Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

Online Trolls Pose Growing Threat to Free Press

RSF says those "press predators" take various forms: 1) drowning legitimate news in fake news or pro-government content; 2) amplifying pro-government content via paid commentators on social networks or through bots, and 3) outright intimidation via insults or threats to try to silence them.

The cyberattacks on journalists are disproportoinately targeted at women, the report found.

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/ ... free-press

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

Online Trolls Pose Growing Threat to Free Press

RSF says those "press predators" take various forms: 1) drowning legitimate news in fake news or pro-government content; 2) amplifying pro-government content via paid commentators on social networks or through bots, and 3) outright intimidation via insults or threats to try to silence them.

The cyberattacks on journalists are disproportoinately targeted at women, the report found.

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/ ... free-press

Hey, Zuckerburg will tell you what a wonderful thing his pile of shit is. The only thing I hope for regarding facebook is that the kids don't use it. Maybe when boomers die off that piece of crap will die to. It doesn't "connect" anybody. It is the perfect storm of blaring noise full of sound and fury and signifying nothing.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

Jewish journalists also.

https://www.adl.org/education/reference ... cho?page=4

Multiple parentheses—or the "echo," as it is sometimes referred to—is a typographical practice used by some anti-Semites on-line. It typically consists of three pairs of parentheses or brackets used around someone's name or around a term or phrase.

When used around someone's name—such as (((Natalie Weiss)))—it is intended by the user to indicate to others "in the know" that the person being referred to is Jewish.

When used around a term or phrase—such as (((banker)))—the intent is generally that the word "Jewish" be placed in front of the term or phrase, or simply that the term or phrase is actually synonymous with Jews.
Journalists Cooper Fleishman and Anthony Smith traced the origins of this anti-Semitic typographical symbol to a 2014 podcast that used an audio echo as a sound effect when someone on the podcast mentioned a Jewish name. Other anti-Semites translated the audio echo into a typographical symbol used primarily on social media sites such as Twitter.

The use of the echo was relatively uncommon, but in the spring of 2016, some anti-Semites began using the echo when responding to or re-tweeting Jewish journalists, or journalists thought to be Jewish, which brought more attention to the practice.

[snip][end]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hey, Zuckerburg will tell you what a wonderful thing his pile of shit is. The only thing I hope for regarding facebook is that the kids don't use it. Maybe when boomers die off that piece of crap will die to. It doesn't "connect" anybody. It is the perfect storm of blaring noise full of sound and fury and signifying nothing.

Mannnnnn, there are 2 billion people on Facebook. How could you possibly know who is and who isn't making connections?

Kids 13 through maybe 20 don't really use it. Kids under 13 aren't allowed on it. But we're finding that once the kids get out of high school, where it's uncool to be on FB, and start making professional and even career moves, they get on FB, as professional people do to LinkedIn. Lol these complaints about social media remind me of parents who called television the "idiot box" and those horrified by the proliferation of jazz in talking pictures and rock and roll on the radio. :)

There are also connections that can definitely be made on Facebook that can't be made offline. Good example is my would-be in-laws. After the breakup about 3 years ago, my ex's mother and I formed a relationship via Facebook that has grown quite strong. If not for Facebook, I would not know that she had to evacuate last night because of the fires in her area, is safe, and I would be wondering while reading the news about them. That may not sound like a big deal to you, but it is to me.

And FB is a big deal to people who are isolated perhaps by disabilities.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

If you think bots and trolls are something, wait until AI voice bots like Google Duplex.

Talking to Google Duplex: Google’s human-like phone AI feels revolutionary - Ars Technical

Quote:
We all knew what we were getting into. At I/O 2018, Google shocked the world with a demo of "Google Duplex," an AI system for accomplishing real-world tasks over the phone. The short demo felt like the culmination of Google's various voice-recognition and speech-synthesis capabilities: Google's voice bot could call up businesses and make an appointment on your behalf, all while sounding shockingly similar—some would say deceivingly similar—to a human. Its demo even came complete with artificial speech disfluencies like "um" and "uh."

