Historic Amazon vote

News and events of the day
gounion

Historic Amazon vote

Post by gounion »

So, the Amazon workers in Staten Island won an historic vote after Amazon has spent $4.3 million in anti-union efforts.

So, now Amazon is going to go after the government for... well, enforcing the law.

Which corporations HATE.

And when it comes to corporate rights vs. human rights, the right ALWAYS goes against human beings and democracy.

The also lie. All the fucking time. They can't tell the truth about unions. Look at CNBC idiot Jim Cramer. He's never been known for honesty. So he's freaked out about having a union at Amazon. Here's what he says:
While discussing the victory on CNBC, Cramer complained that Amazon will no longer be allowed to order their workers at the State Island warehouse to show up whenever they're needed.

"If you can't tell your employees when they work, then you're really not able to have much of an ability to move product," he said. “The unions will be in charge of time that you need to work, and that would be dreadful!"

Cramer did acknowledge unions do exist in other companies and that those companies are still profitable, but he then pivoted back to griping about unions being able to set schedules for workers.

"No one wants to work certain shifts," he said. "So you can just say, 'Listen I'm not going to work that shift.' And Amazon would not be able to say, 'Yes you must work it!' So that's what's at stake with unions."

Cramer also added that "one reason why Amazon works so well is that people must work when Amazon says you must work.
That's simply a lie. Instead of making real case against unions, he lies. I guess that means that he CAN'T make an honest case against unions.

I've worked union for 20 years in plants, under contracts that have been in place for decades, where the unions got improvements every year.

Now, every contract has differences, but there aren't contracts where the union chooses when people work. Here's the facts:

Union contracts usually have seniority clauses, but how much power seniority has varies greatly.

Let's be clear: Staffing is part of the company rights clause in every contract. They decide how many employees to have, and when they work. Now, most manufacturers work on a five-day, eight hour day. extra hours during the week or on the weekend is subject to overtime pay.

Some companies have went to irregular workweeks, which has often been controversial among employees. But some employees like things like four ten-hour days, along with others working 3 12-hour days. But here's what's funny - I've seen a lot of these companies later want to go back to the five-day, forty hour week.

You always seem to want what you don't have! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for people being able to refuse shifts, that's not true. Sometimes contracts allows the companies to decide who works when. But USUALLY, people can pick shifts by seniority. I can tell you now, in a three-shift system, second shift, the evening shift, is the least desirable. Lots of people love third shift, the overnight shift, but it's usually got the fewest people on it.

When I went to work, first and second shift was eight and a half hours, with the half-hour unpaid lunch. We had two five-minute paid breaks. We couldn't have overlap, so third shift was only seven hours, with a half hour lunch, but the third shift were still paid for eight hours. Second shift has a small shift differential, an extra quarter an hour.

So, lots of folks wanted to work that third shift, but it was never fully staffed, and when work was slack, it was often empty. But boy did people love it.

So, you could pick your shift by seniority. They only shifted once every six months, and if you put in a transfer request, you couldn't put in another for two years. So, what happened was the new workers would go to second shift, and stay there until there was an opening by seniority. I was on second shift for four years. So, those bi-annual shifts were usually pretty damned small.

And BTW, new hires were informed the job was a second-shift job, and it might be a while before they could go to first. So, they could decided whether they wanted to work that shift or look for a different job.

And that's another reason that a union means you have less turnover and more experienced workers - because that seniority is important to them.

But in times of layoffs, every shift but the first shift would shrink, all by seniority. And say you had lots of seniority, and they had layoffs and ended third shift. You would then go to the shift of your choice by seniority in that layoff.

It was an excellent system. Often the second-shifters were young people, and as they started families, they could go to first shift to be aligned with their family schedule.

Some folks LOVED second shift, and would NEVER go to first shift. There were plenty of senior people to keep experienced workers around. And we loved second shift because there wasn't as many suits running around keeping people from getting their work done.

Yes, almost always, second shifts almost always have better productivity. And then we get off at 11 PM and head to the bars... Ah, youth... Yes, as Billy Joel would say, I drank a lot of take-home pay-hey-hey!

In a warehouse business like Amazon, I'm sure they work every hour of the week. Now, Amazon may currently be able to move everyone around at will, day by day. That's hell on anyone who has kids or are going to school party-time.

But that's easy for bosses, because that means they don't have to plan anything. They just move everyone around at will.

And I'm sure that's a reason the workers unionized, as they need some stability in work schedules. What I'm sure the workers will try to negotiate is to have shifts set, and there might be quite a few different schedules. One "shift" might be days, Monday-Thursday, and another would be days, Friday-Sunday. So, not three, but maybe seven or more. And the company would decide how many people would be on each shift.

Also, if they had different job classifications or levels, they could decide how many of each would be on each shift.

Then, people would elect which shift they preferred, and the company would fill those shifts by seniority.

NONE of this is EVER decided "by the union". The company would do so by, well, simple math. If they ignore the system, then the union would file a grievance.

