All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

Rescheduled from original date

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

OHTHX FOR REMINDER. IM TURNING PHONE OFF.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ms. Z has cell phone alerts off, and she didn't get it. I have them on, for now, and got it. The EAS test did a flash override on the FIOS we have here, and grabbed the whole system. So... if you have cell phone alerts off, and you aren't watching TV, you will miss the presidential Nice Knowing You Kiss Yer Ass Goodbye if drumpf starts a strategic nuclear war.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

The content consisted of standard test messages, not drumpf addressing the country and saying something stupid out his wretched round shithole he calls a mouth. People made altogether too big a deal out of this test.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

prolly just another way of them gathering data info on the pop.
from alexa hearing Everything to sending a selfie of your face so AI can tell you what your skin issue is.
su-re, let me selfie send my fingerprints DNA and a stool sample, make it easy for'em.

srsly. people are falling for all this shit. kids wont know any better, theyll keep giving it away for free.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

So, presumably this is a national emergency system to be used in case of a national emergency.

Grand.

(Raises his hand here.) Question: you know, hard as it is to believe, not everybody in the country has a cell phone - or one that can receive texts.

I guess, in case of national emergency, we'll just let those people die.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

So, presumably this is a national emergency system to be used in case of a national emergency.

Grand.

(Raises his hand here.) Question: you know, hard as it is to believe, not everybody in the country has a cell phone - or one that can receive texts.

I hear Obama initiated this, but in the hands of a traitor, I shudder to think...Is it shudder, shiver?

shoddy workmanship from idiot president

now where is that phone call from my guitar player

bought this. LOVE IT

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accesso ... ne&index=1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:12 am 
Board Emeritus

EAS replaced EBS, which replaced CONELRAD. That last one was originally to stop planes from using AM stations as navigation beacons, the way the Japanese did at Pearl Harbor.

The one for cell phones, etc, is separate, and for all I know Obama did start it.

I can't get a straight answer on which one can be activated by the President every time he has a bad dream.

The nuke part of the EAS was tested recently in Hawaii, and it worked just fine. The warning text was also on highway signs, etc.* Pretty much the entire state ended up thinking that Kim had pushed the button, and they would cease to exist in 15 minutes. Oops.

This was when the drumpf-Kim love affair was still in the name calling stage, and people hadn't been told by our reliable Nooz that we were well on our way to a nuke-free Korean peninsula. Which we aren't.

----

* HI has three interstate highways

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

yuck

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:30 am 
Board Emeritus

Grand.

To be fair, the old system played on TVs. Not everyone had a TV, either, and not everyone that did have one would be near it. I'd say this system would reach more people than the old system, now, wouldn't it?

77% of Americans now own a smartphone.

In my office, everyone else's phone went off about the same time, but mine remained silent. I was feeling left out and bemoaning the fact that Trump hated me, when about five minutes later, mine went off.

Of course I then bemoaned the fact that Trump hated me. :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:35 am 
Board Emeritus

My guess is 77% own a cell phone, the percentage of smart phones is smaller. Of course, most non "smart" phones can receive texts ...

BTW, a 5 minute delay? I guess you're lucky it wasn't a real emergency warning, like "the building you're in is about to collapse" (tho I hope somebody who got it earlier would tell you!)

Oh ... and if you get into a crash because you checked a text on your phone while in the car because it was an emergency notification ... is that a legal defense? :D

There probably is no fool-proof way to reach all of America with an emergency message, perhaps at the moment this is the best way.

They put amber alerts up on electric highway signs, but that only works at the local level.

I think we all now how useless it is to put it on broadcast TV or AM/FM radio.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:58 am 
Board Emeritus

My guess is 77% own a cell phone, the percentage of smart phones is smaller. Of course, most non "smart" phones can receive texts ...

BTW, a 5 minute delay? I guess you're lucky it wasn't a real emergency warning, like "the building you're in is about to collapse" (tho I hope somebody who got it earlier would tell you!)

Oh ... and if you get into a crash because you checked a text on your phone while in the car because it was an emergency notification ... is that a legal defense? :D

There probably is no fool-proof way to reach all of America with an emergency message, perhaps at the moment this is the best way.

They put amber alerts up on electric highway signs, but that only works at the local level.

I think we all now how useless it is to put it on broadcast TV or AM/FM radio.

Over 90% own a cell phone. I was speaking of smart phones.

Again, I would think it is a good thing to have an emergency warning system. Knowledge is good.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:36 am 
Board Emeritus

Again, I would think it is a good thing to have an emergency warning system. Knowledge is good.

That was not the proposition I was debating. I was asking the best way to reach people.

I also acknowledged - and I checked your stats, they are that high (which is a pretty amazing jump from 35% in 2011 to 77% in 2018) -
http://www.pewinternet.org/fact-sheet/mobile/

maybe this is the best way, though I mentioned one potential complication. ;)

(I hope you don't get your emergency warning in your car while driving...)(though if you have some kinda hands-free system, maybe it will pop up on the dash)

I should point out people yell at me because I sometimes don't carry my smart phone with me all the time, or have it turned off (especially in class).

I just don't. Guess I gotta get with the program. My life could be at stake ...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:54 am 
Board Emeritus

Cell phones are being attacked by robocallers. It's something like 50% of the calls now. Given this government's laissez-faire policy any time someone has a buck to make, I imagine that a lot more people will mute them or turn them off much of the time.

There's probably no good way to ensure 100% coverage for a warning. The bad old days assumed you were in earshot of a siren and/or had a radio turned on. We're a little better than that now, but not much.

It's fine to say alerts are an intrusion by Big Brother, but they have uses. It would be nice in L.A. to know an earthquake happened somewhere, and you have 45 seconds to get under something and hang on, before the building starts dropping stuff on you. They're working on a system that would do just that.

Etc..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

That was not the proposition I was debating. I was asking the best way to reach people.

I also acknowledged - and I checked your stats, they are that high (which is a pretty amazing jump from 35% in 2011 to 77% in 2018) -
http://www.pewinternet.org/fact-sheet/mobile/

maybe this is the best way, though I mentioned one potential complication. ;)

(I hope you don't get your emergency warning in your car while driving...)(though if you have some kinda hands-free system, maybe it will pop up on the dash)

I should point out people yell at me because I sometimes don't carry my smart phone with me all the time, or have it turned off (especially in class).

I just don't. Guess I gotta get with the program. My life could be at stake ...

I have hands-free and my phone is in a holster on the dash in my field of view. Wouldn't be a big deal to me.

I'm sure even if you don't have your phone in class, your students would be jumping up and running, as THEY'LL have THEIR phones. Hopefully they'll like you enough to tip you off as they run...

Smartphones would be the best way to reach the maximum number of people.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

Well, look. If I see 20 of them suddenly jump out of their seats and race into the hallway after looking at their phones...

They're either giving away filet mignon at the campus cafeteria, or a meteor is about to hit Miami. :D