and 10 minutes later when my process killer finally opened, the process was privileged and I couldn't kill it.

Rebooting from a cold start stopped it, though it was another half hour getting a clean shutdown with something like 3% of RAM available to everything else. Malwarebytes was uninstalled, but I suppose by now it can be reinstalled and updated with the latest (working) web protection.

People replying to the mea culpas on the forum have not missed the post-modern irony of a malware checker eating systems, crashing important business networks, and generally acting like malware.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

:lol:

I'm laughing because I've never used any of that protect your computer from assorted gremlins stuff. Working from the theory that if one does not use it, ones computer does not get bothered as much. Because if I don't use it my computer won't be checking in at the source of those assorted gremlins for updates, and they won't know that my computer exists or where to find it.

I've had considerably less trouble over the last 30 years not using it than anyone I know who does use it.