Got a New Computer Keyboard

Need help on the board? Have a good suggestion?

Talk about it

Moderators: plunderer, Bernie the union guy

Number6
Board Emeritus

Got a New Computer Keyboard

Post by Number6 »

My desktop computer keyboard was acting up .for some time so I decided it was time for a new one. Many times I'd hit a key and it wouldn't register which made logging-in or typing a pain in the ass. I checked out the one they had at the Navy Exchange but none seemed right for me, I like one with a wrist pad, so I went to Amazon. I wasn't looking for an expensive one like gamers use but one that would do the basics. I found a keyboard/mouse combination, bought it, and received it this morning with the mail (USPS delivered it fast).

I'm used to using keyboards and mice that are either connected with a cord or wireless with a receiver on the desktop. This new one came with a "nano receiver" replacing the corded receiver. The "nano receiver" looks like a USB thumb drive and it plugs into the back of the computer's in the USB port where the corded received went. The "nano receiver" is supposed to receive signals up to 10 meters.

First impressions is it works very well. The keys respond well, I haven't had the problems I had with the old one, and I don't see any lag time with the mouse. One nice thing about the "nano receiver" is it clears my desk of the old receiver. Overall, I think this keyboard/mouse combination will work out well.
When you vote Left you vote right.

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Re: Got a New Computer Keyboard

Post by Libertas »

Number6 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:46 pm
My desktop computer keyboard was acting up .for some time so I decided it was time for a new one. Many times I'd hit a key and it wouldn't register which made logging-in or typing a pain in the ass. I checked out the one they had at the Navy Exchange but none seemed right for me, I like one with a wrist pad, so I went to Amazon. I wasn't looking for an expensive one like gamers use but one that would do the basics. I found a keyboard/mouse combination, bought it, and received it this morning with the mail (USPS delivered it fast).

I'm used to using keyboards and mice that are either connected with a cord or wireless with a receiver on the desktop. This new one came with a "nano receiver" replacing the corded receiver. The "nano receiver" looks like a USB thumb drive and it plugs into the back of the computer's in the USB port where the corded received went. The "nano receiver" is supposed to receive signals up to 10 meters.

First impressions is it works very well. The keys respond well, I haven't had the problems I had with the old one, and I don't see any lag time with the mouse. One nice thing about the "nano receiver" is it clears my desk of the old receiver. Overall, I think this keyboard/mouse combination will work out well.
I had that in my office.

Logitech...works great.
If you are a FLYNN defender you are a TRAITOR and dont talk to me, I am a patriot...

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

What's a desktop computer?

;)

Number6
Board Emeritus

Post by Number6 »

Libertas wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:00 pm
I had that in my office.

Logitech...works great.
Mine's a Logitech keyboard/mouse.

Number6
Board Emeritus

Post by Number6 »

Sam Lefthand wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:18 pm
What's a desktop computer?

;)
It's an anachronism device predating the laptop computer although this desktop computer is about five years old although I don't know if that makes it anachronistic. But on the other hand, a computer that's over two years old is considered "out-of-date" so I guess it could be considered anachronistic.

ZoWie
Board Emeritus

Post by ZoWie »

I'm about to retire my current desktop box after 10 years of exemplary service. It's kind of a misnomer, since most current ones sit on the floor. The new one isn't quite as gonzoid, but it's another good solid machine. Takes two people to pick it up.

Laptops won't cut it for the stuff I do, though I have a nice one I take on trips. Or, at least, I used to before our poor leadership caused the worst pandemic hit in the world and it became too risky to go anywhere.

I like the Logitech keyboard. The only problem I've ever had is that in a crowded urban environment it can get RF interference and lose a character once in a while. It's still worth it to be rid of the cables always getting in the way.

Number6
Board Emeritus

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:33 pm
I'm about to retire my current desktop box after 10 years of exemplary service. It's kind of a misnomer, since most current ones sit on the floor. The new one isn't quite as gonzoid, but it's another good solid machine. Takes two people to pick it up.
I figure if you get 7-10 years out of a computer you got your money's worth. How big is that computer that it takes two people to pick it up? Does it run on magnetic tape or keypunch cards? ;) :rw)
Laptops won't cut it for the stuff I do, though I have a nice one I take on trips. Or, at least, I used to before our poor leadership caused the worst pandemic hit in the world and it became too risky to go anywhere.
Most people don't need massive computing power like those who do movie-quality graphics so a regular laptop will do. The first laptop I used was when I deployed to Zagreb, Croatia with a Toshiba laptop with a CD-ROM in 1995. I didn't need the CD-ROM in my work but one of our medical techs had a CD that asked medical questions in dozens of languages and would translate answers into English.
I like the Logitech keyboard. The only problem I've ever had is that in a crowded urban environment it can get RF interference and lose a character once in a while. It's still worth it to be rid of the cables always getting in the way.
I could see where that would be a problem. I rarely take my laptop out of the house other than for our annual HOA meetings in the local library conference room. Even through there are a lot of people working on laptops, tablets, and cell phones I never experienced problems.

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

ZoWie wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:33 pm
It must be something like humongous.

I regard a spinet piano as a one person thing to pick up.

Studio's and grand's, two person things.

Volkswagen's, four person things.

ZoWie
Board Emeritus

Post by ZoWie »

Shipping weight 57 pounds. We're talking about the big stuff here. It's how you get a computer to last 10 years. Lots of room to work on stuff, and big parts that you can actually get to. Only problem is that monitors have changed in this period, and my old ones have various quirks that I won't bore you with.

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:23 pm
Shipping weight 57 pounds. We're talking about the big stuff here. It's how you get a computer to last 10 years. Lots of room to work on stuff, and big parts that you can actually get to. Only problem is that monitors have changed in this period, and my old ones have various quirks that I won't bore you with.
Costco is great for monitors. What monitor did it come with or did you get?
If you are a FLYNN defender you are a TRAITOR and dont talk to me, I am a patriot...

ZoWie
Board Emeritus

Post by ZoWie »

See, that's the thing. My old graphic arts monitor is calibrated, so the photos that i sell people meet professional standards, and there's no money to replace it any time soon. I have another monitor, no prob, but it would be very nice for this first one to work right with newer iron. I'm on the phone with the company and we're troubleshooting.