Amen Corner: Liberal and Progressive Religion Stories in the News

News and events of the day
carmenjonze

Amen Corner: Liberal and Progressive Religion Stories in the News

Post by carmenjonze »

The Amen Corner continues.

Archbishop Riordan is a RCC diocese school in San Francisco.

S.F.'s Riordan high school students walk out during antiabortion presentation - SF Chronicle
Hundreds of students at Archbishop Riordan High School staged a walkout Friday during an all-school assembly that featured a prominent antiabortion speaker.

About five minutes into the presentation, during which staff members patrolled the doors, students at the Catholic high school exited the theater and walked into the gym, since school rules don’t permit them to leave campus. A few dozen of the school’s more than 800 students remained in the theater for the entire presentation.

The speaker, Megan Almon, works with the Life Training Institute, a program that focuses on teaching people who are opposed to abortion to “persuasively defend their views in the marketplace of ideas,” and sends its speakers to Catholic and Christian schools everywhere, its website says. The Catholic Church’s official stance is also antiabortion.

The assembly comes on the heels of women’s marches across the nation, including one in San Francisco, in support of reproductive rights as conservative states like Texas attempt to restrict abortion rights — timing that was frustrating to Riordan parents and students.

Almon’s speech also follows San Francisco Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone’s intensified public campaign to persuade House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a fellow Catholic, to renounce her support of abortion rights. Cordileone, who oversees the diocese’s Catholic schools, including Riordan, is launching $50,000 digital ad in which he asks viewers to pray and fast as a sign of support, calling the effort the Rose and Rosary for Nancy Campaign.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Re: Amen Corner: Liberal and Progressive Religion Stories in the News

Post by carmenjonze »

For all the people still convinced every religious person is dumber than you...

In historically Black Protestant churches, regular attenders more likely to have received COVID-19 shot - Pew Research
Black churches in particular, which often play prominent roles in Black civic life, have received a lot of attention for holding vaccination clinics and urging members to get a coronavirus shot. And according to a new Pew Research Center analysis, members of the historically Black Protestant tradition who regularly attend church are more likely to be vaccinated than those who do not attend regularly.

Roughly eight-in-ten members (82%) of the historically Black Protestant tradition who attend church once a month or more have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, compared with 60% of those from the same religious tradition who attend church less often, according to the analysis, based on a survey conducted Aug. 23-29, 2021. A later poll, fielded Sept. 20-26, sheds some light on possible explanations for this large gap: Nearly two-thirds of regular churchgoers in the historically Black Protestant tradition (64%) say that their pastors have encouraged people to get a COVID-19 vaccine.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by sam lefthand »

I wrote about why I got a COVID vaccination. Then I was fired from my job.
Today, there are perverse incentives against unity among Christians, to fail to give the benefit of the doubt, to rush to judgment.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 647636001/
Editor's note: The National Religious Broadcasters fired Daniel Darling, senior vice president of communications, Friday for opinions expressed in a Aug. 1 column in which he recommended that Christians get a COVID-19 vaccination. The Religion News Service reported that NRB executives told Darling that his public comments violated the organization’s policy of neutrality on COVID-19 vaccines.

While I don't believe that I violated their policy, I harbor no animosity toward my former employer, who are my brothers and sisters in Christ. It was an honor to serve Christian communicators who work every day to share the Gospel around the world.

I am overwhelmed by all the support I’ve received in recent days after my firing became national news. However, I am deeply grieved by the division among Christian brothers and sisters.
At the end it had this:

:lol:

Not your average article.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

sam lefthand wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:27 pmNot your average article.
Do you know what the NRB is?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by sam lefthand »

carmenjonze wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:06 pm Do you know what the NRB is?
Yes, they are a Chinese ball bearing manufacture mega kind of corporation that are trying to take over the world.

:|

Why do you ask?
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

sam lefthand wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:12 am

troll

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by sam lefthand »

Christians Against Dinosaurs

carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

sam lefthand wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:33 pm

troll

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Poor People's Campaign
@UniteThePoor

We’re headed to the Hart building to deliver our message to @SenatorManchin and @SenatorSinema! The people will not allow them to stop our progress!

[VIDEO]

https://twitter.com/UniteThePoor/status ... 6622009347

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Poor People's Campaign
@UniteThePoor

A moment of silence for the 3rd anniversary of the Tree of Life Massacre, and a reminder that in our fusion movement we will not let hate win. #UnitethePoor

https://twitter.com/UniteThePoor/status ... 0954134528

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by sam lefthand »

carmenjonze wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:59 pm Poor People's Campaign
@UniteThePoor

A moment of silence for the 3rd anniversary of the Tree of Life Massacre, and a reminder that in our fusion movement we will not let hate win. #UnitethePoor

https://twitter.com/UniteThePoor/status ... 0954134528

"A moment of silence ... ". The way Jews do a moment of silence is to accompany the silence with a deafening siren.

However Jews do say "Amen" when they recite Shelama Rabba, which is a prayer for the soul of the deceased.

