RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:32 am 
Board Emeritus

Key U.S. Internet Infrastructure Will Likely Be Underwater in 15 Years, Scientists Say

Some of the key internet infrastructure in the U.S. will likely be underwater in as little as 15 years because of rising seas, scientists say.

The situation is particularly dire for internet infrastructure in New York City, Miami and Seattle, researchers from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and the University of Oregon say. The effects would likely ripple across the internet, potentially disrupting global communications.

https://weather.com/science/environment ... ising-seas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:23 am 
Board Emeritus

The places they temporally park railroad train cars where they load and unload ships will also be underwater. Then when the water rises a little more the docks themselves will go under.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

San Pedro and Long Beach harbors will be underwater. The Navy Mole will be an artificial reef. Terminal Island will cease to exist. The truck routes and the rail lines, as you say, will be bottom features.

A lot of Brooklyn won't be a good alternative to Manhattan real estate prices any more. It'll be a good place to fish.

A lot of Manhattan will vanish. Canal Street will be one. Water Street will be under same.

JFK airport will disappear altogether.

Etc.

One reason Chelsea in NYC is so popular with information companies is that some big fiber networks emerge from the sea there. Thus you see Google where the Port Authority used to be, and the Major League Baseball video review studio a few blocks west. That will submerge.

I would imagine that a lot of the fiber backbones that run through L.A. will be similar. I don't know where they break out, but if it's where I suspect it is, they'll be in the swamp when it takes that whole part of L.A. back.

Last edited by ZoWie on Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

But if I vote for rump and against the environment he will kill Women in back alleys and that is all I care about.

note: the above remark is sarcasm but is an EXACT representation of sixty million american voters

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

What I have to say to them is:

Row, row, row your boat
Gently down the stream
Merrily, merilly, merilly, merilly,
Life is but a dream.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:08 pm 

Florida will again be prime coral reef territory.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:22 am 
Board Emeritus

We may go under first (probably after I'm dead), but a big swath of the rest of the U.S. is going to have problems.

You may need scuba gear on your next outing to the Big Easy.