My Mom Died Last Night

Introduce Yourself! Reintroduce Yourself!

Let's get to know each other...

Moderators: plunderer, Bernie the union guy

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

My Mom Died Last Night

Post by ProfessorX »

So ... we're all virtual family here, right? Even including the dysfunctional relationships? Even if we don't know each other's real names (though some here do).

Some of this you may know already as I've mentioned it. My Mom was being treated for small cell lung cancer. This is why I've been so worried about her, she was in the most vulnerable group for COVID-19.

The last time they released her from hospital, they told us her cancer could not be treated any further ... they placed her in hospice care. That meant, they told me, in all likelihood, less than 6 months to live. I didn't say much about that publicly ... wanted her to get the chance to tell all her friends first.

Well, that clock ended last night. She died last night. I just found out this morning. Now we have to have a funeral in the middle of a pandemic. :cry:
-- Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.
Malaclypse the Younger

bird
Board Emeritus

Re: My Mom Died Last Night

Post by bird »

ProfessorX wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:04 am
So ... we're all virtual family here, right? Even including the dysfunctional relationships? Even if we don't know each other's real names (though some here do).

Some of this you may know already as I've mentioned it. My Mom was being treated for small cell lung cancer. This is why I've been so worried about her, she was in the most vulnerable group for COVID-19.

The last time they released her from hospital, they told us her cancer could not be treated any further ... they placed her in hospice care. That meant, they told me, in all likelihood, less than 6 months to live. I didn't say much about that publicly ... wanted her to get the chance to tell all her friends first.

Well, that clock ended last night. She died last night. I just found out this morning. Now we have to have a funeral in the middle of a pandemic. :cry:
So sorry to hear this, Professor. I hope she was comfortable and did not suffer.

She will live in your memory.

Peace to her friends, to you and your family.
bird's theorem-"we the people" are stupid.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

ap215
Board Emeritus

Post by ap215 »

My condolences Prof.

ted
Political Junkie

Post by ted »

Cancer sucks.

You have my deepest sympathies sir.

Doremus Jessup
Political Junkie

Post by Doremus Jessup »

Be Strong.

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

When I saw you had a post on FB I assumed it was you telling everyone about Hospice. Then I saw it and my heart sank.

I said it on FB I will say it here. Your mother knew what a good friend you are, what a good professor you are and what a good human being you are. As a parent myself I can tell you how much that means, and you arent the only one she was proud of but I wont go into that here as it is private info.

You are gonna be busy for a while...you know people love you so hold on to that, my friend!
Excuse me while I use a BROAD BRUSH to say anyone who spends one minute defending anything rump is just as guilty as he is of all his crimes

Motor City
Policy Wonk

Post by Motor City »

Sorry for your loss Professor, Wishing you an your family peace and comfort through this.

ZoWie
Board Emeritus

Post by ZoWie »

My mother went the same way. You have my condolences, Professor.

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

I'm sorry to hear that X.

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

The night nurse attending her tells me she went in her sleep, quietly.

Yes, I am full of pain still, but yes, I'm glad her suffering is over.

I'm sorry I have to bury her in the middle of a pandemic. But, then, I buried my father in the wake of a hurricane, literally days later.

Seems it's always something. :(
Malaclypse the Younger

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

ProfessorX wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:18 pm

I'm sorry I have to bury her in the middle of a pandemic. But, then, I buried my father in the wake of a hurricane, literally days later.

That is how my parents both died. Hang in there, what a shit job you have now.
Excuse me while I use a BROAD BRUSH to say anyone who spends one minute defending anything rump is just as guilty as he is of all his crimes

rainwater
Board Emeritus

Post by rainwater »

ProfessorX wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:18 pm

so, ah, your folks both enjoyed having a really big show, eh? :)

sorry about your loss and you know she had a good run. peace.
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids, They speak
for all that is cruel stupid, They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of
these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it, Fuck them.
HST.

bradman
Policy Wonk

Post by bradman »

This long in life and i've yet to find the proper words for something like this...................
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. - Will Rogers

will_from_chicago

Post by will_from_chicago »

I am so sorry. May your mother's memory be for a blessing. May her memory comfort you.

May the day come soon when the joy of her memory help you through your sorrow.
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" - Hillel

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

Thanks will.
Malaclypse the Younger

will_from_chicago

Post by will_from_chicago »

With time, you may have an experience like I did with my Dad. He was known to have a sarcastic sense of humor.

A few weeks after he passed, I had an interview at a small newspaper in a town on the edge of the Chicago area. As I got off the highway, I heard my Dad's voice in the back of my head and what he would have said on seeing the town" "Ah, the best of both worlds. An industrial slum in the middle of a cornfield." (Sadly, that was accurate.)

With time, you will think of what your Mom would say and do in a given situation. It can be a comfort.
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" - Hillel

carmenjonze
Board Emeritus

Post by carmenjonze »

We've talked about this off-RFL but just wanted to offer condolences again. I know how it is.

Stop calling the cops on us.