It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: wifi and data sucking
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

after i was FULLY and supposdly "disconnected" from skynet i sat and watched
"trending" data loading up. it kept loading and loading and "trending" changes.
and this lappie was not connected by any means i knew of.

but, it kept printing popping renewing INFO coming from the skynet
despite the a DISCONNECTED icon. despite not being able to DO
anything OL this data kept loading and updating.

then someone told me to use 'airplane mode'...which i hadda look up. lol.
the First thing shown was REMOVE YOUR BATTERY.
thats the Only way you Can Fully Cut OFF the wifi that KEEPS
sucking your data usage causing overages.
..when you Think
You are Not on the skynet.

guess what...you still are.

this some real bullshit. and not the first time a 'wifi unit' has done this.
the worst ones are the 'overdrive' units...which you gotta to break into
FOUR DIFF pieces for it to SHUT down.
the sticks are not much better but you can actually unplug them
wrap them in foil and bury them in the yard til next use.
...wheres my foil....

im 3g and 4g but only have 3g network around me.
meanwhile....my data has been sucked silly and now i know Why.

take your batterie(s) out of your units when You are Not Using them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

It varies. Most smartphones these days make it pretty hard to get the battery out. Older hardware not only makes it easy, but typically it had spare batteries you could change in, or optional bigger batteries, so again it should be pretty easy to remove it.

A few generations of technology ago, they put GPS into cell phones, so 911 calls could actually give position information instead of just which mobile service office or cell site you were on. I don't know how much of this can be turned off. The newest smartphones have sensors for everything, just like spacecraft. I mean, everything. Gravity, orientation, motion, position, acceleration, the works.

"Airplane mode" is for compliance with the rules for no electronics on takeoff and landing, and it should shut down anything that transmits. That takes you off the cell system, so it should stop data transfer by that mode.

If your phone really doesn't have an airplane mode, then probably removing the battery is the only way to do it.

Wi-fi should also be shut down by default in airplane mode, though I notice on my Android phone that it can be turned back on again if there's wi-fi on the plane like when I go to/from New York. Wi-fi can usually be manually shut down on any device if you know which menu choice does it. Turning wi-fi off disconnects you from the network, and no data will be transferred by that means.

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"

Last edited by ZoWie on Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

yah i read thru that stuff zowie, and it was more complicated than the first option of Removing
the damn batterie from the damn lappie.
phones i dont know nuthin on since i do not use them. but id expect any further generations
of ANY of this shit will prevent battery removals.

suck that data.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oh, laptop batteries come right off to facilitate replacement with fresh ones. I don't know how long a laptop will go in battery-less state before losing config, but since there's often a backup battery on the mainboard, it could be quite a while. Still, I prefer turning things off from the operating system, but then I'm something of a geek.

So far laptops haven't turned into surveillance machines, as long as they can't talk to the Internet, though I have heard of hacks that turn on the camera and mike and that could be recorded for future upload. I doubt this can happen if the laptop is off because the operating system isn't running.

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

well, that was interesting.
had NO media up and got some news broadcast anyway.
truly a marvel this tek.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:52 am 
Board Emeritus

btw, the USB stick modems are even worse.
like twilightZone of using 250hours in 240 hours of time, ten days, as tho one were ON
skynet 24, er 25, hours a day.

wifi is a Scam.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

the scam grows exponentially. of course why wouldnt it.
ap215 has this thread: musing the..
FTC OK With Tribune/Local TV Holdings Deal
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8958
Tribune's $2.725 billion deal to buy Local's 19 TV stations--

this pretty much explains why....you have to buy-from-them cuz the govmt contracts
are simply not enough money for'em. they want More.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the ... -lot-more/?
We’re using a ton of mobile data. With Google Glass, we’re about to use a whole lot more.
...the FCC next year aims to buy up valuable wireless spectrum from television broadcasters and sell it to cellular companies as part of a planned auction. It’s been in the works for some time, but the rise of Google Glass and devices like it puts more pressure on the transaction to be completed quickly and cleanly. ....

its become a bar and cell communication prison.
...wheres my freedumb fries....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

We're at most two years from a backlash against the Prison Cell.

You see vague unease, far outside the narrow focus of The Nooz, that maybe spending over 50% of your life staring at screens isn't so great after all. Also, there's the whole spectacle of people tuning out life and living in one endless text exchange. And, of course, the growing realization that the NSA isn't doing anything corporations don't do every time you stare at said screen.

FCC just loves spectrum auctions. Most have been disasters. They sell what used to be the commonweal - EM spectrum - to some robber baron, and then they act surprised when it's underused or used for more of the same old crap.

At least in this case, the spectrum was vacated when another set of robber barons changed over to digital TV on higher frequencies. Old analog TV required an incredible chunk of spectrum, and most of it was... wait for it... NOTHING. Guard bands or fringes of other markets. Empty. Useless.

I must repeat that if we really do get rid of every other communication system, some of them 200 years old and working perfectly to fill a small niche somewhere, for one big stupid surveilled controlled Man-turns-on-your-mike 1984 net thing, all plastered with ads that modify your device while they're at it, we deserve to fail as a civilization.

--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

We're at most two years from a backlash against the Prison Cell.

You see vague unease, far outside the narrow focus of The Nooz, that maybe spending over 50% of your life staring at screens isn't so great after all. Also, there's the whole spectacle of people tuning out life and living in one endless text exchange. And, of course, the growing realization that the NSA isn't doing anything corporations don't do every time you stare at said screen.

FCC just loves spectrum auctions. Most have been disasters. They sell what used to be the commonweal - EM spectrum - to some robber baron, and then they act surprised when it's underused or used for more of the same old crap.

At least in this case, the spectrum was vacated when another set of robber barons changed over to digital TV on higher frequencies. Old analog TV required an incredible chunk of spectrum, and most of it was... wait for it... NOTHING. Guard bands or fringes of other markets. Empty. Useless.

I must repeat that if we really do get rid of every other communication system, some of them 200 years old and working perfectly to fill a small niche somewhere, for one big stupid surveilled controlled Man-turns-on-your-mike 1984 net thing, all plastered with ads that modify your device while they're at it, we deserve to fail as a civilization.

lately i run into all sorta peeps all saying the same thing....people hardly even use
phones anymore
becuz you cant talk on them; youre calling someone who's cell
burns incoming time they cant talk, they call someone burning outgoing time they cant
talk...so WTF is the point of paying for some thing you can barely use.