This is a translation of how it goes:
Exalted and hallowed be His great Name. (Congregation responds: “Amen.”)

In the world which He will create anew, where He will revive the dead, construct His temple, deliver life, and rebuild the city of Jerusalem, and uproot foreign idol worship from His land, and restore the holy service of Heaven to its place, along with His radiance, splendor and Shechinah, and may He bring forth His redemption and hasten the coming of His Moshiach. (Cong: “Amen.”)

In your lifetime and in your days and in the lifetime of the entire House of Israel, sword, famine and death shall cease from us and from the entire Jewish nation, speedily and soon, and say, Amen.

(Cong: “Amen. May His great Name be blessed forever and to all eternity, blessed.”)

May His great Name be blessed forever and to all eternity. Blessed and praised, glorified, exalted and extolled, honored, adored and lauded be the Name of the Holy One, blessed be He. (Cong: “Amen.”)

Beyond all the blessings, hymns, praises and consolations that are uttered in the world; and say, Amen. (Cong: “Amen.”)

May there be abundant peace from heaven, and a good life for us and for all Israel; and say, Amen. (Cong: “Amen.”)

*He Who makes peace (Between Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur substitute: “the peace”) in His heavens, may He make peace for us and for all Israel; and say, Amen. (Cong: “Amen.”)
https://www.jewish-funeral-home.com/mourners-kaddish/
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/statu ... 5220230150
“This is what I like to call you: social poets. You are social poets, because you have the ability and the courage to create hope where there appears to be only waste and exclusion. Poetry means creativity, and you create hope.” - Pope Francis. Read this!
In case you missed it

https://www.vatican.va/content/francesc ... olari.html
....This system, with its relentless logic of profit, is escaping all human control. It is time to slow the locomotive down, an out-of-control locomotive hurtling towards the abyss. There is still time.

Together with the poor of the earth, I wish to ask governments in general, politicians of all parties, to represent their people and to work for the common good. I want to ask them for the courage to look at their own people, to look people in the eye, and the courage to know that the good of a people is much more than a consensus between parties (cf. Evangelii gaudium, 218). Let them stop listening exclusively to the economic elites, who so often spout superficial ideologies that ignore humanity's real dilemmas. May they be servants of the people who demand land, work, housing and good living. This aboriginal good living or buen vivir is not the same as “la dolce vita” or “sweet idleness”, no. This is good human living that puts us in harmony with all humanity, with all creation.

I also want to ask all of us religious leaders never to use the name of God to foment wars or coups (cf. Document on Human Fraternity, 2019). Let us stand by the peoples, the workers, the humble, and let us struggle together with them so that integral human development may become a reality. Let us build bridges of love so that the voices of the periphery with their weeping, but also with their singing and joy, provoke not fear but empathy in the rest of society.

And so, I persist in my pestering. It is necessary to confront together the populist discourses of intolerance, xenophobia, and aporophobia, which is hatred of the poor. Like everything that leads us to indifference, meritocracy and individualism, these narratives only serve to divide our peoples, and to undermine and nullify our poetic capacity, the capacity to dream together.....
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

This is a big deal!

Think about the ramifications about how many Supreme Court Judges are Catholic, and how this might affect abortion cases which are going before that court this term.

:D

Biden says Pope told him he's a good Catholic and should continue receiving communion

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/29/politics ... index.html
Rome (CNN)President Joe Biden said Friday that Pope Francis told the President that he should continue receiving communion, and the Pope is happy that Biden is a "good Catholic."

The revelation of the Pope's words to Biden come after American bishops moved forward with a plan that tried to permit individual bishops to deny communion to politicians who support abortion rights, setting up a potential public rebuke of Biden along with other prominent Catholic Democrats, such as House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

Biden revealed the details of his lengthy talks with Francis as he was greeting Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi in Rome.
gounion

Post by gounion »

sam lefthand wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:26 pm This is a big deal!

Think about the ramifications about how many Supreme Court Judges are Catholic, and how this might affect abortion cases which are going before that court this term.

:D

Biden says Pope told him he's a good Catholic and should continue receiving communion

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/29/politics ... index.html
Six justices are Catholic, only Sotomayor was nominated by a Dem. I don't think the Pope needs to say a word to them, though.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

gounion wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:55 pm Six justices are Catholic, only Sotomayor was nominated by a Dem. I don't think the Pope needs to say a word to them, though.
I don't think the Pope cares one whit about the abortion issue in the US or anywhere else in the world. I think what the Pope cares the most about is that the largest business concern in the world, THE HOLY CHURCH, has been financially imperiled by stupid bishops and priests who've foolishly buggered generations of alter boys thinking they had some kind of right.

Many of which are the same seriously tone deaf stupid bishops and priests who preside over the US Catholic Church assets.

