Here's a Reason to Like Robin Williams Even More

News and events of the day
Number6

Here's a Reason to Like Robin Williams Even More

Post by Number6 »

It's been over seven years since Robin Williams died by suicide in 2014. We've loved his movies and his character of Mork on Mork and Mindy and Happy Day but now there's a reason to love him even more. After making Moscow on the Hudson Robin Williams had a rider in every movie contract. That rider was the movie company had to hire a certain number of homeless people and put them to work.
We are weary of those that are self-absorbed to the point of throwing tantrums if their outrageous demands and extreme requests aren’t met.

Wrote Brian, “When I got Robin Williams’ rider, I was very surprised by what I found. He actually had a requirement that, for every single event or film he did, the company hiring him also had to hire a certain number of homeless people and put them to work.

And that all the homeless of a given locale would be fed, so bring an extra commissary truck.

Oh, and bring vouchers to local motels so they can get rest before they appear on set.
Daily Kos
I hope other stars see this article and decide to do the same.
When you vote left, you vote right.
Libertas

Re: Here's a Reason to Like Robin Williams Even More

Post by Libertas »

Number6 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:35 pm It's been over seven years since Robin Williams died by suicide in 2014. We've loved his movies and his character of Mork on Mork and Mindy and Happy Day but now there's a reason to love him even more. After making Moscow on the Hudson Robin Williams had a rider in every movie contract. That rider was the movie company had to hire a certain number of homeless people and put them to work.

I hope other stars see this article and decide to do the same.
I think I heard about this before, either way this is no surprise at all!

When he died I was on vacation, we had a day planned with family to go to a Giants game, I stayed back at the hotel and just watched stuff online, and felt fucking horrible.
I sigh in your general direction.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

One of my favorite films with him, ironically, has to do with death and the afterlife.

It's called When Dreams May Come, and essentially it posits a novel nature of the afterlife, which makes it kinda like the Dreamtime of the Aborigines; basically, when we die, we wake up in each other's dreams. In that film, he dies and wakes up in his dead wife's dreams.

Another interesting film with him was Insomnia, by none other than Christopher Nolan. He plays the villain in that film. I think around the same time (2002) he also played a "sorta" villain in One Hour Photo. More of a tragic figure, he's a guy that works in a drug store photo lab and apparently he's obsessed with some family that constantly develops their photo there. He makes copies of their prints, then imagines himself being part of the family. But when he finds out some stuff that shakes his idyllic view of the family, he then kidnaps and takes them hostage.

I think he enjoyed the opportunity to do non comic roles. He is very sadistic and evil in the first one, and more of a tragic loser in the second, driven to crime by having his fantasies shattered.

Of course, as far as comedy roles for him, it is really hard to beat him doing Adrian Cronauer in Good Morning Vietnam. That said, that film also had some definite serious moments as well, and he handled those well, too.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:13 pm One of my favorite films with him, ironically, has to do with death and the afterlife.

It's called When Dreams May Come, and essentially it posits a novel nature of the afterlife, which makes it kinda like the Dreamtime of the Aborigines; basically, when we die, we wake up in each other's dreams. In that film, he dies and wakes up in his dead wife's dreams.

Another interesting film with him was Insomnia, by none other than Christopher Nolan. He plays the villain in that film. I think around the same time (2002) he also played a "sorta" villain in One Hour Photo. More of a tragic figure, he's a guy that works in a drug store photo lab and apparently he's obsessed with some family that constantly develops their photo there. He makes copies of their prints, then imagines himself being part of the family. But when he finds out some stuff that shakes his idyllic view of the family, he then kidnaps and takes them hostage.

I think he enjoyed the opportunity to do non comic roles. He is very sadistic and evil in the first one, and more of a tragic loser in the second, driven to crime by having his fantasies shattered.

Of course, as far as comedy roles for him, it is really hard to beat him doing Adrian Cronauer in Good Morning Vietnam. That said, that film also had some definite serious moments as well, and he handled those well, too.
Saw those, did not get all the way thru "What Dreams May Come", will have to go back and finish it.
I sigh in your general direction.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ProfX wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:13 pm One of my favorite films with him, ironically, has to do with death and the afterlife.

I've seen those movies as well. I loved What Dreams May Come and he showed he could act in dramas as well as he could in comedies. Such a talented man.
When you vote left, you vote right.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

The fisher King was another good one.

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/stat ... 6526646272
In American media the outrage is not that extreme poverty exists, it’s that it’s adjacent to rich people. The victimized party being centered here isn’t those living in squalor it’s those in luxury condos who have to see them.
video in the tweet.