The short, pre-recorded I/O showcase soon set off a firestorm of debate on the Web. People questioned the ethics of an AI that pretended to be human, wiretap laws were called into question, and some even questioned if the demo was faked. Other than promising Duplex would announce itself as a robot in the future, Google had been pretty quiet about the project since the event.

Then all of a sudden, Google said it was ready to talk more about Duplex. Even better, the company would let me talk directly with the infamous AI. So for an afternoon at least, I wasn't Ron Amadeo, Ars Technica Reviews Editor—I was Ron Amadeo, THEP restaurant employee waiting to field "live" phone calls from a bot.

Anyone who uses Google, gmail, Android, Chrome, and YouTube is complicit in the development of this technology.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

If you think bots and trolls are something, wait until AI voice bots like Google Duplex.

Talking to Google Duplex: Google’s human-like phone AI feels revolutionary - Ars Technical

Anyone who uses Google, gmail, Android, Chrome, and YouTube is complicit in the development of this technology.

Which email system are you using primarily? I notice I dont have a gmail for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

last nite during hard rain lightning thunder storm the power went out across a large area.
so, i took my small lappie out to my truck and plugged it in and used it there.
however....WTF happened to my small lappie????
I DONT USE GOOGel YET SUDDENLY THAT LAPPIE IS USING IT? after a blackout full of thunder claps..whut??
my search was suddenly set on goog which i NEVER use. bing maps?...i dont think so. had to change
back a bunch of stuff. had to reload FFox.
i was NOT using that lap or any tv or other lappies, id shut all that shit down as this blow came
rolling in.
very weird shit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

Mannnnnn, there are 2 billion people on Facebook. How could you possibly know who is and who isn't making connections?

Kids 13 through maybe 20 don't really use it. Kids under 13 aren't allowed on it. But we're finding that once the kids get out of high school, where it's uncool to be on FB, and start making professional and even career moves, they get on FB, as professional people do to LinkedIn. Lol these complaints about social media remind me of parents who called television the "idiot box" and those horrified by the proliferation of jazz in talking pictures and rock and roll on the radio. :)

There are also connections that can definitely be made on Facebook that can't be made offline. Good example is my would-be in-laws. After the breakup about 3 years ago, my ex's mother and I formed a relationship via Facebook that has grown quite strong. If not for Facebook, I would not know that she had to evacuate last night because of the fires in her area, is safe, and I would be wondering while reading the news about them. That may not sound like a big deal to you, but it is to me.

And FB is a big deal to people who are isolated perhaps by disabilities.

So I wont mention the area they live in but small world. Hopefully they will be OK and their house.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

Which email system are you using primarily? I notice I dont have a gmail for you.

Gmail and a couple other ones

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

I nuked my facebook account a couple of months ago. I wasn't getting anything out of it.

There are a couple of people I like that only hang there, but that's their loss, not mine.

I was able to find a few old college friends on the thing. For the most part, they'd become boring Republicans. I attempted no contact. Actually, twitter has been better for that.

Media literacy is the real problem. It never keeps up with technology. Most people know not to believe everything they read in the papers, but that's two revolutions ago.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah I don't blame anybody who leaves social media, for whatever their reasons. I have this kind of ironic saying for sm clients: Facebook has two billion active monthly users. That is a third of the population of Planet Earth. But Facebook isn't for everybody :)

Same for any of the other sm platforms.

In the wake of Cambridge Analytica, there have been some pretty heavy critiques leveled at media literacy and it's intents and failures. You probably remember this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22542 , see esp. the posts about danah boyd. She's not the only old-schooler freaking out, Anil Dash and some others are right there with her.

What's really interesting to me is that Wired Magazine of all things predicted this mess in a certain way, back in 1993, iirc. The problem of every individual learning what they know about the world from their atomized cell phones, getting sent highly customized news, and only associating with people exactly like themselves. It's got implications for what democracy and democratic processes are supposed to mean when there isn't a literate populace.

Cripes, this country was dealing with similar issues 100 years ago, coupled with a white-supremacist manufactured crisis about immigration against Eastern and Southern Europeans, and everybody on Planet Earth due east and due south of them.