RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

As California OKs Driverless Cars, Could Big Tech Names Finally Profit?

The most populous state in the U.S. is about to see a major change on its roadways -- and that could mean forward-thinking tech firms may see the same on their bottom lines.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1450175 ... eper-.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

How long before it is illegal for humans to drive cars?

At that point, we become serfs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

Driverless cars will be only as good as the humans who program them. It'll be decades before they are the majority of the cars on the roads and by then I expect we'll have "smart roads" which will talk to the cars ensuring speed, distance between cars, etc. are maintained to ensure the roads don't become jammed. That means a lot of companies competing with each other to come up with an universal operating system that will handles all companies. Most likely, only one operating system will be approved by the states and federal government to handle road/highway traffic so there will be a lot of lobbying, campaign contributions and bribing by companies to get their system chosen. The biggest problem will be how to prevent the driverless cars as well as the operating system for the roads/highways from being hacked to cause disruption.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

I hope the fault tolerance on these vehicles' OS is a lot lower than what we allow right now for personal computing.

While on the highway where other vehicles are going 200mph (I keep thinking of Minority Report), you really don't have a few minutes to wait for your car's AI/OS to reboot after a crash. (Of course, I suspect every model will have a human driver control-override switch - but some will be "truly" "driverless" especially during the testing phase.)

And yeah, the security against hacking on these systems better be better than our PCs, too.

When these cars' AI fails - and they will - watch the fingerpointing begin over who's responsible/liable. The manufacturer? The programmer? Will the AIs be required to carry drivers' insurance? :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

I hope the fault tolerance on these vehicles' OS is a lot lower than what we allow right now for personal computing.

While on the highway where other vehicles are going 200mph (I keep thinking of Minority Report), you really don't have a few minutes to wait for your car's AI/OS to reboot after a crash. (Of course, I suspect every model will have a human driver control-override switch - but some will be "truly" "driverless" especially during the testing phase.)

And yeah, the security against hacking on these systems better be better than our PCs, too.

When these cars' AI fails - and they will - watch the fingerpointing begin over who's responsible/liable. The manufacturer? The programmer? Will the AIs be required to carry drivers' insurance? :twisted:

My brother is a very smart man and back in the 70s, when he was in his early 20s, he was working for an electronics company and he was asked to evaluate a "keyless" door lock which we would later see on many hotel room doors. My brother looked at the card and in a couple of minuted he figured out how to defeat the lock by using a blank card. What he said about security systems is "Any system a person can devise another person can get around it." I don't believe any OS is invulnerable. Given time and resources, it can be overcome.