So, the bottom line, the company decides staffing levels, and then they staff by seniority, and the workers can't change their minds day by day or week by week.

So why is it the right can never make an ACTUAL case against unions? Why must they lie?
gounion

Re: Historic Amazon vote

Post by gounion »

Here's the guy who led the workers to victory at the Staten Island Amazon facility, Chris Smalls.

Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Just saw him give an interview in his car, I think...Chris Hayes
I sigh in your general direction.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

gounion wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:24 pm The also lie. All the fucking time. They can't tell the truth about unions. Look at CNBC idiot Jim Cramer. He's never been known for honesty. So he's freaked out about having a union at Amazon.
Cool! Someone besides me noticed the bizarre freakout on CNBC when the news came out that a majority at one (1) one measly Amazon warehouse, in New York City which is the all time union town, voted for a union. Those guys were beside themselves. Don't worry, said one, they'll appeal it. No problem, said another, the warehouse in Alabama voted to remain Bezos' wage slaves, someone still knows who's boss.

But you could tell that they weren't happy campers.

For sure, a dream world. Don't know whether they were consciously lying or they just live in a bubble there at CNBC in 30 Rock. Or both. But yes, major cognitive dissonance here.

When I stopped ruining my day watching covid, crime, or the war on the Nooz, I started following CNBC in the morning to see how our portfolio is doing. Usually I come in during the Tech Check. Now that makes Cramer's thing look like reality by comparison. That segment, every week day, comes from nowhere. Who are these people, and what dimension are they from? Must be the most insular part of the Metaverse. The imaginary number axis, for sure.

Needless to say they were even more freaked by a union vote in an Amazon warehouse. These are people who are paid to take crypto and NFT seriously.

CNBC is getting as unsettling as the Nooz. Soon there will only be the Weather Channel.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:24 pm "If you can't tell your employees when they work, then you're really not able to have much of an ability to move product," he said. “The unions will be in charge of time that you need to work, and that would be dreadful!"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

GOOD!

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

:lol:

Aaron Huertas
@aaronhuertas

lol I bet you are, good luck with that

https://twitter.com/aaronhuertas/status ... 0166827017

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ZoWie »

One wonders about the hypocrisy of an anti-union crusade being waged from what are almost certainly union sets in midtown NYC. IA Local One country, that.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:36 pm One wonders about the hypocrisy of an anti-union crusade being waged from what are almost certainly union sets in midtown NYC. IA Local One country, that.
Right??

These people...

Then there's this. Black Twitter was all over it Oscars night because a ton of name-recognition people showed up:

Ella Septima-Hamer
@jbrous41

We should talk about you crossing that picket line.

[.QT]
Questo
@questlove

Can we FINNNNNNNALY stop talking about it?

https://twitter.com/jbrous41/status/1510026689853730822

Jay-Z’s Oscar Gold Party Picketed by Labor Union Outside Chateau Marmont - Hollywood Reporter

Black Clergy Leaders Urge Jay-Z to Move Chateau Oscar Party Amid Hotel Boycott - Hollywood Reporter

This was UNITE/HERE Local 11.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Cancel culture.

Amazon to ban ‘union’ and other words from staff chat app – report - Guardian
Planned social media app would also prevent workers from using terms such as ‘fire’, ‘slave labor’, ‘diversity’ and ‘injustice’

Amazon reportedly discussed plans to block the word “union” and other related keywords from an internal messaging app the company is developing for workers, according to company documents seen by the Intercept.

The list of banned words includes “union”, “fire”, “compensation”, “plantation”, “slave labor”, “diversity”, “robots”, “grievance” and “injustice”, among others, the Intercept reported. The news came days after Amazon workers in New York made history by voting to form a union, the first successful US organizing effort in the company’s history.

The app, a pilot of which is set to launch later this month, is designed to serve as an internal social media program where workers can praise their colleagues’ performance, the Intercept reported. It was created with the intention of increasing happiness among workers in order to reduce attrition. Developers created an “auto bad word monitor” to prevent workers from sending inappropriate messages, and also included words related to organizing and workplace conditions.

“With free text, we risk people writing Shout-Outs that generate negative sentiments among the viewers and the receivers,” an Amazon document on the program states. “We want to lean towards being restrictive on the content that can be posted to prevent a negative associate experience.”

Amazon told the Guardian that the proposed app, if it launches, would only screen terms that are “offensive or harassing”.

“Our teams are always thinking about new ways to help employees engage with each other. This particular program has not been approved yet and may change significantly or even never launch at all,” Barbara M Agrait, an Amazon spokesperson, said in a statement.
:? :roll:

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Motor City »

This is a pretty good, informative conversation for the time and of the past.
There are many moving pieces to this story, and I was fortunate enough to have Real New Network editor-in-chief and labor historian Max Alvarez sit down to talk with me about the history of the labor movement, where things are now, and how this new chapter in its history will affect our country going forward.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHed96HYC8I

Marianne talks to Real News Network editor-in-chief and labor historian Max Alvarez in the wake of the historic vote to unionize a Staten Island Amazon warehouse.