:|

I expect the Pope would like nothing more than to fire the whole lot of them. The Pope clearly understands that the Church has to steer clear of hot button politics in the US.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

sam lefthand wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:00 pmThe Pope clearly understands that the Church has to steer clear of hot button politics in the US.
This Pope does. It's important to liberal Catholics. Same for his stances on homosexuality for LGBQ Catholics. Trans Cathlolics...not so much.

But there's no point in underestimating the significance to adherents.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ap215 »

Take that conservative priests.

Biden receives Communion in Rome amid debate in US

ROME (AP) — President Joe Biden received Communion at St. Patrick’s Church during Saturday Vigil Mass, a day after saying Pope Francis told him he should continue to partake in the sacrament, despite the opposition of some conservatives in the U.S. upset with his position on abortion.

Biden and his wife, Jill, visited the English-speaking church that is the main place of worship for the American Catholic community in Rome and is located near the U.S. Embassy. The president stopped in between events at the Group of 20 world leaders’ summit taking place in the city this weekend.

https://apnews.com/article/pope-francis ... 262b1c41a1
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ap215 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:09 pm Take that conservative priests.

Biden receives Communion in Rome amid debate in US

ROME (AP) — President Joe Biden received Communion at St. Patrick’s Church during Saturday Vigil Mass, a day after saying Pope Francis told him he should continue to partake in the sacrament, despite the opposition of some conservatives in the U.S. upset with his position on abortion.

Biden and his wife, Jill, visited the English-speaking church that is the main place of worship for the American Catholic community in Rome and is located near the U.S. Embassy. The president stopped in between events at the Group of 20 world leaders’ summit taking place in the city this weekend.

https://apnews.com/article/pope-francis ... 262b1c41a1
What is the controversy? Some Catholic folks think decent, peaceful humans dont belong in the church?

On a serious note, I remember our priest who was a friend of the family, Michael Culligan. Very liberal guy. Cool guy. So I dont hate on Catholics like some do but some of them are assholes.
I sigh in your general direction.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unVNaYCb0Rs
Coalition-building and bridging religious communities for poverty mitigation

Caritas, Social Friendship, and the End of Poverty
| Science and Ethics of Happiness

Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences
October 3-4, 2021
Casina Pio IV, Vatican City
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

++++++++++

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Motor City »

As Thanksgiving approaches the Poor PeoplesCampaign and Reverends plead for a pardon for Dontae Sharpe and others who have been wrongly imprisoned, instead of mocking justice and using powers to pardon a turkey they ask NC Governor Roy Cooper to pardon human beings wrongfully convicted and punished for crimes they didnt commit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f0qyzL7lhQ
Week 7 Freedom Fridays Vigil in front of NC Governor Roy Cooper’s mansion to demand a pardon for Dontae Sharpe & action on ALL pardons NOW!
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Libertas wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:34 pm So I dont hate on Catholics like some do but some of them are assholes.
Liberta I'm glad you don't hate them, I don't "hate on" any religion either, except for them Aztecs. They ran vast runnels of human sacrificial blood. I "hate on" that. We disposed of that religion a long time ago.

:)

I'm here as a Jew to tell you some Jews are assholes too. Here's Ghenghiz Cohen the Jew at the very apex of that asshole list:

He's so over the asshole top he's funny as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7v_TdLviUE

Watch this 30 minute Jewish asshole video. It's the highest quality animation you will see this year. The credits run for 6 minutes, perhaps a thousand names while a very good ballad is sung.

:)

The credits part is as good as the movie part. If you watch this video I know you will be passing out the link to show it to others. So don't miss it.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Sisters travel to Washington, D.C. for prayer vigil - Yahoo Sports
Sister Editha Ben has seen military violence and intimidation that prompts families to leave their home in search of a better life.

A native of the Philippines, she remembers her family's home being raided and the local mayor being ambushed in politically motivated attacks.

"Our family was threatened," she said. "I saw the violence and the fear of living in a politically driven and cruel society and so I have a heart for immigrants who are seeking asylum to be freed from those fears of violence."

Ben is among eight Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods and two Providence Associates who will join more than 75 women religious and others today for a news conference and prayer vigil outside the White House in Washington, D.C.

They are calling on the Biden administration to rescind the use of Title 42 for a public health crisis while restoring the right to asylum at the southern border of the United States.

The Sisters of Providence will join other Catholic sisters from various congregations and others from the Network Lobby for Catholic Social Justice as they share stories from the border.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

sam lefthand wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:01 pmWe disposed of that religion a long time ago.
You disposed of that religion via settler colonialism, land-stealing and -exploitation, mass murder, and forced assimilation?

Congratulations to you.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

IMHO, aspects of the Aztec religion are still around, particularly in Mexican festivals like the Day of the Dead.

Other indigenous groups in Mexico are still practicing their religion, such as the Mazatec or Zapotec. What the differences are between them and the Aztecs we can get into - don't know if anyone's really all that interested. :D

As for some Jews being assholes, well, duh. I could start with Stephen Miller, and keep going. Unfortunately, every ethnic and religious group has them. "Genghiz Cohen," now that I dig.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D