Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

Google Chrome new version – Here is everything that’s new

To celebrate its 10th anniversary, Google Chrome’s latest version ‘Chrome 69’ was launched by the tech giant earlier this month. The new version will precisely fill in addresses, passwords, credit card numbers into forms and save this details in a Google Account. With this upgrade, Google Chrome has got a better password manager which will automatically generate and suggest a strong password for websites when one signs up on them. After signing up, Chrome will save this password in the Google account and make it accessible both on desktop or laptop and mobile.

https://www.financialexpress.com/indust ... w/1313200/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

I've no issue with Google Chrome. It's Google News, they've been showing me all too many Fox News articles.

:|

This is one of those big and bold headlines:

Yellowstone tourist ticketed for walking too close, appearing to urinate on Old Faithful

Serendipitous that. That about sums up Trump supporters behavior regarding our government and it's institutions. I kind of wish they could be ticketed for it.

USA TODAY is running that story too. And they're gone one up with:

Man accused of rubbing produce on his butt at Northern Virginia grocery store

:|

Like I said I'm having trouble with the Google News index.

Don't worry about Old Faithful, it's regular flowing fountain will foul that urine before it can cause any lasting improvement in the health of that barren scorched earth.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

Google News is pretty brain damaged. I'm holding out on the New Improved Version for as long as they'll let me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

i gotta ask: WHY would I go to goggles for "news"? why would i even both with the goog for that?
i dont get that. its like going to FB for "news". FB already shown as a bought paid for "news" source
why would i do, or keep, doing that?

rawstory has already pissed me off with the begging thing the last Weeks, so im going elsewhere
for news.

why would i accept "news" from a zuck or a goog employee. ive NO reason for doing that.
ive NO reason to buy shit from ama-zone or have them cut a fucking tree down to ship some
consumption shit to me.
some things, IMHO, are way too manipulative yet people keep falling for them. i dont get it.

truly. i do not get why people keep using ama-zone or goog or apple. they just collect your
info and make a "personality" of You and they make big bucks which they get from your personality.

which i guess indicates modern tech has taken over human personalities. must be why humans
cant even make time to call on phones and TALK to other humans.

jesus, what a sad fucking earth. smh.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

i gotta ask: WHY would I go to goggles for "news"? why would i even both with the goog for that?
i dont get that. its like going to FB for "news". FB already shown as a bought paid for "news" source

rawstory has already pissed me off with the begging thing the last Weeks, so im going elsewhere
for news.

why would i accept "news" from a zuck or a goog employee. ive NO reason for doing that.
ive NO reason to buy shit from ama-zone or have them cut a fucking tree down to ship some
consumption shit to me.
some things, IMHO, are way too manipulative yet people keep falling for them. i dont get it.

truly. i do not get why people keep using ama-zone or goog or apple. they just collect your
info and make a "personality" of You and they make big bucks which they get from your personality.

which i guess indicates modern tech has taken over human personalities. must be why humans

Rain, where do you go for news?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

for news.

Raw Story is second-hand news, anyway. They are also a Salon partner (see below).

Quote:
consumption shit to me.

Google News is one of the best aggregators of news sources, if, like anything else online, you learn how to use it. It's not the same as going to FB for news, though actual jouranlistic organizations do post actual news to Facebook, including breaking news.

I get quite a bit of my news from Facebook, because I understand how to use Facebook for actual news, and keep up on how that platform keeps changing. Especially given that it's always in the news, itself, :)

You don't have to use any of it, though. Like posting on this board, all use of online communities and commerce is optional.

Modern tech has not taken over human personalities, human personalities create modern tech. Researchers like Alondra Nelson, head of the Social Sciences Research Council; Virginia Eubanks https://virginia-eubanks.com/, and Safiya Umoja Noble https://nyupress.org/books/9781479837243/ , among others, are taking up what this actually means for society, how it plays out, and what can be done about it.

Alondra Nelson is also director of Data and Society started by danah boyd, an organization that deals with these matters, specifically, in some of the smartest ways, I've seen. https://datasociety.net/

Raw Story has been a partner of Salon for several years, and they fan out stories by Salon authors. It's worth noting that one of the ways Salon generates revenue is if you suppress ads on Salon, you'll get shunted into the cryptocurrency-mining line.

FAQ: What happens when I choose to “Suppress Ads” on Salon?

Quote:
We realize that specific technological developments now mean that it is not merely the reader’s eyeballs that have value to our site — it’s also your computer’s ability to make calculations, too. Indeed, your computer itself can help support our ability to pay our editors and journalists.

So, if you block ads on Salon and your computer is acting slow, this could be contributing to why. :problem:

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

By the way, we professional computer nerdz call it Microsloth for a reason. If you're not on Chrome because it's Google/Alphabet, and you hate Apple, unless you're on Linux (most flavors of which left the DIY world and went corporate years ago) you're on Microsoft. As is most of Planet Earth.

This is what you/we Microsoft users, i.e. 95% of the PC market, are contributing to.

Microsoft 'Improves' Racist Facial Recognition Software - Gizmodo/Univision, written in typical second-hand news commentary found on other Univision properties like The Root

Quote:
In a self-congratulatory move, Microsoft announced some major improvements today to its fundamentally biased facial recognition software. The Azure-based Face API was criticized in a research paper earlier this year for its error rate—as high as 20.8 percent—when attempting to identify the gender of people of color, particularly women with darker skin tones. In contrast, Microsoft’s AI was able to identify the gender of photos of “lighter male faces” with an error rate of zero percent, the study concluded.

Like other companies developing face recognition tech, Microsoft didn’t have enough images of black and brown people, and it showed in its recognition test results. Microsoft’s blog post today puts the onus primarily on the data it used when building the facial recognition software, stating that such technologies are “only as good as the data used to train them.” Considering the predicament, the most obvious fix was a new dataset containing more images of brown people, which Microsoft used.

“The Face API team made three major changes. They expanded and revised training and benchmark datasets, launched new data collection efforts to further improve the training data by focusing specifically on skin tone, gender and age, and improved the classifier to produce higher precision results.” With the latest batch of improvements, Microsoft said it was able to reduce the error rates for men and women with darker skin by up to 20 times. For all women, the company said the error rates were reduced by nine times.

In the blog post, Microsoft senior researcher Hanna Wallach touched on one of the industry’s broader failings, noting how data generated by a biased society would lead to biased results when it came to training machine learning systems. “We had conversations about different ways to detect bias and operationalize fairness,” Wallach said. “We talked about data collection efforts to diversify the training data. We talked about different strategies to internally test our systems before we deploy them.”

In January, Microsoft stated that ICE would be using its Azure Government Cloud service, in part to “process data on edge devices or utilize deep learning capabilities to accelerate facial recognition and identification.” The announcement has so far led to employees asking the company to cancel its contract with the government agency.

Nice going. :problem:

Stop calling the cops on us.